View Full Version : Looking for something more . . .

Ralph Tomaccio
11-08-2005, 01:20 AM
When do you think any GPS/PDA manufacturer will come out with a PDA with a feature set similar to Dell's Axim X51v and combine it with a INTEGRATED GPS with a feature set similar to the US Globalsat BT-338 SiRFIII Bluetooth GPS Receiver?

There seem to be many options if you want an "add-on" GPS to go with your PDA, and there are some PDA's with integrated GPS but whose features are based on older technology. ie, Garmin comes out with a "New" M4, but upon a closer look, it really is a new model with a rehashed set of features - just a "ho-hum" new product which doesn't make me want to run out and buy one. I don't mean to just pick on Garmin because a lot of the companies are doing this. I wish just one would take the lead and come out with a state of the art PDA/Integrated GPS for the rest of us! I thought for certain someone would do this for the upcoming holiday seson.

Anyone else feel the same as I do?

Sven Johannsen
11-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Kind of, but a high end PPC with an integrated GPS is going to be expensive and cater to a niche market. It is not to tought to take a current PPC and essentially glue in a CF GPS with a hinge permanently. But to integrate a GPS cleanly into a state of the art PPC, will take a bit more investment, and the expectation of return has to be there.

Duncan
11-09-2005, 08:30 AM
When do you think any GPS/PDA manufacturer will come out with a PDA with a feature set similar to Dell's Axim X51v and combine it with a INTEGRATED GPS with a feature set similar to the US Globalsat BT-338 SiRFIII Bluetooth GPS Receiver?

Perhaps - just perhaps mind - something like this will come sooner than you might think... Obviously I'm just wildly speculating here...! ;)

Nurhisham Hussein
11-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Duncan, you're a cruel man. :wink:

Ralph Tomaccio
11-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Kind of, but a high end PPC with an integrated GPS is going to be expensive and cater to a niche market. It is not to tought to take a current PPC and essentially glue in a CF GPS with a hinge permanently. But to integrate a GPS cleanly into a state of the art PPC, will take a bit more investment, and the expectation of return has to be there.

You may be right. But on the other hand, I see high end PPC combined with cell phones and digital cameras. With GPS appearing to be coming on strong lately, I can't imagine it not being a key feature in the high-end as well.

Duncan
11-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Duncan, you're a cruel man. :wink:

What? For wild and random speculation...? 8O

Sven Johannsen
11-09-2005, 08:30 PM
You may be right. But on the other hand, I see high end PPC combined with cell phones and digital cameras.

True, but those things are pretty pricey. The saving grace is the phone which lends itself to carrier subsidy.

Ralph Tomaccio
11-09-2005, 08:39 PM
You may be right. But on the other hand, I see high end PPC combined with cell phones and digital cameras.

True, but those things are pretty pricey. The saving grace is the phone which lends itself to carrier subsidy.

That's my point in mentioning high end PPC combined with cell phones and digital cameras - they are pricey, but many people are willing to spend the bucks to get what they want. I don't think a high-end PPC with integrated GPS would be any more of a niche than those.