View Full Version : How to use GPS settings with Windows mobile 2005 on hx2750?

indiekiduk
10-13-2005, 01:15 PM
I just upgraded to WM2005 and was wondering if anyone has got the GPS app in settings to work. I read that it was removed from other WM2005 devices cause it didnt work so I was suprised to see it on the hx2750. I've no idea how to get it working tho, ive tried picking a few ports and resetting but doesnt seem to do the port sharing thing at all. Anyone been looking into this?

OneAngryDwarf
10-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Its in the Axim x51v too and I can't get my GPS to work at all... i'm starting to get upset. I can get the Bluetooth settings thing to connect to it and all but my programs won't access it.

OneAngryDwarf
10-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Want to correct myself... I actually got it working now and even though its a pain in the butt in the beginning to figure out it will be an improvement. I used to always have to choose what bluetooth device to connect to when my GPS software started up and often times had to do it 2-3 times (why i have no idea) but w/ the new system, it takes care of all that so you don't have to. The autodetect option in the GPS software doesn't work though but now that its all setup it doesn't matter. Anyway this is how you set it up.
Find your GPS device manual. If its a bluetooth GPS, partner it in the Bluetooth settings and use serial ports with it. After that, click on the 3rd tab in bluetooth and choose new outgoing port. This is where the GPS manual comes into play. Choose the port that the manual says to use (at least i think this matters but i'm not entirely sure).
If you don't have a bluetooth gps or you finished the above, go to the WM5 built in GPS thing in settings. Go to the hardware tab and choose the port that your manual tells you to use and/or the one you just assigned as the incoming port. You must also choose the baud rate that your manual designates (this is important and must be correct to work). After that click on the Programs tab and just choose a port other than the one you just used. In the access tab, check the only option there (not sure if it matters or not). What you have done is given WM5 the information on how to connect to your GPS and then made up a dummy port in the programs tab which you will now use in your GPS software.
Now in your GPS software set the COM port to the one you set in the programs tab and choose the same baud rate that you looked up before. Now your program will request to communicate with the GPS which triggers the WM5 GPS app to initiate communication. Everything should work now.
drop me an email if something in this doesn't make sense.
badeen @ creighton . edu