View Full Version : Can Pocket Outlook show more than one item on the Today Screen?

natecorbitt
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Is there any way to have Pocket Outlook show more than just the next upcoming appointment in the Today Screen? I like to be able to see my week at a glance. I was using SPB Diary, but it was causing WiFi problems (I read in some other threads that anything that changes the Today Screen can cause the WiFi to be flaky - but that's another issue altogether). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sven Johannsen
10-17-2005, 10:08 PM
???I read in some other threads that anything that changes the Today Screen can cause the WiFi to be flaky.???

I find that hard to believe. Specific apps maybe, but not generically. I have almost nothing but third party apps on my Today screen and no issue with WiFi.

But to your question, no. You get a choice, under calendar options in the Today applet, of Next Appt or Upcoming Appts. IIRC, Next gives just the next one, regardless of when it is. Upcoming can give more than one, but only for a single date, i.e today. Haven't used this in forever though.

If you want a week, or more, you need a third party app. If you have tried SPBs and have found issues, I'd try SBSH Pocket Breeze. There's a trial available. http://www.sbsh.net/products/pocketbreeze/

natecorbitt
10-18-2005, 03:28 AM
???I read in some other threads that anything that changes the Today Screen can cause the WiFi to be flaky.???

I find that hard to believe. Specific apps maybe, but not generically. I have almost nothing but third party apps on my Today screen and no issue with WiFi.
I think it is mainly with the Samsung i730. There were some issues when the i730 was first released, (Verizon was doing something with the WiFi functionality and it messed up when you put certain things on the Today Screen) and I'm not sure they were ever addressed. I am trying out Pocket Breeze right now, and it seems to be doing fine. Hopefully it will stay that way.

scottb
10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
When I want to use WiFi, I have to disable the Today screen plug-in for PocketBreeze to enable WiFi. After WiFi is enabled, I can put PB back on the Today screen. I believe there is a huge thread on pdaPhoneHome about WiFi and Today screen plug-ins.

natecorbitt
10-19-2005, 05:30 PM
I believe there is a huge thread on pdaPhoneHome about WiFi and Today screen plug-ins.

Yeah, that's where I saw the thread I mentioned above. I didn't see anything about having more days listed on Pocket Outlook, so I figured I would ask here.

By the way, I'm about 2 hours west of you in Asheville.

MleB
10-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Sounds like you found a solution to the viewing issue with PocketBreeze.

Otherwise, I would have suggested the freeware Calendar+ - as here -

http://www.freewareppc.com/clock/calendar.shtml

or the developer's site -

http://mohairsofa.com/Default.aspx/document/10

which includes more screenshots.

I'm assuming it would run on your Samsung - I'm using it on my Dell Axim X50 with no probs.

Can't help you on the Wi-Fi / Today screen issue though. Something is obviously squiffy there and its disheartening to find it is an 'issue' with your smartphone.

Sven Johannsen
10-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Maybe it has to do with the process limit. I recall numerous discussions about the OS having a limit to the number of processes that can be running at once, though I don't recall the details. I do recall that PPCPE and Smartphones were hampered more, because of the number of processes that are runing by default due to the phone support. I expect that Today screen plugins are using up processes as they are constantly resident, making them seem the culprit. Maybe someone more on the developer side can comment further.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-20-2005, 02:17 AM
The process limit is 32. On my Loox720 I have about 14 running at startup, 2 of which are programs identifiable as those I loaded myself. For PPC phones I imagine it would add at least 2-3 more. It might not be this problem though, as large processes/dlls will also have the same effect e.g Wisbar Advance, Calligrapher.

scottb
10-20-2005, 03:23 AM
I believe there is a huge thread on pdaPhoneHome about WiFi and Today screen plug-ins.

Yeah, that's where I saw the thread I mentioned above. I didn't see anything about having more days listed on Pocket Outlook, so I figured I would ask here.

By the way, I'm about 2 hours west of you in Asheville.

I've only been down that way once or twice--nice town. I bet it's a great time of year to be there.

I'll have to try disabling a different plug-in next time I use WiFi to see if it looks like too many processes or if it's PB in particular.