View Full Version : DVD Catalyst/PocketDVD 3 Review

Ed Hansberry
11-02-2005, 08:00 PM
<a href="http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews/dvdcat/dvdcat-3-0/default.asp">http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews/dvdcat/dvdcat-3-0/default.asp</a><br /><br /><i>"The 3.0 version of PocketDVD, DVD Catalyst allows users to transform videos and DVDs into files on their PC. For the Windows Mobile user however, DVD Catalyst steps up to the fore, allowing users to rip an entire DVD into a few hundred megabytes while still maintaining a good quality image. DVD Catalyst offers a tremendous range of codec’s and formats to which video files can be converted into including Windows Media 7, 8 and 9, iPod Video, DIVX and MPEG 4 to name a few. Without a doubt DVD Catalyst is one of the most advanced DVD ripping applications available today for mobile and desktop users alike."</i><br /><br />If you are interested in ripping DVDs to relatively small files for your Pocket PC, you should take a look at this comprehensive review.

Typhoon
11-02-2005, 09:56 PM
I live in CA, USA...does anyone know if it is illegal to use this software here?

serpico
11-02-2005, 10:20 PM
What happened to PocketDVD? That's the program I use now to convert movie files to my pocketpc and psp. Works great. I tried to find information on their site, but only found tiny lettering, formerly PocketDVD. The title on the pages, say PocketDVD.ca as well. Any info much appreciated.

Golfer
11-02-2005, 11:23 PM
I bought PocketDVD at the end of June and it works very well. Is this a free upgrade? And what is Catalyst compared to PocketDVD?

Confused :?:

hamishmacdonald
11-03-2005, 12:02 AM
The website says that this is an upgrade -- 2.0 to 3.0 -- and is free for owners of PocketDVD. Yay!

I can't tell you what the difference is, though. I haven't used it yet.

I ripped a movie for the first time in a long time today. I used PocketDVD, and was surprised to find it different. I guess I'd upgraded to 2.0 and not used it yet. And now there's already a full version revision, and it's free! You gotta like that!

jlp
11-03-2005, 07:51 AM
What happened to PocketDVD? That's the program I use now to convert movie files to my pocketpc and psp. Works great. I tried to find information on their site, but only found tiny lettering, formerly PocketDVD. The title on the pages, say PocketDVD.ca as well. Any info much appreciated.

Correct me if i'mwrong but DVD Catalyst IS PocketDVD, hence the indication "formerly PocketDVD". That's the new name, probably to avoid confusing it with others, especially Pocket DVD Studio or even DVD to PocketPC.

Also since DVD Catalyst supports many other formats like PSP, Archos and ipod video, a new name is kind of "required".

Don't Panic!
11-03-2005, 03:58 PM
I think it's time I get off of the fairuse bandwagon and give this updated pocketdvd program another try. If nothing else I like the new user interface. :)

serpico
11-03-2005, 05:17 PM
ok I was totally confused here. I own Pocket DVD Wizard version 4.2 and this is why I was confused with the name of this product. Good thing someone changed their name! :lol:

Don't Panic!
11-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Don't forget Pocket DVD Studio. :devilboy:

serpico
11-03-2005, 06:53 PM
I didn't realize there were so many similar named programs! No wonder it's so confusing! 8O

Clinton Fitch
11-03-2005, 11:30 PM

In talking to the developer, the name change was to more distinguish the product from other similarly named products. Further, this is a completely revamped product - thus a new name is appropriate.