View Full Version : Is Microsoft's Implementation of Direct Push The Blackberry Killer?

Ed Hansberry
10-31-2005, 02:00 PM
<a href="http://www.emailbattles.com/archive/battles/email_aacjcehbfg_ag/">http://www.emailbattles.com/archive/battles/email_aacjcehbfg_ag/</a><br /><br /><i>"Blackberry killer. That's Microsoft's hope for its new ActiveSync Direct Push Technology in Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 for Windows Mobile 5.0. Gives non-Windows handsets fast Blackberry-like access to all your Exchange stuff: messages, schedules, contacts, tasks lists, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Allegedly works with darned near everything and everybody Microsoft licenses... Redmond thinks ActiveSync with Direct Push Technology will finally bring it within spitting distance of Chatter and, hope-of-all-hopes, surpass hosted services like Blackberry and Good. The company's ace-in-the-hole... all-in-one-box convenience... makes lots of network managers giddy enough to bite. More security-minded admins may choose to wait. Windows Mobile 5.0 has been FIPS 140-2 certified. Its encryption method is OK for use by the U.S. Government. Unfortunately, its message transport system is not."</i><br /><br />To bring you up to speed, current Exchange 2003 servers (pre-SP2) did push via an SMS message to the device to trigger a sync. Of course, SMS messages can be delayed, lost and are hardly less than real time, especially as users travel the globe. Service Pack 2 for Exchange 2003, coupled with the Microsoft Security Feature Pack in Windows Mobile 5 <i>(everyone offer up a stylus and memory card over a warm USB hub to the gods of mobile computing so they may bestow upon you the ROM update necessary for this :roll: )</i> will allow your device to maintain an HTTP link directly with the Exchange server regardless of where you are, so long as you have a link via a cellular service, WiFi users need not apply, you can count on almost instant emails, perhaps faster than those in your network slogging away at a desktop. The server will then tug on that HTTP link, an HTTP refresh command, that will then initiate the sync. It is said to be faster notification than that of Blackberry users.

arb
10-31-2005, 02:27 PM
This new technology from MS should prove to be our new contingency plan in case RIM goes completely bankrupt. It is easier to explain to clients that MS version of Push is integrated into new Windows Mobile 5.0 PDAs. Also MS Push can be used with any number of devices that are non-MS. As a consultant we need to cover our backs, Microsoft is always a constant, they are not going anywhere and they have the resources to fend off potential lawsuits from small nuisance companies like NTP.

I know in November my company has a MS Partner training session, hopefully they will talk about this and demo it there.

Anyways, I find this MS Push a good idea.

Thank you,

Paragon
10-31-2005, 02:46 PM
What "push email"? MS doesn't have push email to mobile devices. There has been a lot of talk about it. In fact most of us, were under the impression that WM5.0 devices would have push email. They don't. Once it got close to launch time for WM5 devices we discovered that Exchange SP2 would not be out in time. Then it wasn't till it was released that we were told that it would be months before the necessary "Feature Pack" would be available for WM5 devices.

We were all mislead on this one. I've read lots of angry posts from people wondering why the device they bought thinking it would have push email....doesn't.

It bothers me to no end that enthusiast like myself and and many others here put considerable efforts into push Microsoft's mobile devices, only to have MS confuse issues, and delay releases.

I wonder, does anyone at Microsoft realize that there are a large amount of people out there very disappointed that they spent hundreds of dollars on new WM5 devices to get push email, to find out that they will not see it for several months?......Friggggg....some days I wonder why I bother!!

Dave

SteveHoward999
10-31-2005, 04:02 PM
I guess I'll have to go back to corporate slavery to be able to understand why eMail has become so urgent that it has to arrive instantly. In the last 10 years I have never found it necessary for eMail to be any mor e'instant' than for it to be there when I look for it ...

Clinton Fitch
10-31-2005, 04:04 PM
I think Ed hit on a great point here... this is all well and good if the OEMs update the ROMs to allow for the new Security Feature Pack. That, to me, is the whole key to this even being a discussion. If OEMs do not adopt (ie MS doesn't force them to adopt it), then I really don't see how this discussion can go much futher.

