View Full Version : thinking about getting HTC wizard..

dingobiatch
11-04-2005, 06:40 AM
ok let me start by saying i know that cingular is coming out with their own htc wizard variant, but just out of curiousity...

i know absolutely nothing about how service providers work, and the whole edge vs evto or whatever... confuses me.
anyhow, i am looking at the i-mate k-jam, and wondering if it would work with cingular?? would i have to get an unlocked one, are they more expensive? if k-jam doesn't work, are there any htc wizards that will?

thanks,
max

ADBrown
11-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Yes, the K-JAM should work on Cingular. I think that iMate only sells unlocked devices. Yes, they're much more expensive.

MitchellO
11-05-2005, 12:33 PM
I have been using my brand new K-JAM for 5 days now and I am very happy with it. I bought it for AU$1120, which is about US$780, unlocked without a contract I highly recommend it to anyone.

As a matter of fact, I am posting this off my Wizard using WiFi!!

urologyhealth
11-05-2005, 01:31 PM
QTEK vs. Imate version??

Major pluses of this over PDA2K? Any accessories from SX66 that would work?? Headset input jack?

Thanks for your input.

jamiejackson
11-06-2005, 08:16 PM
I have to agree with the others above.

I too have had my K-JAM for about 5 days; it's fantastic. I had a HP3850 years ago and it was a pain. I waited along time before deciding to put that much money into another PDA. I'm glad I waited but I'm glad I bought another one. The K-JAM is stunning.

Yes, it is unlocked. I payed about £450.

I was talking to a friend in China this morning whilst I lay in my bed in the UK using Skype over WiFi on my K-JAM.

urologyhealth
11-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Has anyone downloaded audible on their K-JAM and have it working. They only had windows mobile 2003 as compatible.

Thanks

MitchellO
11-07-2005, 03:52 AM
I might try audible, although I use my iPod for that.

Still going strong with the K-JAM with no regrets. Posting this from it over GPRS actually.

I too have used Skype on my K-JAM, and it worked fine. Its the v1.2 beta available in the skype forums, not the one included in ROM. Only wish the audio came out of the phone speaker, instead of the load speakers. Have speakerphone as an option, not the only way.

Carlos
11-13-2005, 08:26 PM
I've been a GSM user and proponent for 7 years. I just switched to Sprint.

EV-DO kicks EDGE's butt easily for speed, latency, and stability. And it actually costs less. We pay $25 for unlimited EV-DO (800k/second) on Sprint for the first line, and $12.50 for the second. On T-Mobile we were paying $20 each for unlimited EDGE which is only 140k/second. You do the math. Cingular is even more expensive, and then you have to deal with Cingular's legendary horrible customer service (D-rated by JD Powers).

wshwe
11-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Can you tether your device to a Bluetooth-equiped laptop? Does Sprint allow this in the plan you pay for?

I've been a GSM user and proponent for 7 years. I just switched to Sprint.

EV-DO kicks EDGE's butt easily for speed, latency, and stability. And it actually costs less. We pay $25 for unlimited EV-DO (800k/second) on Sprint for the first line, and $12.50 for the second. On T-Mobile we were paying $20 each for unlimited EDGE which is only 140k/second. You do the math. Cingular is even more expensive, and then you have to deal with Cingular's legendary horrible customer service (D-rated by JD Powers).

Carlos
11-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Yes, I use it with my PowerBook as an EV-DO modem over Bluetooth all the time. It can be done with Windows laptops too, just takes a little more effort (I know it's detailed on pdaphonehome.com, might be here too).

Sprint doesn't officially allow modem use on the standard plans, but has no interest in charging you more for it (I made it clear what I was doing and asked what I should get, twice). I think they'll just use the "reasonable use" standard. I know that several people have used a bit over 100MB/mo and had no issues.

Sven Johannsen
11-23-2005, 11:30 PM
Just to note that I am using a K-Jam with Cingular. Works fine. An HTC Wizard branded by Cingular should be the same device. Might be some cosmetic branding like statup screens, logos, themes, and they may include or remove some apps, but the basic unit should be the same.

Unbranded phone are more expensive not because they are different, but because they don't come with a contract. The carrier subsidizes the cost of the phone to get you to sign up for number of years of service.

XDA_User
11-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Just wondering how you guys with a K-Jam like the small screen? (in comparision to the XDAII or XDAIIs?

Thanks!

Sven Johannsen
11-30-2005, 07:03 PM
To me it's an acceptable tradeoff. I get the same stuff on the K-Jam as I do on my X50v, pretty much, just much smaller. Sometimes the reading glasses have to come out. Normally it is way easier for me to see than my X50v in true VGA though.

I get the full power and UI of a PPC + the phone stuff in a package that isn't really that much bigger than an MPX220. I enjoy my Smartphones (MPX220/SMT5600) for their 'instant' Web access. By that I mean if I get a URL in an e-mail, or want to go farther on an RSS topic, I just hit go and it connects and does it, though the screen is a bit of a hindrance. Even with the X50v and a BT phone I have to make sure the BT is on on both items and then hope the dialing process works right. The K-Jam is like the smartphone in ease of connection, with an adequate screen.