View Full Version : gaming on the upcoming Cingular HTC Wizard

dingobiatch
11-10-2005, 09:19 AM
I forget the model number of the upcoming Cingular HTC Wizard phone, but I am concerned about something. It only has a 195mhz or so processor...
Is that going to be sufficient for most applications? I used to have an iPaq h4155, which was something like 400mhz. I loved playing Doom ports, SNES emulators, etc. Am I going to be able to do this at all on this phone?
I have heard that the HTC Wizard is a dual-processor... but even so, I am freaking out because seeing as it's WM5, doesn't it not have nearly as much memory to put towards applications?

Thanks,
Max

PS: I know im being stupid to be worrying about gaming on a Pocket PC phone... but it's something I need to know.

Carlos
11-13-2005, 08:17 PM
The Wizard doesn't have dual processors. MHz speed isn't a complete way to describe actual speed, as the processors may be more or less efficient per clock cycle. The CDMA version of the Wizard, PPC6700, which I have, contains a 416MHz PXA processor, but is probably not much faster than the slower-clocked OMAP processor.

WM5 has far more memory than previous versions, because it is managed so much better. I've been using it for nearly a year and would never consider going back. I have to support a bunch of 2003SE devices and hate having to worry about memory allocations in them.

I have no idea about the games and speed. You might ask the manufacturers of the games for their minimum/recommended specs.

Chris Spera
11-13-2005, 09:27 PM
The CDMA version of the phone you mention is not a Wizard, its an Apache, and its a completely different PPC, tho it has similar capabilities. Its a different device.

The OMAP850 processor is a dual core processor. So you're right there, the Wizard doesn't have more than one processor, but it does have a dual core processor. One core is dedicated to the phone, the other to the PDA. Both cores run no faster than 200MHz, each. On the PDA side, while there may be some slow down, its not bad.

Many 400MHz PPC-PE's, like the PDA2k, can at times slow to a crawl or freeze because the processor gets stuck trying to do something on the Phone side. The dual core status of the OMAP850, and others like it, are designed to prevent that from happening. Other speed enhancers are the graphics processor, speed rating of the SDRAM, other programs in RAM, etc.

So to get to the root of the original question, I'm not entirely certain that this is the best gaming machine. Devices like the Axim x50/x51 may be a better choice due to their graphics processor; but that's just my opinion.

MitchellO
11-14-2005, 03:52 AM
I installed Anthelion onto my K-JAM, and it runs exactly the same as it did on my XDA Mini. I was even able to map the softkey buttons to controls in the game!

dingobiatch
11-14-2005, 04:34 AM
but will i be able to play most of those entertaining (not amazing 3d graphics) games that are out there?

im kinda hoping the phone will be a good mix of a good cell phone w/ an ipaq.. haha.

MitchellO
11-14-2005, 06:17 AM
im kinda hoping the phone will be a good mix of a good cell phone w/ an ipaq.. haha.

Lol, thats funny becausethe iPAQ 63/6515 aren't a good mix of phone and iPAQ :P :P :P

I will see if I can find the Doom port and give it a go. Mind you, my old NGage (Nokia Series 60 smartphone) played it fine so the Wizard should too.

MitchellO
11-14-2005, 06:28 AM
http://home.freeuk.com/gamefreaks/pql/gfDoom.htm

This port of doom works perfectly!!!