Besides, RIM is taking care of being the "RIM Killer" themselves. :lol:

Ed Hansberry
10-31-2005, 04:27 PM
What "push email"? MS doesn't have push email to mobile devices.
It pushes right now via SMS. Still does and will for the forseeable future until MS decides to stop supporting that push method when they think enough WM2003/SE devices are abandoned. I bet Exchange 12 supports it but the one after that might not.

whydidnt
10-31-2005, 04:33 PM
It bothers me to no end that enthusiast like myself and and many others here put considerable efforts into push Microsoft's mobile devices, only to have MS confuse issues, and delay releases.

This is so true, you hit the nail on the head. I almost had my organization convinced to buy 30+ WM5.0 devices for "push email". Then I said, but understand, it's not really available just yet. It will be soon.

Guess what, when I visit the corporate office the end of November, I'll be taking delivery of a new company issued Blackberry. The executives just want something that works and is available now, not "announced". They don't want to wait for some mythical future date. Believe it or not they think they have a company to run, and can't sit around all day reading about MS planned future devices.

The whole thing is very typical Microsoft, however. They seem to always be "announcing" a new product or feature, simply to ward off competition. Then it takes forever to actually get the announced feature.

Philip Colmer
10-31-2005, 05:31 PM
WiFi users need not apply
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression (although I could, clearly, be wrong) that the Pocket PC would use any network connection that worked for it.

--Philip

Sven Johannsen
10-31-2005, 05:45 PM
I guess I'll have to go back to corporate slavery to be able to understand why eMail has become so urgent that it has to arrive instantly. In the last 10 years I have never found it necessary for eMail to be any mor e'instant' than for it to be there when I look for it ...

I'm with you Steve. I even have my corporate mail set up so it goes out and GETS new mail every 10 minutes. I can do that with my PPC now and don't see how the stuff that happened in that 10 minutes can be that earth shattering. Well, maybe I can for some folks, but I feel sorry for them. If it's that freakin' urgent, they can call me.

Sven Johannsen
10-31-2005, 05:55 PM
WiFi users need not apply
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression (although I could, clearly, be wrong) that the Pocket PC would use any network connection that worked for it.

--Philip

Read the next clause "you can count on almost instant emails". with WiFi, assuming you are connected, you are...well...connected. It's that sort of disconnected situation that push e-mail covers. Like your phone is available on the network, and can be accessed/commanded to ring, but it doesn't have a voice channel open all the time.

SteveHoward999
10-31-2005, 05:59 PM
If it's that freakin' urgent, they can call me.

Yup - exactly. And if they can't, they can leave a message or an email, and I'll get back to them in my time. If they want a slave on the end of a piece of wireless string then they don't want me :)

Paragon
10-31-2005, 06:00 PM
What "push email"? MS doesn't have push email to mobile devices.
It pushes right now via SMS. Still does and will for the forseeable future until MS decides to stop supporting that push method when they think enough WM2003/SE devices are abandoned. I bet Exchange 12 supports it but the one after that might not.

Right, Ed. That is no different than my wife sitting at home and sending me an SMS every time my email goes ding. That is very impressive technology. I'm sure that millions of Blackberry users around the world will flock to Windows Mobile when the hear that Ed Hansberry thinks they will be supporting this "feature" for years to come. ;)

For the record, I'm with the guys who see no need to have immediate email, but I do hear a lot of people that do like it, and as I said, spent hundreds of dollars on WM5 devices, thinking they would be getting true push email.

Dave

barky81
10-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Interestingly, DataViz has already released a Symbian UIQ Direct Push client (Roadsync)!

But nobody talks about it.

DataViz must have more programming capability than Microsoft. And Palm too, for that matter. Microsoft has announced that Palm could have already updated the Treo 650 (and all their other EAS-enabled devices)...but they haven't done so.

Worse, I cannot find one self-respecting website that mentions either of these facts.

For those people who don't have need for (or see value in) instant e-mail notifications, why do you care that others do?

SteveHoward999
10-31-2005, 09:50 PM
For those people who don't have need for (or see value in) instant e-mail notifications, why do you care that others do?

