View Full Version : Using BT GPS with Pocket PC versus IQUE ???

pilot4x4
10-18-2005, 04:40 PM
I've been considering purchasing one of the Garmin IQUE units, M5 or 3600 but have been thinking it might be better to go with a normal pocket PC, add Bluetooth GPS and software. The question I have is this, if I add BT and software to a Pocket PC will it integrate together as well as the Garmin setup? Is their software that will allow me to easily take a contact from my contact list and go to that address like the Garmin system? Thanks, John

Sven Johannsen
10-18-2005, 05:18 PM
The question I have is this, if I add BT and software to a Pocket PC will it integrate together as well as the Garmin setup?

Is their software that will allow me to easily take a contact from my contact list and go to that address like the Garmin system?

That's two questions and IMHO two answers. No, I don't think that a PPC + GPS +Software is going to integrate as well as an all in one solution. Especially if you stick with the included mapping software. There is essentially no setup, except for loading the maps you will need.

The drawback is that you won't be able to upgrade the pieces like you would with the component system, and the iQue isn't particularly top of the line when it comes to PPC specs. With Components, you could get a new PPC or a new GPS or different mapping software if you choose.

The second answer is yes, most all the mapping software packages do allow you to reach into the contacts DB and pull out the address (home or business usually) and locat it it or route to or from it.

I think if you are purchasing the unit primarily with navigation in mind, you will be happy with the iQue. If you are wanting a PPC and all that it entails, and also want to take advantage of it's capabilities paired with a GPS, then I'd go for seperate pieces. That takes a bit more futzing with to get going, but it quickly becomes routine.

pilot4x4
10-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I think the PPC and BT will probably work better for me. When we use it for navigation it will primarily be in our motorhome. The seats are too far apart for both the driver and passenger to be able to operate an IQUE mounted on the dash so we'd probably have to use an external antenna on the dash so we could keep the PPC in the center console where we could both see it. Doing that will take away the advantage of having a GPS built into the IQUE. I've never used BT before for anything, or owned a PPC for that matter but with a setup like that we can leave the BT receiver up on the dash and move the PPC between driver and passenger as needed and we won't lose the GPS signal right? John

Sven Johannsen
10-18-2005, 08:53 PM
I've never used BT before for anything, or owned a PPC for that matter but with a setup like that we can leave the BT receiver up on the dash and move the PPC between driver and passenger as needed and we won't lose the GPS signal right? John
Absolutely. You could even wander back to the kitchen or rec room in your Motorhome with the PPC and leave the BT receiver up on the dash. You'll get 20-30' of freedom, in most cases. If you got real excited about this, you could even get an external antenna for the BT GPS, epoxy that to the roof of the motorhome (outside), and run the cable inside to the BT unit velcroed to the ceiling inside, or somewhere that is convenient to a power source.

pilot4x4
10-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Sounds like that is the way to go then. We've got a few vehicles we drive plus the motor home so if there was a magnetic mount antenna, or we could make one magnetic mount that would be ideal. Although for the motor home we'd probably need a seperate antenna and epoxy it to the top since there isn't much metal for it to stick to. Do you have any recommendations for a good BT unit that is waterproof and also easy to run a cable out of to the inside of the motorhome to a power supply? Also do any of the BT have a magnetic mount? John

Sven Johannsen
10-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Don't have any specific recomendations. You might look around www.gpspassion.com. Just so you know these do exist though, here is a link to the antenna for a DeLorme BlueLogger http://www.bluelogger.com/prod_accessories.asp?p=7. The Blue Logger is a pretty good device BTW, IMHO. For reference the antenna is the only thing you might want outside. The actual GPS receiver can be kept 'indoors', so waterproof isn't a big deal. You could even use the mag ant just in the motorhome and just the naked GPS in other vehicles. These things generally last 6-8 hours on a charge, so if you are the typical tow the car behind the coach folks, you could likely just take the GPS and PPC along on the short trips at stop overs with nothing else.

mrozema
10-18-2005, 11:09 PM
I've got the F-Tech Solar 7 bluetooth gps unit. It works great and the charge lasts 20 hours, or 30 if in direct sunlight because its got a built-in solar panel. Its also magnetic and has nice rubber feet on the bottom.
Just another unit to consider. :D

Sven Johannsen
10-19-2005, 04:00 AM
I found a review of the F-tech unit here http://www.digitalreviews.net/reviews/062005/solar7gps/index.htm. Neat. The extra battery life seems to come at the expens of size, which is typical. More longevity in a battery tends to equate to bigger. The Delorme is just a bit bigger than that Emtac they show it with, which seems to be the same as my old Socket unit.

mrozema
10-19-2005, 06:20 AM
Its true that its a little bigger than most, but I never understood why the size these particular devices really mattered. Its just going to sit on your dash anyways right?