View Full Version : SE_VGA on x51v

rodkar
11-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Does anybody have success installing and running SE_VGA on x51v? Mine doesn't work. Anybody knows if an update had been released?

Thanks.

Roderick

Darius Wey
11-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Unfortunately, neither SE_VGA or OzVGA work in Windows Mobile 5.0, and it seems like there won't be an upgrade to either of the two anytime soon.

rodkar
11-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply. I wonder why MS doesn't provide full VGA support on WM5....

Darius Wey
11-02-2005, 05:22 PM
I wonder why MS doesn't provide full VGA support on WM5....

I'd like to know the same thing. :cry:

Sven Johannsen
11-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Maybe MSs understanding of VGA support is just different than yours. The ability to take advantage of the clarity allowed by 4 times as many pixels, and still have the screen be legible, is fine by me. Offering the ability to take advantage of the increased resolution in things like picture and video viewers and providing some increased configurability on font sizing is there too.

I know you guys like/want it, but the effect of the VGA hacks, that make everything 1/4 size, makes the PPC marginally usable to me, and likely to many in my age group, who have the $ to buy the high end boxes. The fonts and icons are just too darned small. The resolution of the digitizer comes into question too.

While I would agree it might be nice if MS were to build that capability into the OS for those that want it, I can't imagine the problems that would cause for ISVs whose apps are 'broken' because they only display in the top left quadrant. There seems to be enough of an issue with just the normal portrait, landscape, and square support, without adding a true 480x640 mode for everyone to try to support on VGA hardware.

mrmagoo
11-02-2005, 07:15 PM
I agree that using SE_VGA does make the fonts smaller, but, the decision to select font size, scroll bar size etc. should be the user adjustable.

The screenshots of the X50V with SE_VGA looks good. Very similar to my Toshiba e800 running in true VGA mode (which I still use). http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/pda/aximx50s/

I've also seen the X50V running IE without a VGA hack http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Dell_Axim_X50v.htm and there isn't as much information that can be displayed on the screen. Take a look at the size of the top and bottom bars!

Basically, without using the full potential of the VGA screen, browsing using IE will be limiting.

If you can't see small level of details on the screen, than yes, I'm afraid that a VGA hack isn't going to be useful to you. But, if you can, why not use the full potential of the screen's resolution?

Personally, I will *not* upgrade to another VGA (or SVGA in the future) PDA unless that PDA can utilize the full resolving capacity of the screen. If that means running a hack, so be it.

MitchellO
11-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I agree that there should be an option in the screen settings to allow for both "true" VGA and "Microsoft" VGA. If I had an X50v, I wouldn't update because I would be using the SE_VGA hack.

Darius Wey
11-08-2005, 04:49 AM
Pop over to this thread and you might notice a Windows Mobile 5.0 solution: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44238

Be warned. It's very much a hack and slash method.

richfiddler11
11-10-2005, 05:24 AM
I've tried the OzVGA/SEVGA hacks and while I agree there are some issues, I really liked the fact that I could get back so much lost screen real estate. The top and bottom bars are just too big in QVGA mode!

Why can't Microsoft allow me to decide things like how wide the top and bottom bars are and how big icons should be, etc?

That would satisfy me for the most part.