View Full Version : Connecting via BT on ipaq to PC

Sproketjockey
10-25-2005, 11:57 AM
I recently just bought a bluetooth dongle and I am trying to set it up so that I can connect to the internet via my ppc.

I am running XP Home SP2 I have a Belkin BT Dongle (F8T008) I am using an ipaq 3970 with Windows Mobile 2003.

I have got the dongle installed and everything - I have even almost made a proper connection although when I get to the bit where it says click to allow the pocket device to create a connection on the pc - I do but then the ipaq tries to make another connection it just says dialling with 'bluetooth settings underneath. can neone help me, many thanks.

Sproket

Sproketjockey
10-25-2005, 12:19 PM
oh yeah, I am running an 8mb connection with a netgear wired dg834 router.

Sven Johannsen
10-25-2005, 03:07 PM
BT has many profiles. Sounds like you are trying a 'connect to internet' option. That's really to connect the PPC through a BT phone acting as a modem, which would explain the dialing reference.

For what you want there are two options. One is to connect to the PC for networking and set the PC up top share, or the easier way, set the BT up for ActiveSync and let pass-through do the rest of the work.

You first need to determine what comm port the incoming BT uses on your PC. That shopuld be available in the BT manager stuff for your dongle, whether you are using Belkin's software or just let the XP SP2 BT stuff drive it. That is the hardest part. Then in connections in AS you set the serial port to look at that comm port. On the PPC you add a new BT connection, but select ActiveSync as the desired type. You mess with the OKs and PINs back and forth and hopefully AS will stat up and connect. Then you can use Pass-through just like from the cradle.

Sproketjockey
10-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Yay it works! I just set it up as a BT Activesync connection and it works fine I am surfing the internet and everything, one thing tho, I bought a 100m dongle but when I go about 2 rooms away the signal dissapears and I get disconnected - is this because the ipaq doesn't have the same transmitting capability as the dongle? if so this is weird because I manage to communicate between two ipaqs the exact same distance and it works fine :( Also, are there any recommendations on any software that can adapt ordinary webpages into PDA Style web pages - or are there any tips or tricks you could let me know about so that my browsing is more effective??

Thanks very much for your preliminary info it was a great help!

Sproket

Sven Johannsen
10-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Cool, glad it helped. As far as a better browsing experience, there are about 3 options. 1) frequent sites that the owner/author understands and supports mobile devices. 2) use an alternative browser, such as Netfront or 3) use one of the pre-processing services such as Thunderhawk.

I tend to use #1. There are a lot of sites out there that support mobile browsers. There are even sites that are just lists of sites that do. Only one I have here is http://www.wacklepedia.com/pdahotspots/pda_hotspots.htm