View Full Version : C Ya, U R Dumped - SMS Used To End Relationships

Ed Hansberry
10-14-2005, 11:00 PM
<a href="http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/14/051014141926.agg8eqpm.html">http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/14/051014141926.agg8eqpm.html</a><br /><br /><i>"Breaking up is supposed to be hard to do, but young Australian couples have found an easy solution - send a text message and move on."</i><br /><br />That is <i><b>so</b></i> cold. At least have the decency to sit down and compose a legible email. :wink: The report suggests people use any means other than talking when it comes to negative feelings or emotions. I may do annual reviews that way this year. "Hey, ur work sux. No raise 4u." :lol:

David Johnston
10-15-2005, 01:22 AM
Bah. It's not new! I've been dumped by SMS twice: once 8 months ago, and once just over 5 YEARS ago.

Doesn't make it any nicer though.

Jon Westfall
10-15-2005, 05:37 AM
I've been dumped by email. Thankfully when that happened I was a lot younger and no one had heard of SMS yet...

Still is cold to do though. I can think of some other messages I wouldn't want to see on my phone screen:

"hon - the baby isnt ur's"
"ur son set fire 2 skewl"
"no need 4 u n e more- u r fired"

Communication is a dying art...

Darius Wey
10-15-2005, 06:38 AM
Umm, is this coming out of my country? I'm not a part of this cohort. Seriously, I'm an outlier. I have decency. ;) :lol:

ricksfiona
10-15-2005, 07:19 AM
I accidentally dumped someone via eMail. She took what I wrote the wrong way... I thought, well now that it's done, might as well leave it. It's TOTALLY cowardly though. Never again.

thenikjones2
10-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Still is cold to do though. I can think of some other messages I wouldn't want to see on my phone screen:

When you're single like me, "hon - the baby is ur's" would be just as bad...

felixdd
10-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Umm, is this coming out of my country? I'm not a part of this cohort. Seriously, I'm an outlier. I have decency. ;) :lol:

Continent!! :p

stevelam
10-15-2005, 12:34 PM
I can just see it now:

The Year is 2050

Breaking news.....

In a shocking twist of evolutionary fate today a child has been born without a mouth. It is thought that the child will communicate entirly by SMS and E-mail.

This is Reporter 75 for Earth News and now back to the studio.

PS This post was not intended to offend any body that may either, be born with a condition that means they do not have a mouth, or any one that cannot speak.

PDANEWBIE
10-15-2005, 03:31 PM
I accidentally dumped someone via eMail.

Hrm thats a story I am intrigued with because I still have to wonder about these email "accidents" that people seem to have.

In all though I have to say this is right on par with all of the studies that are going on. They just released a study of how many people are "rude" and everything was in the 70%+ range ranging from profanity in public to unrepectful use of the cell phone and so fourth.

All I have to say is, come on people this world isn't entirely about personal gratification you do have to share it with others.

Besides I always found it was better to be a man and break up face to face than it was to hide behind a monitor or a messaging service. Of course with my wife I am hoping that I never see the light of this SMS breakup phenominon.

moaske
10-16-2005, 07:43 PM

When you're single like me, "hon - the baby is ur's" would be just as bad...
Muhahahaha... :mrgreen:
I know that fear too... :wink: Had this message once, something like: "eh...babe, seems i'm overdue..."

Anyway, about the breaking up thing: i once withnessed a break up by phone by a friend of mine. I sure wasn't pretty, but he should have had the guts to face her in person... Her reaction later to me was exactly like Ed's: "that was just so cold!".
Personally i've never even thought about doing this, i've always had the decency to tell her in person, although that's the hardest way. But for anyone you've been with for a while, that would be the least they deserve ! :roll:[/b]

Zidane
10-17-2005, 12:08 AM
I actually tried dumping someone via email because she wouldn't let me do it in person. Each time I tried, she would change the subject or would start crying about something in an attempt to keep me from dumping her (she knew what I was doing). Even after I sent the email, she still didn't leave me alone. She even had the nerve to get mad at me for trying to dump her via email despite the fact that I had dumped her at least three or four times in person.

I felt a lot like George Costanza from Seinfeld when he tried to dump a girl and she told him that she wasn't giving up on the relationship, so he couldn't dump her. I ended up having to call the police to get rid of her (she was mentally unstable, which is why I was dumping her in the first place).

So, sometimes it may be justifiable to dump someone via email, if you're left with no other alternatives (or if you're in fear of your life!).