View Full Version : Disappearing com ports?

ctmagnus
10-17-2005, 04:33 AM
Has anyone seen this issue? A com port disappears from ActiveSync? Everything else on the system is fine, but the virtual com port I use with BT ActiveSync has gone awol. The com ports still show up in Bluetooth devices, just not in ActiveSync.

:confused totally:

Darius Wey
10-17-2005, 09:57 AM
It's those numbers in your sig. You know they're bad luck, and now you're paying the price for it. ;)

Okay, all jokes aside -- are you referring to the list of COM ports available in Connection Settings? I've only ever seen it disappear when it's in use, so ensure the COM port you use for Bluetooth synchronisation is not being shared with any other services. Also, how often does it happen? Perhaps a quick restart will solve the problem.

PetiteFlower
10-17-2005, 08:54 PM
It's those numbers in your sig. You know they're bad luck, and now you're paying the price for it. ;)

HAHAHAHA Thanks Darius, I needed that!

ctmagnus
10-17-2005, 09:14 PM

:lol:

are you referring to the list of COM ports available in Connection Settings?

Yes.

I've only ever seen it disappear when it's in use, so ensure the COM port you use for Bluetooth synchronisation is not being shared with any other services.

Just BT ActiveSync.

Question: When syncing two devices via BT ActiveSync, they can both use the same com port? No ports need to be added for the second device?

Also, how often does it happen? Perhaps a quick restart will solve the problem.

Fairly often since I got the BT module installed in my Tablet PC.

But since my initial post, it occured to me that the system hadn't been actually shut down since the module was installed, it had only been hibernated, so I did a full shutdown last night and left it that way overnight, just to make sure that all software and hardware changes I made are actually registering with the system.

Also, I can actually see the Ports section in Device Manager now; that wasn't there before I did the full shutdown. I'm thinking that I just needed to do the full reboot. :duh:

ctmagnus
10-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Update:

This is what happens when the com port goes awol:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/3482/BT%20Error_Devman.PNG

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/3482/BT%20Error_AS.PNG

Device manager still acknowledges the existence of the com ports, but ActiveSync doesn't.

:confused totally:

Maybe if I uninstall/reinstall AS? The hardware was installed after AS, after all.

Darius Wey
10-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Question: When syncing two devices via BT ActiveSync, they can both use the same com port? No ports need to be added for the second device?

No, you shouldn't need to add another one. As long as you have one specified for Incoming, it should work fine.

Maybe if I uninstall/reinstall AS? The hardware was installed after AS, after all.

Perhaps. I can freely acknowledge that ActiveSync is a real PITA sometimes that even an uninstall and reinstall may solve the problem. Give that a go and let us know of the progress. :)

ctmagnus
10-19-2005, 04:04 AM
Ok, ActiveSync doesn't seem to be the problem. I can open up Device Manager and everything's fine, I put the machine into standby and resume it and when everything's finished reloading and refreshing, there's the yellow exclamation mark on the device in Device Manager. So it's power management-related.

Darius Wey
10-19-2005, 05:22 AM
Ok, ActiveSync doesn't seem to be the problem.

For what it's worth, I have an ActiveSync problem. The darn thing doesn't even load anymore, thanks to an October Windows security update. :roll:

ctmagnus
10-20-2005, 06:58 AM
I installed the latest Toshiba Bluetooth stack and I don't seem to have that problem anymore. However, now ActiveSync complains every time I disconnect a device. :roll: (If I leave the dialog box it pops up alone and reconnect a device, the dialog goes away, though. I really do not want to spend another really long period of time uninstalling and reinstalling to correst this.) And I predict that getting my Pocket PC to work with the ActiveSync BT profile and the Toshiba stack will be interesting, to say the least. No apparant com ports in Device Manager anymore, and sparse documentation. Whee!

ctmagnus
10-30-2005, 04:03 AM
YES!!!!!

I fixed it! I can initiate a Bluetooth ActiveSync from the Pocket PC, even after resuming the Tablet from hibernation! The solution? Use the European drivers, rather than the North American ones.

Those Europeans are so advanced ;)