Actually we are questioning the kind of work- or lifestyle that you must have to want or need *instant* email.

arb
10-31-2005, 10:30 PM
To be fair and honest I have a BB and my clients also like that I have a BB. It allows my client to have a constant access to me for whatever problem or issue they might have. BB’s also allow us to charge for this value-added feature. It also helps when I am in a meeting or trade-show giving presentations. I find it annoying when people do not turn off their ringers on their cell phones or start talking on the phone just to tell the other person that they cannot talk right now.. blah blah blah.

Instant email isn’t just for the workaholics out there who must be attached to email 24/7. It is for consultants that need to be in tune with their client’s projects and needs. Now if MS doesn’t have “Push” technology, then they need to start making it, or buy out a company that does have it.

Phillip Dyson
10-31-2005, 10:53 PM
The whole thing is very typical Microsoft, however. They seem to always be "announcing" a new product or feature, simply to ward off competition. Then it takes forever to actually get the announced feature.

Its not just MS. But the whole industry. "Quick announce it now. Maybe a lot of people will wait for us.? :roll:

Say what you want about Apple, but when they announce something its available today.

SteveHoward999
10-31-2005, 11:46 PM
Instant email isn’t just for the workaholics out there who must be attached to email 24/7. It is for consultants that need to be in tune with their client’s projects and needs.

I'm a consultant who needs to be in touch with my client needs - but I don't need to be at their instant beck and call.

What I want to know is what are you doing that is so time critical that it cannot wait an hour or two until you are able to respond? After all, if you are in a meeting you will not (or should not) be able to respond to that email until the meeting is finished. If you do, then you are not giving the meeting the attention you should ... as a consultant I cannot afford to be in a meeting with a client where I am not paying full attention to **that** client's needs.

madbart
11-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject but I have a couple of questions.

Am i going to be able to recieve true "push email" on my WM2003SE device?

Or is it the case that i will be able to recieve push email on my device but simply not have the security feature that allows for the remote wipe?

:?

Or is it a case of once again being forced to upgrade?

SteveHoward999
11-01-2005, 01:06 AM
Am i going to be able to recieve true "push email" on my WM2003SE device?

I think it is WM 5 only.

[quote="madbart
Or is it a case of once again being forced to upgrade?
[/quote]

If you need push email on your PPC device then you need to upgrade to WM 5 so far as I understand it.

Paragon
11-01-2005, 01:15 AM
True push email on Windows Mobile devices is only available on WM5.0 devices, using an Exchange with SP2 installed, and the Feature Pack installed on the device. SP2 has been released, but the Feature Pack has not. WM2003SE devices will not be able to upgrade to true push email. Yes you will have to upgrade to a WM5.0 device, then upgrade that when the Feature Pack becomes available.

Or you can continue to us a WM2003SE device on an Exchange server, and set it up to send you an SMS when you receive a new email.

Dave

Kris Kumar
11-01-2005, 01:25 AM

I'm with you Steve. I even have my corporate mail set up so it goes out and GETS new mail every 10 minutes. I can do that with my PPC now and don't see how the stuff that happened in that 10 minutes can be that earth shattering. Well, maybe I can for some folks, but I feel sorry for them. If it's that freakin' urgent, they can call me.

Efficient.

Instant e-mail is efficient. SMS triggered mail delivery is not reliable. Also sending SMS, especially when multiple carriers are involved can get tricky. Setting a polling interval, which we end up doing anyways is not good, because we set it for 5 or 10 or 30 mins. So every now and then our Smartphone is checking for mail. That is putting load on the carrier's data network and the Exchange server even when the mail is not there.

The new direct push model is supposed to reduce the data traffic, which means lower data charges (not every country or carrier offers unlimited data) and longer battery life.

How we use this supposedly efficient system is up to us. ;-)

Kris Kumar
11-01-2005, 01:36 AM
And regarding the big question Is Microsoft's Implementation of Direct Push The Blackberry Killer?

I would like to wait and watch. I would like to see someone other than Microsoft install all the software components and play with the devices and let us know.

Ed Hansberry
11-01-2005, 04:39 AM
True push email on Windows Mobile devices is only available on WM5.0 devices, using an Exchange with SP2 installed, and the Feature Pack installed on the device. SP2 has been released, but the Feature Pack has not. WM2003SE devices will not be able to upgrade to true push email. Yes you will have to upgrade to a WM5.0 device, then upgrade that when the Feature Pack becomes available.

