View Full Version : Really basic Pocket PC question.. How do you install a program?

roboedar
10-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Hi everyone, I dont have a pocket pc so that should clear things up if you are wondering why i am asking such a dumb question. =)

I was just wondering, what happens when the number of programs/utilities you instal exceeds the capacity of the installed RAM. I have seen some with 64MB of ram, which doesn't seem like much and I would imagine it is common to run out of storage space.

I was wondering, can you install programs onto the little SD and flash cards? I just dont know how pocket PC's work to that capacity... If someone could give a link to a site that explains how it all works, that woudl be cool.

The reason why I ask is, if you install a program onto an SD card (if thats even possible), then what happens when you swap it out for another SD card or something like that? Would it just keep looking for the needed files until it gives up?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-17-2005, 10:14 AM
You'll still need some RAM for program execution - so a PPC that's full to the brim with programs will hang a lot. So yes, it's quite common for people to use flash cards for extra storage.

I have both an SD and a CF card slot, with a 1GB card in each. I use the SD mainly for programs (about 300MB worth) and it doesn't leave my PDA at all. The CF is used almost exclusively for media like mp3s, e-books and movies. If you install to a card, and then take out the card, the OS will just return a 'program not found message'.

Which is why you should always install programs that run on start-up or run on the today screen, to RAM or your ROM memory (File Store, BIS, LooxStore - depending on the manufacturer). Actually there's another reason for this rule-of-thumb, but the above is as good an explanation as any (it has to do with the initialisation of the card slots on a soft reset).

Darius Wey
10-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone, I dont have a pocket pc so that should clear things up if you are wondering why i am asking such a dumb question. =)

First of all, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts. No question is too "dumb", so feel free to ask whatever you wish.

I was just wondering, what happens when the number of programs/utilities you instal exceeds the capacity of the installed RAM. I have seen some with 64MB of ram, which doesn't seem like much and I would imagine it is common to run out of storage space.

If you have insufficient space for a program, then the system will let you know and it won't proceed with the installation. Generally, there are two ways to install programs on your Pocket PC.

The first involves the use of a PC. Generally, your Pocket PC is kept synchronised with your PC using an application known as Microsoft ActiveSync. Within ActiveSync is an Add/Remove Programs tool that lets you um... add and remove programs. ;) In that interface, details such as programs available for installation and space available on the device are listed there. Websites typically release their programs as desktop installers (meaning it usually has the EXE file extension). You should run these on the PC, and ActiveSync will automate the installation process by feeding the relevant program files to your Pocket PC -- and yes, you can specify whether you want to install it in main memory, built-in storage, or a memory card.

The second way to install a program is locally on a Pocket PC. Sometimes, companies release their programs as CAB installers. Here, you typically copy the CAB file over to your Pocket PC, and then open File Explorer (on the Pocket PC), and tap on the CAB file to install it. The new Windows Mobile 5.0 lets you specify the target for installation, but it doesn't let you choose the folder path. A killer app which lets you do that though is CabInstl. But it seems you're just getting started, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Of course, there are exceptions to the aforementioned, but it's not something to toss and turn over.

Also, it's worth noting that devices with Windows Mobile 5.0 use ROM for storage and RAM for program execution. So let's say you went and bought the Axim X51v, you'd have plenty of room to install programs since the device has 256MB ROM. The 64MB RAM you would use to run programs -- similar to how current PCs manage memory. Also, if you wish to install a program on a storage card, you're welcome to do so (provided the program supports it). Typically, start-up applications and Today plugins will react more kindly if installed on the device, rather than a removable storage card (since the storage card tends to initialise post-startup).

I was wondering, can you install programs onto the little SD and flash cards? I just dont know how pocket PC's work to that capacity... If someone could give a link to a site that explains how it all works, that woudl be cool.

You sure can. What I detailed above should be a good guide.

The reason why I ask is, if you install a program onto an SD card (if thats even possible), then what happens when you swap it out for another SD card or something like that? Would it just keep looking for the needed files until it gives up?

Yes, if you attempt to load a program from an SD card without that particular SD card being present, then it will tell you that it can't find the files, and obviously, the program won't load.

roboedar
10-17-2005, 11:19 AM
thanks for the warm welcome :) i appreciate you taking out the time to write out an entire encyclopedia volume on PPCs! lol

Juice_22
10-17-2005, 10:34 PM
I've been wondering if its possible to make an image of an SD card. That way I can have 2 SD cards wit the same programs. This way I can use one SD card, use the files and programs I need, then simply swap it out with another card to run the same program but a different file. Is it possible to create an image of an existing SD card? I've already copied the cards but that didn't work. That's way I wonder if an image would work. Or if it even possible.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-18-2005, 02:10 AM
Can you tell us why it didn't work - as in what error messages you're getting?

Darius Wey
10-18-2005, 03:02 AM
I've been wondering if its possible to make an image of an SD card. That way I can have 2 SD cards wit the same programs. This way I can use one SD card, use the files and programs I need, then simply swap it out with another card to run the same program but a different file. Is it possible to create an image of an existing SD card? I've already copied the cards but that didn't work. That's way I wonder if an image would work. Or if it even possible.

Try Spb Clone. (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/clone/?en) It's a perfect solution for making images of your storage cards.

Juice_22
10-18-2005, 03:29 AM
Once i copied the files and folders. The PDA would not open the program saying that it could not be found. I'm gonna give Spb Clone a try thanks for the suggestion Darius Wey.

Fishie
10-18-2005, 05:32 AM
First of all, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts. No question is too "dumb", so feel free to ask whatever you wish.

When I hit myself with a mallet it hurts.
What can be done against that, does it involve anything edible and will it fit in my romstore?

Darius Wey
10-18-2005, 09:11 AM

When I hit myself with a mallet it hurts.
What can be done against that, does it involve anything edible and will it fit in my romstore?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol :razz:

Fishie
10-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Hmmmm, doesnt fit in my romstore.
Thanks anyway.