View Full Version : ARM ASM & 80x86 ASM

Typhoon
10-25-2005, 04:35 AM
What is the difference between ARM ASM and IBM PC ASM? And difference for coding them?

Guest979
12-20-2005, 02:53 AM
What is the difference between ARM ASM and IBM PC ASM? And difference for coding them?

My understanding is that the only purpose of the 80x86 version is for use with the PocketPC Emulator, when under development.

All recent PocketPCs use ARM-compliant processors, such as the Intel XScale. If you want to support older CPUs as well, you can use the other versions. I have yet to encounter a situation where any .NET code had to be modified due solely to CPU considerations.

Typhoon
12-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Thanks for your reply, but I was wondering about something else. If I learned to use ARM for the IBM PC, how much is that knowledge transferable to ARM CPUs? Is ASM for ARM CPUs different than IBM CPUs?

Janak Parekh
12-20-2005, 04:14 AM
Thanks for your reply, but I was wondering about something else. If I learned to use ARM for the IBM PC, how much is that knowledge transferable to ARM CPUs? Is ASM for ARM CPUs different than IBM CPUs?
What do you mean by "ARM for the IBM PC"?

If you're asking how similar the instruction sets are in a general sense, not very. ARM is a mostly-RISC architecture, and x86 is a very CISC architecture. The general concepts apply to both, but register usage, opcodes, the number of parameters, etc. all differ.

--janak

Typhoon
12-20-2005, 06:14 AM
Thanks. That's what I meant.