Or you can continue to us a WM2003SE device on an Exchange server, and set it up to send you an SMS when you receive a new email.

Dave
Please explain how that is "true push" dave if you want to get technical about it.

1) WM2003 - the server sends an SMS to initiate a sync.
2) WS5 with Exch. SP2 and MSFP - The server sends an HTTP Refresh to initiate a sync.

In both cases, the server uses a mechanism outside email to flick ActiveSync on the ear so it will wake up and sync. Explain to me how if you define #2 as true push why is it true push and #1 isn't? Either they both are or neither are.

However, the end result is, the server initiates the process to make sure the user has the email in front of them. #2 is just more reliable and faster.

Ed Hansberry
11-01-2005, 04:40 AM
Yup - exactly.
If they want me to deal with it sooner rather than later, email is the way to go. It goes straight into my work queue, dragged immediately to a task or forwarded to someone in my department to handle. If they call, it gets written on a post it.

SteveHoward999
11-01-2005, 05:54 AM
Efficient.

Instant e-mail is efficient. SMS triggered mail delivery is not reliable. Also sending SMS, especially when multiple carriers are involved can get tricky. Setting a polling interval, which we end up doing anyways is not good, because we set it for 5 or 10 or 30 mins. So every now and then our Smartphone is checking for mail. That is putting load on the carrier's data network and the Exchange server even when the mail is not there.

But I get around 150 emails a day. With your model I would generate a server hit 150 times a day. With my regular polling, if I set it to 10 minutes I'll do about the same. But firstly I don't have the polling set that high, and secondly my email program is only on when I am running email software, so for me it would be more efficient (for the server) to change nothing.

wshwe
11-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Some WM5 owners could wait several months to get MSFP or may not get MSFP at all. People who want push email should steer clear of WM for the time being. SMS and polling are inadequate substitutes for real push email.

aroma
11-01-2005, 01:47 PM
If you need push email on your PPC device then you need to upgrade to WM 5 so far as I understand it.

Or look to a solution that works now. Such as GoodLink. Our company had recently rolled out Exchange Activesync. We had thought about waiting around for SP2 / WM5 for a more reliable push feature over SMS, but when we demoed Good, and saw how cheap it was, there was no way we were waiting. Not only does it just flat out work, but it allows you to sync more information than Exchange AS does now. (Global Address List, Tasks (obviously added in SP2), Notes, etc...)

Paragon
11-01-2005, 02:18 PM
2) WS5 with Exch. SP2 and MSFP - The server sends an HTTP Refresh to initiate a sync.

#2 is just more reliable and faster.

That says it all, right there, Ed. #2 is faster and more reliable.

Whether you and I or any one else thinks that instant email is silly and unnecessary, there are people out there who don't. Many find it necessary to do their jobs properly. Others maybe just want it. Let's face it, you don't need to drive a BMW. You could do with something less. I don't need to drive a loaded mini van to get my kids around town, but I want to. Some people don't need instant email, but they want it. I'll say this till the cows come home.....many people spent hundreds of dollars on WM5 devices thinking they were getting push email, and they didn't. Plus the fact still remains, we have no idea when or even if our particular OEM will offer an update including MSFP.

Look at how huge the negative reaction is from people concerning OS updates when suppliers never come out and say they will offer one. Most people on this site feel they have been cheated in some way when they can't get an OS upgrade, yet with push email we were all told we would have that ability on WM5 devices.......I smell class action if the situation is not address properly very soon.

Reliable and faster are two very important words in any enterprise.

Dave

Ed Hansberry
11-01-2005, 02:58 PM

That says it all, right there, Ed. #2 is faster and more reliable.

Whether you and I or any one else thinks that instant email is silly and unnecessary, there are people out there who don't. Many find it necessary to do their jobs properly. Others maybe just want it. Let's face it, you don't need to drive a BMW. You could do with something less. I don't need to drive a loaded mini van to get my kids around town, but I want to. Some people don't need instant email, but they want it. I'll say this till the cows come home.....many people spent hundreds of dollars on WM5 devices thinking they were getting push email, and they didn't. Plus the fact still remains, we have no idea when or even if our particular OEM will offer an update including MSFP.

