View Full Version : Why, oh why, was Backup/Restore removed from WM 5?

aroma
11-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Why in the world would MS removed the ActiveSync Backup/Restore feature from WM 5? Sure, we now have persistant storage, but there are PLEANTY of other reasons why you would want to backup your mobile device. Hmmm... first no WiFi PC sync, then this...

biglouis
11-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Why oh why did they take out the ability to manually control autosync in 4.0? Clearly we consumers are but distractions to the mighty wisdom of Microsoft product managers.

Maybe one day they'll reveal their masterplan...... but probably not.

After nearly 25 years of dealing with the vagaries of Microsoft the one thing I do know is that whatever they do decide, we'll be the last know.

LouisB

PetiteFlower
11-11-2005, 07:19 AM
I want to know why AS randomly starts ITSELF on my PDA when it's not plugged in now. At first I just thought that it was starting after a soft reset, but I've noticed it appearing in my task manager at various times throughout the day whether I've reset or not. It causes my system to slow down and get errors and it's really annoying! Why would AS need to be running when the damn thing isn't connected to anything it's syncing with?!?

Nurhisham Hussein
11-11-2005, 07:45 AM
That sounds like mobile schedule has been enabled - though I don't know if that still exists in WM5.0 (anyone?). In WM2003SE, you can disable it through the options menu in the Activesync app.

aroma
11-11-2005, 03:03 PM
That sounds like mobile schedule has been enabled - though I don't know if that still exists in WM5.0 (anyone?).

Yep, you can still schedule AS.