View Full Version : **Microsoft is offering FREE SOFTWARE for providing feedback on upcoming Mobile Devices***

Microsoft Usability
10-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Greetings,

My name is James Pazhavila, and I work with the Microsoft Usability Group, currently supporting the MS Mobile Devices team.

Microsoft regularly conducts usability research studies to learn how we can improve our products for end-users. We are currently seeking Pocket PC and cell phone enthusiasts to evaluate and provide feedback on mobile devices that are still under development. This is an exciting opportunity to see upcoming products, and help determine the direction we take with future Mobile Devices!

All participants will also receive FREE SOFTWARE from a wide range of Microsoft titles as a token of our appreciation. Currently this list includes Windows XP Professional, Office 2003 Professional, Project 2003 and many others.

The typical time commitment for these research studies is 2 hours, and they primarily take place on our campus in Redmond, WA.

The criteria for our current research studies are as follows:

· People who work away from their primary work location at least 25% of the time.
· People who need to access information from their work PC while they are away from their primary work location.
· Subscribe to a data plan through their wireless provider
· Send and receive text messages on a daily basis
· Live in or around the Seattle area

If you match the above criteria, please contact me directly at [email protected]. My team will then follow up with you within 2 business days. We have an immediate need for participants, so please respond by October 30, 2005.

If you do not match these exact parameters, but are still interested in upcoming usability studies, please visit our website: http://www.microsoft.com/usability. From there, you can access our online sign-up form and enroll yourself in our program.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
James Pazhavila
Recruiting Coordinator
Microsoft Usability Group
425-722-0360

*Refer your friends and co-workers using Mobile Devices to sign up to participate in Microsoft Usability studies by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/usability/enrollment.htm

Patrick Y.
10-20-2005, 12:09 AM
If you do not match these exact parameters, but are still interested in upcoming usability studies, please visit our website: http://www.microsoft.com/usability . From there, you can access our online sign-up form and enroll yourself in our program.

Would you be kind enough to tell me more about this? Is it possible to participate and do EVERYTHING online without actually showing up in person? Is there any limitations? Can people below 17 years old participate? Thanks.

whydidnt
10-20-2005, 01:08 AM
I don't live in or around Seattle, but here's hoping a couple of PPCT readers make the cut and provide a power users perspective on these things. :beer:

AKAJohnDoe
10-20-2005, 03:28 AM
I sent you a response.

Not really interested in free software, though.

References:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119762

http://discussion.brighthand.com/palmhandhelds/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71370&perpage=1&pagenumber=35

http://discussion.brighthand.com/palmhandhelds/showthread.php?s=&postid=402550?

UnLoGiC
10-20-2005, 07:10 AM
I qualify for all the criterias except when it comes to living in or around Seattle, no matter how i turn the globe Sweden is always so far away from Seattle :wink:

seaflipper
10-20-2005, 07:15 AM
Not really interested in free software, though.

Ever heard of "eBay"?

MEEGOOK
10-20-2005, 02:21 PM
If you'd really like true feedback why not just ask us, the users? As, you can see from our active forums we have plenty of hates, likes and wants. Limiting yourself to Seattle is like trying to understand the world while looking though a soda straw........ :devilboy:

whydidnt
10-20-2005, 03:01 PM
If you'd really like true feedback why not just ask us, the users? As, you can see from our active forums we have plenty of hates, likes and wants. Limiting yourself to Seattle is like trying to understand the world while looking though a soda straw........ :devilboy:

Well, it sounds like they want to show people upcoming products that are under development, let people see and touch them, and then get feedback, so it makes sense that they need people to physically be there. I'm sure they aren't interested in paying airfare for a group to come there, so they asked for people locally.

Now maybe if some of us want to foot the bill for a ticket they'll change their mind, but, I don't really have any issue with them wanting to get locals for this kind of study.

Any time MS asks for feedback from the user community, I think we should take it without screaming too loud. :D

Muntasser
10-20-2005, 05:06 PM
· Live in or around the Seattle area

Bah!

Microsoft Usability
10-20-2005, 08:28 PM
I want to extend my appreciation to everyone who has responded to my initial post, and all those who have replied by email. We are very excited to get such an enthusiastic response from this vibrant forum!

I would also like to take this opportunity to clarify our requirement for participants to be from the Seattle area. Our product evaluation labs are located on our campus in Redmond, WA. We typically ask participants to come in for a two-hour session which is scheduled about a week in advance. Being that the time frame for the whole process is relatively short, we are unable to coordinate travel arrangements for any of our participants, even for those within our local area.

As I have mentioned to some of you who contacted me directly, we may have the ability to conduct remote studies at some point in the future. We also periodically conduct online surveys, and we do give out free software for these.

The best way to get involved in either of these is to visit our website at: www.microsoft.com/usability From there, you can find out further details regarding our program, and sign yourself up to participate in future studies.

We are still leaving the call open for Seattle-area participants to contact me directly regarding our current Mobile Device studies.

Thanks again to everyone on this board for the great response!!

Best regards,
James Pazhavila
Recruiting Coordinator
Microsoft Usability Group

ctmagnus
10-21-2005, 04:40 AM
As I have mentioned to some of you who contacted me directly, we may have the ability to conduct remote studies at some point in the future. We also periodically conduct online surveys, and we do give out free software for these.

Ok, I've signed up!

joefuture
10-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Well, I don't live in Seattle, but I thought I'd submit some random feedback here...

1) Replace ActiveSync. Even v4.0 still can't be shut down by "normal" users - you have to go through Task Manager.
2) It takes 4 taps to rotate screen orientation. Why isn't this a required hardware button?
3) Add the concept of "profiles" to non-phone Pocket PCs. For example, if I'm in a meeting, I want to be able to quickly switch to sound off, WiFi enabled, and dim screen brightness.

juz some thoughts...