Look at how huge the negative reaction is from people concerning OS updates when suppliers never come out and say they will offer one. Most people on this site feel they have been cheated in some way when they can't get an OS upgrade, yet with push email we were all told we would have that ability on WM5 devices.......I smell class action if the situation is not address properly very soon.

Reliable and faster are two very important words in any enterprise.
Ok, so by your logic, if MS came out with solution #3 with Exchange 12 that was even more reliable and faster, would that mean that #2 wasn't true push email anymore?

My point is, We have push now, we have better push on the horizon. Better push tomorrow doesn't mean we don't have push today.

New+better &lt;> old solution invalidated.

Paragon
11-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Have a nice day, Ed. :)

Sven Johannsen
11-01-2005, 03:56 PM

It diverts effort from those things that I think are important. :wink:

On some deeper level I think it is indicative of a societal problem. Our addiction with 'right now' is not just in e-mail but in everything we do, fast cars, fast foods, instant gratification, etc. On a different forum, I know an individual that laments the lack of a second hand on his watch, because he needs it to time making it to the train. Lighten up people, smell the roses. Leave your work at work. While there are probably some workaholics out there (and you can be helped) the majority would likely be happier, and healthier. I remember back in the 60s when we were all looking forward to the technology that increase ou productivity and liesure time. Boy were we wrong.

Sven Johannsen
11-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Yup - exactly.
If they want me to deal with it sooner rather than later, email is the way to go. It goes straight into my work queue, dragged immediately to a task or forwarded to someone in my department to handle. If they call, it gets written on a post it.

I agree if it is something that needs delegation, or effort to respond to, e-mail is how you get me. But if it is Urgent, 'your daughter was in a car accident', 'the stock is dropping like a rock', you know, things that actually might need instant decisions/response, call me.

Paragon
11-01-2005, 05:10 PM
things that actually might need instant decisions/response, call me.

You say, "call me", Sven. Someone else says "email me."

To paraphrase a Jason Dunn post many months ago...my favorite colour is blue. Yours may be yellow....

Because someone sees it differently than me doesn't mean it's wrong. Of all the people I know in the world, Sven, I know you believe and understand that.

Sven Johannsen
11-01-2005, 07:53 PM
things that actually might need instant decisions/response, call me.

You say, "call me", Sven. Someone else says "email me."

The only ones that say 'e-mail me' in that instance are those with Blackberries ;)
Yea I know that what is right for one isn't always for another. That's why we still have PPC, PPCPE and SP; Windows, Mac and Linux; Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. It's just the level of demand and emphasis this instant e-mail gets is a bit disconcerting on a societal level. How the heck did we survive when all phones were wired to the wall, and mailing something involved a stamp.

Paragon
11-01-2005, 08:56 PM
How the heck did we survive when all phones were wired to the wall, and mailing something involved a stamp.

I think the world left us rotary dial guys behind, Sven. Personally, when I want something done NOW! I pick up the phone. I don't type out an email in hope of a response at some later time, or a response with questions needing further emails....I pick up the phone, deal with it, and move on. Now everyone wants/needs it to be in an email which they can decide to act on now or later. It's hard to do that with a phone call, you kind of need to deal with it now when the person is on the other end of the line. ;)

Dave

Sven Johannsen
11-01-2005, 09:58 PM
It's hard to do that with a phone call, you kind of need to deal with it now when the person is on the other end of the line. ;)

Dave

Darn caller ID and voice mail gives 'em that deal-with-it-later option too, though. :wink:

Paragon
11-01-2005, 11:18 PM
:D

SteveHoward999
11-01-2005, 11:25 PM
How the heck did we survive when all phones were wired to the wall, and mailing something involved a stamp.

I think the world left us rotary dial guys behind, Sven. Personally, when I want something done NOW! I pick up the phone. I don't type out an email in hope of a response at some later time, or a response with questions needing further emails....I pick up the phone, deal with it, and move on. Now everyone wants/needs it to be in an email which they can decide to act on now or later. It's hard to do that with a phone call, you kind of need to deal with it now when the person is on the other end of the line. ;)

Dave

If it is non-urgent I prefer eMail because I have a paper trail and both I and my client have the time to respond after a little thought rather than being forced to respond on the spot.

