View Full Version : My HP Ipaq 2210 keeps turning itself on

Alexina
11-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Help!!
Can anyone give me advice. I have recently bought a new HpIpaq 2210 and have found that it keeps turning itself on by itself.
It doesn't happen all the time and there is no pattern to it.
All I have actived are the calendar, contacts and the notes function. I have no reminders set and have yet to sync it to a PC.
But its driving me mad!

Thanks.

Darius Wey
11-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi Alexina, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts.

So you don't have any other third-party programs installed? Is that correct?

Also, does this happen randomly (say, on your desk), or whilst it is in your pocket? I only ask this question because by default, any tap of a hardware button can turn on the device, and when it's rattling around in your pocket, it's just a recipe for disaster.

christak
11-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Two main things to check when your iPAQ is turning itself on "for no apparent reason" are the Activesync settings on the iPAQ itself and the Inbox settings on you email accounts (again on the iPAQ).

For Activesync: Be sure that your iPAQ is not trying to connect using a "Mobile Schedule" -- uncheck the box on the iPAQ.

For Inbox: Under Inbox on your iPAQ, Tools -- Options -- Accounts... Tap on the account and on Email Setup page 4/4 tap Options. On Options page 1/3, uncheck the "Connect and check for messages every:" box...

8)

Alexina
11-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Cheers for the advice.
Darius, I have no other third party programs installed. And it mostly happens when its just sitting on the desk and nothing has touched it or gone near it.

Christak, I have check and my Activesync is not connecting using a mobile schedule. And I hav enot set up my email as yet.
I couldn't ge tin to the options page to find the connect and check messages. Is there another way to check this. I couldn't find the options choice on the email set up page.
Any other advice would be grately received.
Thanks.

Darius Wey
11-03-2005, 05:26 PM
One other thing worth checking: Open up Pictures, select Tools > Options, and ensure the screensaver mode is disabled. At times, that can trigger the device to wake up from standby mode.

Anyway, it hasn't been mentioned, so I hope there's no harm in asking this (as obvious as it may sound). Have you tried a soft-reset? If worst comes to worst, does a hard-reset solve the problem?

Alexina
11-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks, I don't have any pictures on my PDA, is there another way to find out if I have a screen saver activated?
What exactly is a soft reset?

phs
11-07-2005, 02:22 AM

That's when your PocketPC is not working properly (e.g, apps freeze, peripherals aren't recognized, bluetooth won't connect, or things just slooow down), and you have to stick the stylus into that little hole at the back to make things work again. With PocketPCs, soft resetting is like having oats for breakfast. Don't taste good, but it's good for you.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-07-2005, 02:48 AM
A soft reset is like rebooting your PC - it helps clear the memory registers and resulting software conflicts. The instructions on how to do this should be in the manual. Typically your PDA should have a recessed button somewhere that is accessible by your stylus.

A hard reset is also possible, which completely wipes your PDA back to factory condition. Do this only if you're very sure, and after you have backed up your data. Backups are very important!

Darius Wey
11-07-2005, 04:02 AM
Thanks, I don't have any pictures on my PDA, is there another way to find out if I have a screen saver activated?

If you don't have any pictures, then you won't have to worry about the screensaver being activated.

The others offer a good, simple explanation on what this is. As was specified, your manual should have instructions on how to do this. On the iPAQ h2210, you'll need to use your stylus to push the "hole" somewhere at the back or on the sides of the device. It's hard to miss.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-07-2005, 04:23 AM
I have recently bought a new HpIpaq 2210

B****r, missed that, that was my first ever PPC.

Alexina,

the soft reset hole is on the back of the device, on the bottom right. It appears to be just a hole in the casing, but the stylus can be used to push the button that's actually inside. A white screen with the Hp iPaq logo will then appear on your screen, and it should take about 30-40 secs for the PDA to reboot.

You should do this on average about once a week on general principles, and whenever a program is misbehaving, or your PDA starts behaving a little oddly or sluggishly. I'd also recommend using the backup program religiously (you can find this through Start->Programs->iPaq Backup), preferably saving the backup to an external card. I'd recommend investing in a CF card for preference, as the h2210 is notorious for corrupting SD cards and the CF slot is slightly faster on this machine as well. This will save some grief if for some reason you encounter some insurmountable problem, or a spontaneous hard reset, or a flat battery.

I'd also check to see if you have the latest ROM update installed - it should be 1.10. The ROM upgrade basically patches most of the bugs (the SD card interface for one, bluetooth for another) that plagued earlier versions.

BTW congratulations on your purchase - it's a sweet device, and I have very fond memories about it.

Alexina
11-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I have now managed to sync it up to my PC. It took 3hours but I got there. I'm such a novice!
I have done a soft reset and it seems to have fixed the problem. It still turns itself on but after 2 minutes it turns itself back off again. Which is great.
Didn't realise that they can corrupt the SD cards. I'll invest in a CF one. Cheers for that. How do i find where the ROM information is?
Thanks again.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Alexina, you can find the ROM version information by clicking Start Menu->Settings->System tab->System Information->Version from the tree menu.

I'm still suspecting activesync as the main culprit here - your PDA shouldn't be turning itself on at all. There's one other possibility, it could be something in the notifications queue. Try downloading and installing the applications from this link:

http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html

and follow the instructions there.

Down8
11-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Does anyone have a link for the 1.10 ROM? I have a 2210 with 1.00 and would like to update it.

Thanks,
-bZj

Nurhisham Hussein
11-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Did you try going through HP's website - it's fairly easy to find.

Darius Wey
11-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Here you go: http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/20498.html

Down8
11-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Many thanks guys. I did go through HP's site, once I thought about it.

Now I have to dig up the cable for it.

-bZj

Darius Wey
11-25-2005, 05:51 AM
Make sure your device is connected to the AC too.

Alexina
12-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Its now stopped turning itself on after a few soft resets, cheers for all the help. I think I have a 1.0 ROM as well so will try and find the update.
But thanks so much for all the advice.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-10-2005, 04:36 AM
You're welcome!