View Full Version : WM5: Where'd they put that?

OneAngryDwarf
10-19-2005, 02:52 AM
So got me a nice new Axim X51v and love it but thus far have found two annoying thing which I can't find solutions for... Anybody able to help?

1) I have my BT phone paired and working but the only way I can get it to initiate a gprs connection is to open up PIE and nav to a web page. I'm guessing Inbox would initiate too but I didn't check. No longer is there an option to connect when clicking on the connectivity icon up top. When I am connected the disconnect option does appear. This is annoying as programs like pRSS do not initiate a connection.

2) I no longer see an option to dial a contact via bluetooth or to send a contact through bluetooth for that matter. What's up w/ that?

3) Somewhat unrelated but I uninstalled a couple apps but remnants were left behind. When I went to delete the leftover files WM said they couldn't cuz they were in use and I did restart.

Thanks for any help. :?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-19-2005, 06:49 AM
1. Does the x51v have the broadcomm/widcomm stack? I thought you can initiate a connection yourself through the bluetooth connection manager. On my Loox720 (admittedly WM2003SE) it can be found by clicking the bluetooth icon on the command bar at the bottom or through Start Menu->Settings->connections tab->bluetooth. It could also be because your connection settings are not set to the Bluetooth connection settings - this is at Start Menu->Settings->Connections tab->Connections->Advanced->Select networks, and then go through the dropdown list for internet connections.

2. No idea, sorry.

3. Two options - get something like safemode (http://www.monocube.com), or go to your startup folder under windows and delete the links there (be careful you only delete the programs you're after and not the rest!). A soft reset should then allow you to safely remove the programs.

OneAngryDwarf
10-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Oh the connection is set to bluetooth or i wouldn't be able to connect w/ IE... it just shows no manual option of connecting. I don't know what stack it uses but it seems kind of skimpy in comparison to previous handhelds i've had... does transfer data a bit faster though. Come to think of it now, i don't even see a way to transfer files or explore another bluetooth device. Surely they didn't leave that out

Nurhisham Hussein
10-19-2005, 02:36 PM
That sounds like the Microsoft stack, which is strange because I thought Dell used the Broadcomm/Widcomm stack which is light years better. It's a step backward in my opinion. Isn't there a bluetooth profile manager or something of that sort on your device?

Jason Dunn
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
That sounds like the Microsoft stack, which is strange because I thought Dell used the Broadcomm/Widcomm stack which is light years better. It's a step backward in my opinion. Isn't there a bluetooth profile manager or something of that sort on your device?

Dell switched to the Microsoft stack. :?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Urgh...that's awful :(

Jason Dunn
10-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Urgh...that's awful :(

Yeah, but it's one less licensing fee for them since the MS BT stack comes "free" with Windows Mobile 5.

OneAngryDwarf
10-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Anybody know if there are any plans in the short term for MS and/or Dell to release an update to increase the bluetooth stacks functionality cuz this is really stupid and annoying. I miss being able to dial numbers from my handheld among other things.

Jason Dunn
10-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Anybody know if there are any plans in the short term for MS and/or Dell to release an update to increase the bluetooth stacks functionality cuz this is really stupid and annoying. I miss being able to dial numbers from my handheld among other things.

So is there a profile missing from the MS BT stack, or is this some other sort of functionality? I don't use BT very often, I'm at a bit of a loss here.

OneAngryDwarf
10-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Jason it comes down to this for me. On my iPaq 2210 and 4150 I was able to connect to the internet (manually by saying to connect or by having things like PIE automatically connect), In contacts I was able to click and hold on contacts and chose to dial a contact or transfer a contact card. I was also able to use a file explorer type system to connect to the phone to transfer files back and forth or delete files on the phone.

Now I can only connect to the internet by having something like PIE connect (no manual connection available). The only other option I have now is to beam a file or contact which uses what used to be solely used for IR to get it to the phone. No dialing, no file explorer type navigation.

From what I have read since originally posting all of this, is that it lacks the networking profile or something like that. Apparently the Axim also lacks the headset profile too I think but not having one, I don't know for sure.

Jason Dunn
10-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the clarification on your problem - let me do some digging.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-20-2005, 02:28 AM
i think the networking profile is there - otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect at all. But it is rather sad that you can't connect manually. As for the headset profile - that isn't very common, and I'm not so surprised that it could be missing from the MS stack. Quite a few PDAs with the Broadcomm stack don't have it either.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Here's something worth a try:

Goto your connection settings - Start Menu->Settings->Connections tab->Connections. At this point (and I'm not sure where this applies to WM5.0) you should be able to get into editing your network connection settings. Try to get into the bluetooth one, or wherever your phone dial settings are placed. In WM2003SE, its under the advanced tab, and you need to click on the select networks button. This takes you to the network connections selection screen. Here I would press on edit, then the modem tab. This shows my existing connection to my phone. All I need to do then is to tap and hold, and context menu comes up giving the option to connect or delete the setting.

That's the long way of course. If the settings you want are already selected as default, you should be able to get to it through it straight from clicking on the connections control panel applet, via a selectable link.

Let us know if this works - there's actually a simpler way to get directly to the connection settings from the today screen via a standard shortcut, but its best to test this out first.