I certainly never consider eMail to be an appropriate communication method for urgent things. Telephone or a personal visit if it is feasible for urgent stuff.

wshwe
11-01-2005, 11:54 PM
On some deeper level I think it is indicative of a societal problem. Our addiction with 'right now' is not just in e-mail but in everything we do, fast cars, fast foods, instant gratification, etc. On a different forum, I know an individual that laments the lack of a second hand on his watch, because he needs it to time making it to the train. Lighten up people, smell the roses. Leave your work at work. While there are probably some workaholics out there (and you can be helped) the majority would likely be happier, and healthier. I remember back in the 60s when we were all looking forward to the technology that increase ou productivity and liesure time. Boy were we wrong.This sounds more like your problem and not a societal problem. There's nothing wrong about instant gratification besides the fact some people consider it wrong.

Ed Hansberry
11-02-2005, 12:29 AM
There's nothing wrong about instant gratification besides the fact some people consider it wrong.
Really? So, if I feel bad and want to feel good, there is nothing wrong with taking mood altering drugs to get that instant gratification? If I am out of town and want to fulfill sexual desires, there is nothing wrong with cheating on my wife to get that instant gratification rather than waiting until I get home? What if I just want a new gadget and don't have the money right now. No problem piling on more debt to satisfy my desire for instant gratification?

What if I just want to entertain myself? All too often we grab the TV remote or throw in a DVD because it is instant gratification, whereas picking up a book take a few extra minutes or possibly hours to get that same gratification.

In the business world instant gratification causes all sorts of inefficiencies. Just because I can run a budget in a thousandth of the time I could before electronic spreadsheets doesn't mean it is more accurate, or when you frantically have people faxing/emailing documents to hit an arbitrary deadline because some manager wants instant gratification whereas 20 years ago, he would have had no problem waiting a day or so. I don't spend less time budgeting, I jsut spend more time doing the same budget over and over and over and over for that instant gratification of the next higher up that wants to see what this run looks like.

Insant gratification can mean (not always) a lack of self control. You don't think a lack of self control is problematic?

Paragon
11-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Holy smokes, Ed. Grab the bottle marked Valium.

Geez, if people want their email now, it's not the end of the world. Satan has not possessed their soul.

Dave

Ed Hansberry
11-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Holy smokes, Ed. Grab the bottle marked Valium. Of course. Instant gratification. :way to go:
Geez, if people want their email now, it's not the end of the world. Satan has not possessed their soul.
The posts I replied to weren't addressing email. :)

whydidnt
11-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Ed,

Just because SOME instant gratification leads to bad or wrong choices, it doesn't mean it is all bad.

I don't think it's reasonable to compare wanting instant email to cheating on one's wife. One is obviously wrong, the other certainly hasn't any obvious moral implications.

Sometimes it's just what it is, and it makes you feel better without any one or thing getting hurt. You may feel reading a book more rewarding, but that certainly might not be the case for everyone.

I personally don't have to have push email, but would like it. I'm disappointed that MS is later to the game than expected and I wil be forced to carry a blackberry in addition to my PPC device because of this.

wshwe
11-02-2005, 02:16 AM
Insant gratification can mean (not always) a lack of self control. You don't think a lack of self control is problematic?I'm tired of people trying to impose their values on me. Lack of self control may or not be problematic based on the particulars of the situation and the people involved. If you're hungry should you always wait a few hours before eating something?

RIM will continue to kick Microsoft's butt until comparable push email is available for WM.

Ed Hansberry
11-02-2005, 03:22 AM
Insant gratification can mean (not always) a lack of self control. You don't think a lack of self control is problematic?I'm tired of people trying to impose their values on me.I knew moral relativism was behind this. :wink:

Sven Johannsen
11-02-2005, 05:04 AM
I personally don't have to have push email, but would like it. I'm disappointed that MS is later to the game than expected and I wil be forced to carry a blackberry in addition to my PPC device because of this.

Just curious. If you don't personally need to have push e-mail, why are you forced to carry a blackberry in addition to your PPC.

Is it that you employer forces you to have a blackberry...so you have push, i.e. instant, e-mail...with the expectation that you will respond within seconds of the e-mail arriving? You could just check your e-mail with the PPC, at convenient moments, or set schedules.

Jon Westfall
11-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Satan has not possessed their soul.

