View Full Version : Stowaway Bluetooth mouse

dlangton
10-31-2005, 05:06 AM
I just purchased a Stowaway mouse for my Jornada 567. It works great! The latest drivers won't work, but any of the previous versions, 4.0 - 4.2, work fine. I wouldn't want to try the mouse in conjunction with a bluetooth keyboard, but with the Targus serial keyboard it's a great combination.

Sven Johannsen
10-31-2005, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't want to try the mouse in conjunction with a bluetooth keyboardWhy not? You've essentially already got the drivers for the T.O. BT keyboard. I find a bit more convinient to have the PPC a bit farther away from me than right at the top of the keyboard.

ctmagnus
10-31-2005, 10:17 PM
I bought this mouse a while ago. I recently started using it with my Tablet PC, but it is slooooow to drag. So I bought Microsoft's Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000 and I am a happy camper again.

Does anyone have any experience with MS' IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth on the desktop? Is it comparable to the speed of a wired/rf mouse?

dlangton
10-31-2005, 10:53 PM
dlangton wrote:
I wouldn't want to try the mouse in conjunction with a bluetooth keyboard

Why not? You've essentially already got the drivers for the T.O. BT keyboard. I find a bit more convinient to have the PPC a bit farther away from me than right at the top of the keyboard

I'd anticipate conflicts between the bluetooth mouse and the bluetooth keyboard, considering the older OS. Think Outside doesn't really support using the mouse on my PDA - at least it's not listed as being compatible.

dlangton
10-31-2005, 10:57 PM
Does anyone have any experience with MS' IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth on the desktop? Is it comparable to the speed of a wired/rf mouse?

I'm using an Iogear bluetooth mouse on my desktop. It's mostly as fast as my USB mouse, but does tend to lag at times. I didn't consider the Microsoft version, since it requires it's own special bluetooth adapter.

Sven Johannsen
10-31-2005, 11:34 PM
I'd anticipate conflicts between the bluetooth mouse and the bluetooth keyboard, considering the older OS. Think Outside doesn't really support using the mouse on my PDA - at least it's not listed as being compatible.Suppose it might, but I figure the Jornada isn't listed because they were gone before the mouse and keyboard came out and T.O. didn't have one to test. I wouldn't especially suggest buyin one to see, but if you run across someone with one, try it.

Sven Johannsen
10-31-2005, 11:40 PM
I bought this mouse a while ago. I recently started using it with my Tablet PC, but it is slooooow to drag. So I bought Microsoft's Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000 and I am a happy camper again.

I've got MSs BT desk setup, mouse and keyboard. It is definately as responsive as an RF mouse/keyboard. My wife has MSs regular wireless setup, because she liked the keyboard better. I couldn't say for sure about comparison with USB, but it doesn't seem much different to me. Have USB at work.

Have never tried the MS mouse with other BT dongles, but I understand it is pretty standards compliant these days. I'm just using the MS BT USB dongle with the stock XPSP2 BT support. mouse and keyboard of course work. I can sync my PPC with it. Beyond that there is not a heck of a lot of stuff I want to connect to that PC via BT, so it works for me.

dlangton
10-31-2005, 11:48 PM
Have never tried the MS mouse with other BT dongles, but I understand it is pretty standards compliant these days. I'm just using the MS BT USB dongle with the stock XPSP2 BT support. mouse and keyboard of course work. I can sync my PPC with it. Beyond that there is not a heck of a lot of stuff I want to connect to that PC via BT, so it works for me.

I'd tried a Targus bluetooth mouse before I got the iogear item. It wouldn't work with my desktop adapter (Linksys USB, class 1), so I assume that the MS mouse wouldn't work without it's own adapter.

ctmagnus
11-01-2005, 12:10 AM
I actually have a Toshiba internal Bluetooth adaptor.

When I had Toshiba's North American drivers, the TO mouse was the only thing I could get to work reliably with the Bluetooth in the Tablet. But since I switched to the European drivers, I have my Pocket PC and Smartphone playing very nicely with it as well.

I assume I wouldn't need the dongle if I were to get the MS Bluetooth mouse as I have the internal adapter. With the Stowaway mouse, I just set it to discoverable and the Tablet found it asap and went through the typical pairing process. Is it that simple with MS' BT mouse?

Sven Johannsen
11-01-2005, 04:51 PM
I assume I wouldn't need the dongle if I were to get the MS Bluetooth mouse as I have the internal adapter. With the Stowaway mouse, I just set it to discoverable and the Tablet found it asap and went through the typical pairing process. Is it that simple with MS' BT mouse?

It was using the MS dongle, and using the MS BT stack. I would assume (and you know what that means) that a standard HID profile would find and work with the MS keyboard and mouse, but I wouldn't bet the purchase price on it, unless you can easily return it.

Stephen Beesley
11-03-2005, 03:06 AM
I just purchased a Stowaway mouse for my Jornada 567. It works great! The latest drivers won't work, but any of the previous versions, 4.0 - 4.2, work fine. I wouldn't want to try the mouse in conjunction with a bluetooth keyboard, but with the Targus serial keyboard it's a great combination.

Just wondering what sort of BT card you are using with your Jornada?

I have a Thinkoutside BT Keyboard and Mouse which I have been hoarding until I get my hands on an Axim x51v (or something similiar) but have lately been thinking of getting a BT card to run it with the Toshiba e750 I currently have.

dlangton
11-03-2005, 04:44 AM
Just wondering what sort of BT card you are using with your Jornada?

I'm using the Billionton adapter. Per Billionton, the driver won't work on my Jornada - which I hadn't realized when I purchased it. As I recall, Toshibas have the same problem, along with Casios. The solution was simple - I moved all the DLL's and the CPL file after installation from the Widcomm directory on my device to the Windows directory. Works like a charm.