View Full Version : Block Recognizer help with "G" and "Q" and "D"

avrum68
10-24-2005, 03:10 AM
Anybody else pulling their hair out trying to input "G" "Q" and "D" into their PPC via Block Recognizer. Any other software you'd recommend? Tutorials/tips? Thanks.

Darius Wey
10-24-2005, 03:59 AM
If you've come from the old Graffiti system, then you should know how much of an annoyance it is inputting those characters (since Block Recognizer is based on Graffiti from Palm). If you tend to write your characters normally, then I suggest using Letter Recognizer or Transcriber. You'll lose less hair if you switch over. ;)

avrum68
10-24-2005, 04:35 AM
then I suggest using Letter Recognizer or Transcriber. You'll lose less hair if you switch over. ;)

I guess it's a matter which method causes more hair loss. Recognizer doesn't recognize much (of my handwritting anyway) and transcriber is s-l-o-w. Or am I missing something?

Darius Wey
10-24-2005, 04:55 AM
I guess it's a matter which method causes more hair loss. Recognizer doesn't recognize much (of my handwritting anyway) and transcriber is s-l-o-w. Or am I missing something?

Well, it does depend on how you normally write your characters. If you write conventionally, then Letter Recognizer is the right fit for you. If your writing's a little more cursive, then Transcriber works great. You can modify the speed settings by loading Transcriber as your active SIP and selecting Options. From there, you can adjust the recognition delay.

Graffiti/Block Recognizer has never worked for me, though your mileage may vary. If you're after a handwriting SIP that allows a greater degree of customisation and accommodation, then CalliGrapher 8.0 (http://www.phatware.com/calligrapher/index.html) is worth a look.

avrum68
10-24-2005, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the info..

gregmills
10-26-2005, 09:30 PM
My handwriting is starting to look like grafitti. I come from the Palm world though so I'm biased toward Block Recognizer.

Make sure you are writing your letters large. The smaller you write the more difficult it will be to recognize.

G works fine for me. Start at 1 o'clock draw counterclockwise around to 3 o'clock and then cut straight into the middle.

Q is a little strange but not once you get used to it. Start at 12 o'clock, draw counterclockwise back to 12 o'clock the go straight out to the right.

D start at the top and draw a line straight down and thenack up to where you started, then draw a curve frmo there clockwise to the bottom point o your first line.

All of these are one single stroke. Upper and lowercase letters are drawn the same way. I think your problems may be coming from trying to draw the lowercase characters. Tap the "ABC" in the corner of the block to change the case.