I don't know, I've done a lot of things in the pursuit of getting technology to work that people may have inferred I was possessed by something with the crazed look in my eye.

And the 2 hours I spent last night with the Dell Axim WM 5 upgrade was no exception ;)

Paragon
11-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Satan has not possessed their soul.

I don't know, I've done a lot of things in the pursuit of getting technology to work that people may have inferred I was possessed by something with the crazed look in my eye.

So far I think you are ok, Jon. When your head starts to spin, we may have a problem. Let me know, I have a friend (http://nowonmai.tripod.com/Exorcist.html) I can call.

Dave

moriahcom
11-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Does anyone here have a cel phone? What did you do before you had it? This is a choice probably everyone here made to use this instant technology. What could be so important that they couldn't just leave a message on your landline? It's all relative when it comes to new technology. Some use the tools available and some reject it, for a while. I will personally welcome push email. I have been using PDAs since the first Palm came out (and switched to Pocket PC promptly). :wink:

SteveHoward999
11-03-2005, 12:22 AM
In intrigues me that part of the argument for having push email appears to be that it is better, for some, for urgent communication.

Seems to me like people have forgotten that emails can go astray too and take hours, days or even forever to be delivered sometimes...

wshwe
11-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Generally I find it easier to handle several emails versus several voice mail messages, especially when I'm traveling. If transmission of of documents is involved email attachments are usually easier, faster and cheaper than faxes, FedEx or snail mail.

pgray007
11-03-2005, 03:44 PM
When I hear debates like this I always think of the old ride at EPCOT in Disneyworld inside the silver ball. Back in then 80's before AT&amp;T bought sponsorship and changed the ride, at the end there was this "grand tomorrow" segment, where they talked about how technology would free up so much leisure time, and we'd all be sitting with our friends and families while robots and computers did all the work.

The great lie of that theory was always that any time savings just allowed for more work, hence the great "jobless recovery" we're experiencing where employers just push each employee to do more work.

Moving away from sociology, I really just want "high quality" email on my PPC. I used to have a bberry then realized I'm not that important ;-) but the bberry did have very reliable email. It just worked and when you peeked at the device, email was there. My PPC on the other hand doesn't sync via the SMS half the time, sysncing on schedule kills the battery since it occasionally decides not to shut off after a sync, etc., etc. Push pull or tackle, I just want email that is reliable and requires an absolute minimum of me tickling the device to make things happen.

Jon Westfall
11-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Does anyone here have a cel phone? What did you do before you had it?

Pager. Although since I was in 9th grade, business was pretty slow...

Jon Westfall
11-03-2005, 06:59 PM
When I hear debates like this I always think of the old ride at EPCOT in Disneyworld inside the silver ball. Back in then 80's before AT&amp;T bought sponsorship and changed the ride, at the end there was this "grand tomorrow" segment, where they talked about how technology would free up so much leisure time, and we'd all be sitting with our friends and families while robots and computers did all the work.

The really scary thing: If I go to EPCOT again in the future, I'll probably be dragging along my email. If not for the fun, for the mobile blogging with E-Mail to Blog functionality.

Sven Johannsen
11-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Push e-mail? That's not nearly fast enough. What I really want is for e-mail to be integrated with IM so that the instant someone puts my address into the To: block, it fires up IM so I can see it as they type it, potentially allowing me to gather what they want, and respond before they even hit send.

barky81
11-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Really? So, if I feel bad and want to feel good, there is nothing wrong with taking mood altering drugs to get that instant gratification?

Well, first, millions and millions of people do--legally--by prescription. Are you the arbiter of what prescriptions other people can take?

If I am out of town and want to fulfill sexual desires, there is nothing wrong with cheating on my wife to get that instant gratification rather than waiting until I get home?

This is a somewhat harder one, if you know what I mean...but again, is this anybody's business but yours (and your wife's, of course). But I take it that you only believe in "joint gratification" of any kind with your wife, huh? That would put you in a definite minority (or so I hear).

What if I just want a new gadget and don't have the money right now. No problem piling on more debt to satisfy my desire for instant gratification?

Again, seems to be between you and the entity affording you the credit! Why don't you tell us what is the appropriate level of debt for members of this forum? Is it a fixed amount, or do you scale it in correllation with income?

