View Full Version : Help!!!

Patrick Y.
11-06-2005, 02:24 AM
How do you COMPLETELY wipe a disk or storage card? By completely, I mean erasing every trace of the file on the card.
Thanks!!!

kaitanium
11-06-2005, 03:45 AM
format it? using cnetx or pocket mechanic or a program like that? or do you not want those hidden system files either

Patrick Y.
11-06-2005, 07:23 AM
I remembered that I read something somewhere that says that formatting a card won't wipe a card completely clean. There are still traces of the data that allows data recovery problem to recover the complete data still.

Darius Wey
11-06-2005, 09:22 AM
I remembered that I read something somewhere that says that formatting a card won't wipe a card completely clean. There are still traces of the data that allows data recovery problem to recover the complete data still.

That's more to do with mechanical drives than memory cards, but yes, it's still possible to recover data from memory cards under remote circumstances.

If you want to wipe your media completely, use an application like Eraser. (http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/) Generally though, a full format through a PC or Pocket PC is suffice unless you work for the government. ;)

Patrick Y.
11-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Generally though, a full format through a PC or Pocket PC is suffice unless you work for the government. ;)

Thanks, I guess I worry too much. It's just that I'm passing the memory card to my brother and I DON'T want him to read all my private stuff, such as my homework, diary, etc. :oops:

Nurhisham Hussein
11-07-2005, 01:13 AM
I'd say formating through a PC would be the best bet - just use the full format by unchecking the quick format option (and don't forget to format in FAT rather than NTFS, which PPCs can't read).

Cybrid
11-08-2005, 08:25 PM

That's more to do with mechanical drives than memory cards, but yes, it's still possible to recover data from memory cards under remote circumstances.

If you want to wipe your media completely, use an application like Eraser. (http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/) Generally though, a full format through a PC or Pocket PC is suffice unless you work for the government. ;)C'mon Darius. I'd think that providing a brief explanation of the technical side would help our young friend. :)
Patrick,
When you normally delete a file, ...it just means that the OS marked that section as "empty". The data is still there but the FAT "map" is gone.
To erase, the system overwrites....saves time. Imagine chalk that erases the board as you write something new.
Programs like eraser are "overwriters". Imagine Bart Simpson in the Simpsons opening credits....
I WILL NOT COMPROMISE DATA.

applejosh
11-08-2005, 09:23 PM
I was always told that formatting just erased the FAT table, but still left the data intact in the sectors. Full formatting did that but then did a read test on the sectors (i.e. they didn't really erase a darn thing from any of the sectors). Eraser is a good program to actually overwrite the data in the sectors. I use it on hard drives I've replaced. Of course since I don't actually monitor the bits and bytes as they pass through the card reader, I don't know for sure, but I have been able to recover data from "full" formatted hard drives by using recovery programs (quite easily I might add). Never tried on a memory card (since they usually die before I replace them).

applejosh
11-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Follow-up:

I full formatted an SD card, and I was able to see what data could be restored using the demo of "Unerase" (and it was what was on the card prior to formatting). Erased all free space using Eraser, and the only thing Unerase found were the pseudo-random data that Eraser put there.

Cheers!

Nurhisham Hussein
11-09-2005, 01:24 AM
Thanks, that's good to know!

[Mentally filed in future things to do with my computer]

Patrick Y.
11-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Thank you for all your helps, guys!!! it really helps. :wink: :D

Darius Wey
11-09-2005, 03:20 AM
C'mon Darius. I'd think that providing a brief explanation of the technical side would help our young friend. :)

Some days I get told I'm too techinical in my explanations. So, in an attempt to tone down the geek speak, I get told I'm not technical enough.

Cybrid, you win. :lol:

Cybrid
11-09-2005, 07:27 AM
C'mon Darius. I'd think that providing a brief explanation of the technical side would help our young friend. :)

Some days I get told I'm too techinical in my explanations. So, in an attempt to tone down the geek speak, I get told I'm not technical enough.

Cybrid, you win. :lol:Sorry. I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I was mainly pulling your leg. Not finding your usual greatly informative post, I couldn't resist . My bad.

Darius Wey
11-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Sorry. I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I was mainly pulling your leg.

No big deal. I was trying to make a wise comeback statement, but in the end, it's all good for a laugh. ;)