View Full Version : PPC (USB host?) + external hdd - Advice?

d508dq
10-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for info on any experience you have in using a PPC with a Portable Storage Device / external HDD. I'm looking to buy my first PPC (previously a Palm user!)

I'm thinking about buying one of these PSDs:
http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2260.html
Primarily, I'll use it for copying camera cards when I'm away from home, although I also want to back up the data on my PC.
It's essentially a 2.5 HDD enclosure with rechargable battery and card slots built in. I'll get a 20 or 40GB HDD for it.

I want to be able to access the drive from a PPC for viewing pics, videos, and accessing other data files.

If you have successfully connected a PPC to a similar device, please let me know what your set up is - PDA make & model, OS, and external hardware you used. I haven't spent any money yet and I'm keen to buy something tried and tested!

I think that the LOOX, Toshiba E80x and certain Asus devices might be the way forward for integral USB host capabilities... which I would prefer to the CF / USB host adaptor option (eg. Ratoc adaptor). What I really want to know is which is going to be the easiest to plug in and use on a daily basis? (The wife will want to use it, as well!)

Additional relevant info (eg. battery life for viewing movies) is also welcomed!

Thanks in advance,
S

[Not sure which category to put this post in, so apologies to the Mod who wants to move it!!]