What if I just want to entertain myself? All too often we grab the TV remote or throw in a DVD because it is instant gratification, whereas picking up a book take a few extra minutes or possibly hours to get that same gratification.

Before people such as yourself could afford to go into debt in order to obtain your own exorbitantly expensive (and quickly "out of date") books (or do you check your out of a library?), they "entertained" themselves by reading serialized accounts in the daily newspaper--of course, this imposed a certain limit on your access to the story...but it seems today, your lack of self-control allows you to set your own reading pace!

Me, I listen to audio books...

In the business world instant gratification causes all sorts of inefficiencies.

Yes, of all the examples, this is the best. Why they should even shut down these forums, as they challenge people's self-control and introduce such terrible inefficiencies. Hire the town crier to deliver your response, Ed, and no doubt it will eventually reach me.

But all that aside, let me share with a Tale of Instant Gratification Denied!

In which our swashbuckling hero cries out for the answer to a simple question, but NO ONE, not even those with the appropriate contacts and "authority" will help!

Everywhere he goes, people keep saying "you have to have WM5 in order to use Direct Push synchronization with Exchange 2003 SP2." And others, more "knowledgeable", quickly correct them to point out: "Oh no, you have to have MSFP and WM5 to use Direct Push!"

But this is NOT true. ANY EAS-licensed device NO MATTER WHAT OPERATING SYSTEM, can use Direct Push! Microsoft themselves have confirmed this.

And so, our swashbuckling hero, having learned this cryptic secret, now seeks to find out, simply, WILL PALM UPDATE ITS TREO 650 (and other EAS-enabled and licensed devices) TO USE DIRECT PUSH?

This is an important question, as there are well over a million such devices on the market NOW and yet, the answer appears IMPOSSIBLE to obtain. It is all the more impossible because of the incredible "self-control" exhibited by so many members of the mobile device journalism community: They scourge themselves every night is a desperate effort to keep themselves from inadvertently, publicly asking the question themselves...Why?

How is that not a single WM5 device can use Direct Push yet, while there are SYMBIAN devices that have worked SINCE the very release of Exchange 2003 SP2--and yet, not one headline on ANY mobile device site has reported on or reviewed this functionality?!?!?

I mean, really, maybe y'all don't care about PalmOS devices or Symbian devices, but I thought y'all would want to know how Direct Push actually WORKS in the real world...but apparently not.

You have too much self-control.

Jon Westfall
11-03-2005, 11:22 PM
You have too much self-control.

(Flame Warning: The following message is not to be taken as an attack, mearly a humorous observation)

You have too much time on your hands ;)

Jon Westfall
11-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Push e-mail? That's not nearly fast enough. What I really want is for e-mail to be integrated with IM so that the instant someone puts my address into the To: block, it fires up IM so I can see it as they type it, potentially allowing me to gather what they want, and respond before they even hit send.

That actually sounds kinda cool...

Paragon
11-04-2005, 07:14 PM

That's possible now Sven. Unfortunately you need to have the proper Homeland Security clearance to enable it. ;)......Oh...flag just went up...are those sirens I hear. :)

mware
11-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Push email. Now you can get interrupted 15-20 times a day by someone asking you if you have erection problems or want to buy a box set of Golden Girls DVDs.

Push email is a flawed concept. Only a very small percentage of the population can receive 'instant' push email. I think I read around 2%.

Contrast this to 100% for SMS messaging, which is not subject to SPAM and is a purpose designed paging system for small messages then you have to ask why?

I do agree with the poster that said email is a good queuing system. The only problem is that push technology makes it LIFO instead of FIFO, so you effectively end up doing a lot but achieving very little.

Push email is a solution to a problem that is more of a problem than the problem itself.

wshwe
11-07-2005, 06:48 AM
Push email is a flawed concept. Only a very small percentage of the population can receive 'instant' push email. I think I read around 2%. Push email is a solution to a problem that is more of a problem than the problem itself.You may not want instant mobile email, but an awful lot of people do. Witness the skyrocketing success of Blackberries and Treos and to a lesser extent Sidekicks.

SteveHoward999
11-07-2005, 01:40 PM
'skyrocketing'? Seems a little exaggerated to cynical old me ;-)