View Full Version : SD Card strangeness...

burtcom
10-18-2005, 04:56 PM
I have a 1GB SanDisk card in my HP rx3115. Sometimes, several files or folders appear to be missing from the card. If I remove the card and reinsert it, the files are again visible -- if I then run the SD card through chkdsk it reports that all is well (or occassionally it might fix a few items)

However, if I don't notice this and do something to cause a write to the card, then things can be really messed up. Sometimes I lose just a few files and have to reformat and restore from backup. One time the FAT was corrupted to the point where the entire card seemed empty.

As long as I'm religious about making sure that no folders are missing when I turn the device on (and do the remove and reinsert) then things stay very stable -- but if I don't catch it then things can be very bad.

Anyone else see this behavior? Is it indicative of a bad card, a bad slot?

Or is it just what sometimes happens with Windows Mobile devices :-)

I have noticed occassionally when I put the card in the card reader attached to my PowerBook, OSX reports that it can't read the card and wants to format. If I eject and reinsert, it then all is well. Haven't seen this happen to the card reader in a Windows machine, though -- but the fact that this happens on a machine other than the HP rx3115 indicates to me that the card itself might be flaky.