View Full Version : I need alot of advice and help

Chris112
10-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I am new to the pocket pc world and am interested in getting a started. I am looking for a good unit that will allow a GPS unit to be installed on it. I dont have alot of money to invest, but do understand that its not cheap. If anyone can point me in the right direction to a good pocket pc that is reasonablely priced and one that will be compatable with a navi. Is a garmain unit with built in Navi the best/cheapest route? Or is putting together your own combo better? Please help me out.

Thanks alot!

Chris

Darius Wey
10-20-2005, 06:28 AM
I'd say an integrated GPS unit would be the easiest route, though in most cases, don't expect it to feature the best specs in the market. Garmin, Navman and Mio devices all tend to have standard processor speeds, RAM and ROM sizes, QVGA screens, with integrated GPS. The upcoming Fujitsu-Siemens N series will feature GPS. The low-end models are comparable to the aforementioned, though rumour is the high-end models will feature some really nice specs, so it's worth looking out for those when they're released.

If you're not after an integrated unit, you can always purchase a separate Pocket PC (one that's to your liking) and then purchase a Bluetooth GPS unit or a CompactFlash GPS card. Since there aren't a lot of CompactFlash Pocket PCs in the market, I think the Bluetooth unit would be the better option, though be wary that some Pocket PCs are starting to ship without Bluetooth (e.g. the iPAQ rx1950). But I don't think Bluetooth will die off anytime soon, so a Bluetooth GPS unit will probably allow you to continue using it a few years down the track if/when you choose to upgrade your Pocket PC.

One other advantage to purchasing a Bluetooth GPS unit is that some companies package it with mapping software -- effectively saving you the extra time searching for a suitable software package.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably look at either an integrated GPS unit or a separate Pocket PC with a Bluetooth GPS unit (if you're after a device with somewhat better specs), followed shortly by a CF GPS card.

kaitanium
10-21-2005, 11:18 PM
yea the devices with gps built in usually lack in the features (such as processor, memory, etc) compared to the non integrated devices. check out the latest dell axim x51v. if youre stateside they got a good deal going on right now. DBX$K9J6K9T3TK code gets you 20% off that brings a dell gps combo from $776 to about $525. plus a ebay coupon for $35off$300 gets you $35 off on top of that (they send you coupon code right away after purchase). that dell has top of the line specs. if you dont want their bundled gps then you can grab the device for about $300. i dont think this deal will last long. and for that price, its super resonably priced for the features it gives you. or even watch the boards for a used x50v if you dont mind. =P

i have a x50v and i advocate dells devices alot cuz im just that happy with it. also have an old school pharos compact flash gps to go with it and its outdated ostia 6 mapping software. works perfectly

Chris112
10-22-2005, 12:13 AM
yea the devices with gps built in usually lack in the features (such as processor, memory, etc) compared to the non integrated devices. check out the latest dell axim x51v. if youre stateside they got a good deal going on right now. DBX$K9J6K9T3TK code gets you 20% off that brings a dell gps combo from $776 to about $525. plus a ebay coupon for $35off$300 gets you $35 off on top of that (they send you coupon code right away after purchase). that dell has top of the line specs. if you dont want their bundled gps then you can grab the device for about $300. i dont think this deal will last long. and for that price, its super resonably priced for the features it gives you. or even watch the boards for a used x50v if you dont mind. =P

i have a x50v and i advocate dells devices alot cuz im just that happy with it. also have an old school pharos compact flash gps to go with it and its outdated ostia 6 mapping software. works perfectly

Hey thanks alot.. I put together a dell unit to try..

how does this look.

Axim X51v Axim X51v,Intel® 624MHz,256MB ROM,64MB SDRAM, 3.7 inch VGA 802.11b,BT edit
Metal Cases None edit
Leather Carrying Cases Belkin Executive Leather Case edit
Active Lifestyle Cases None edit
Additional Batteries None edit
Additional Memory Card Sandisk - 1GB Secure Digital Memory Card edit
Limited Warranty 1Yr Ltd. Warranty, 1 yr Technical Support, 1 yr Advance Exchange edit
Completecare Accidental Service None edit
External Keyboard None edit
USB Cable and Cradle USB Travel Sync Cable/Cradle for Dell Axim X51 Handheld edit
Mobility Cables None edit
External Video Out Cables None edit
GPS Navigation Systems Dell GPS Navigation System with Cabled GPS Receiver edit
Stylus and Screen Protector None edit
3D Games None edit
Networking Software None edit
Headset None edit

The GPS unit comes with the software needed too?

Chris112
10-22-2005, 12:22 AM
the dell coupon doesnt seem to work.. says it was previously used..

but that looks like a nice powerful unit... good numbers anyways.

The gps accessory that you get with that is more of a plug in item it looks like..

I also didnt see if it had bluetooth or not.

Darius Wey
10-22-2005, 03:30 AM
how does this look.

Axim X51v Axim X51v,Intel® 624MHz,256MB ROM,64MB SDRAM, 3.7 inch VGA 802.11b,BT edit
Metal Cases None edit
Leather Carrying Cases Belkin Executive Leather Case edit
Active Lifestyle Cases None edit
Additional Batteries None edit
Additional Memory Card Sandisk - 1GB Secure Digital Memory Card edit
Limited Warranty 1Yr Ltd. Warranty, 1 yr Technical Support, 1 yr Advance Exchange edit
Completecare Accidental Service None edit
External Keyboard None edit
USB Cable and Cradle USB Travel Sync Cable/Cradle for Dell Axim X51 Handheld edit
Mobility Cables None edit
External Video Out Cables None edit
GPS Navigation Systems Dell GPS Navigation System with Cabled GPS Receiver edit
Stylus and Screen Protector None edit
3D Games None edit
Networking Software None edit
Headset None edit

That looks fine. If you want to save some money, you can take out the SD card and leather case and acquire them separately -- of course, you'll have to spend a bit more time shopping around, but in my experiences, you will always be able to find a cheaper memory card and much higher-quality (though slightly more expensive) leather cases floating around (e.g. from Sena Cases, Vaja Cases, nSignia, Piel Frama, etc.).

Darius Wey
10-22-2005, 03:33 AM
The GPS unit comes with the software needed too?

Yes, it should be included.

The gps accessory that you get with that is more of a plug in item it looks like.. I also didnt see if it had bluetooth or not.

In the past, Dell has offered a Bluetooth GPS receiver with bundled software. Unless they've done the ol' switcheroo on their offerings, it should still be the same.

jiro8281
10-22-2005, 04:59 AM
Yep, if you think those stuff are so expensive to you, i suggest you to buy the screen protector, it can help your RX3715 to avoid being scratched, it works and much cheaper than the leather case or other thing else.

you can have a look there, www.pda-now.com

kaitanium
10-22-2005, 05:34 AM
yea dell coupons usually have like a limit of the first 1000 userss or seomthing like that. oh well wait for more deals! love the axim x50v series!!! yes it comes with software for the gps

Chris112
10-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for your help I guess I will wait for another go around of dell coupons.. anyone know how often they are released? The experation on the current group says 10/25/05 so I assume it would be soon after that.

THanks again and from what it sounds like from you guys, the Dell unit is the best for the money at this time. Especially with the coupon..

Chris112
10-22-2005, 06:04 PM
does anyone have any experience buying them on ebay..
I found them at a decent price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Latest-fm-DELL-AXIM-X51V-624MHZ-256-MB-ROM-not-X51-X50v_W0QQitemZ5821593028QQcategoryZ38331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it says 1 year warrenty like dell but I am not sure how the warrenty on the auction would work.

I asked the seller that question.

Any thoughts about an ebay purchase?