View Full Version : GPS with Audiovox 6600.

cardinalsfan
10-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Or any WM2003 pocket PC. Pretty simple newbie question so I apologize for my ignorance.. Will it work first off and what exactly do I need to make it work. Will Tom Tom work on my device? How much memory will I need? Thanks in advance for any replies.

wirelesscop
10-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Hey there...

Basically what you will need to get a GPS setup working on your xv6600 is:

1. A GPS device

and

2. GPS software

I can tell you what "I" have and about "MY" experiences thus far...

I have the xv6600 as well. I purchased a (GPS) GlobalSat BT-338 receiver and the iGuidance (GPS Software) for my device.

To say that I am more than happy with it would be an understatement.

It simply rocks!

THe receiver that I mentioned is Bluetooth. It pairs up with the xv6600's Bluetooth in a matter of seconds. Once the software is installed (takes a few minutes) and the xv6600 and GPS receiver are paired, you are all ready to go. You just follow the "dummy-proof" menu that the software provides and you are all set.

As far as memory size...that all depends on what map data you want to store.

When you install the iGuidance (and I assume any other brand of GPS software), you get a screen that appears and asks you what state maps you want to load onto your pocket pc. Depending on how big each state is, dictates how much memory you will need. For instance...I have Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey maps all saved on a (1GB) SD card. All you need to do is pop the card in the xv6600, open the GPS program and it will seamlessly use the maps as you travel. Say you were in NJ and travelled into Delaware... The software ties all the adjoining maps / states together. It's pretty cool.

As I said, I can only speak of what I have and use. I think for the money, iGuidance is an EXCELLENT deal. I hear that Tom Tom is also excellent. It's all up to the user. It's all about individual user preference. Some programs have more bells and whistles on them. I was looking for something that had a nice clear and concise navagational voice as well as a really easy interface. That's exactly what I got. But different strokes for different folks. There are a handfull of top-rated GPS software and GPS devices out there for you to look at.

In reference to the GPS device... I picked the GlobalSat because it has a SIRF III chip and is WAAS capable. If you aren't sure what that all means, I would do a quick search on Google.com or something like that. Basically, the GlobalSat is one of the BEST for the money. Guaranteed! I did a LOT of shopping around and the bundle of the GPS device I got and the software is one of the best bargains around.

Here's some links you might want to check out to get some more info:

http://www.gpspassion.com (Good Forum to ask questions about GPS).

http://www.buygpsnow.com (AWESOME site...this is where I got my bundle of GPS device and software.

Lastly, there is: http://www.semsons.com

When I bought my GPS bundle at buygpsnow.com, I also got a FREE Akron vent mount for my xv6600. It's a $20.00 value thrown in! I think a lot of places throw them in as a perk. It's a GREAT mount too!

Take a look around and see what fits your needs best.

Hope this all helps...

-Wirelesscop

cardinalsfan
10-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks much.. that is exaclty what I needed to get me going with this. Looking things over right now.

Actually I do have one more question.. can that receiver be hidden in the car somewhere or do you need to have it out. Once I turn bluetooth on will it just pick up the receiver and I won't have to hit buttons on the receiver or do you need to hit something (not sure if the receivers have a power button orwhat) on teh receiver to make it work each time. Also as far as charging.. would it be ok to just leave it plugged into a car charger permanently?

wirelesscop
10-14-2005, 01:55 PM
From what I understand, you can place the receiver pretty much anywhere in the car. In a glove box, under a seat, etc. However...you will get the BEST results / reception of the sats that it's picking up...if you place it in a clear view of the sky. I always have mine sitting on the dash. It's so small, you won't even notice it's there.

In order to initilize it (get it to work), all you do is:

1. Turn on the Pocket PC (and turn on BT if it's off)
2. Press the power button on the GPS device (if it's powered off)
3. Open the GPS program
4. When you open the GPS program, it will recognize that there is a BT device in the area and it will open a screen that has the BT devices it detects and / or that have been saved in the pocket pc's memory in the past. All you do is tell the program what device you want to use. All that's involved in doing so is placing a check in a box. Then you press an OK button and the GPS program opens up and tell it what you want to do.

That's it!

It's like a (10) second process from start to finish and you are up and running.

That particular GPS device has an auto off feature if say you turn the pocket pc off. However if the pocket pc and GPS device are talking to each other (bluetooth is active on both), then the GPS device will stay on.

As far as charging...yes, you an leave both the pocket pc and GPS device plugged into a cig cord if you want... But...the GPS device will last something like 15+ hours on a single charge. So you really don't need to keep it plugged in unless of course you are really travelling far.

I always try to keep the xv6600 plugged in all the time as it's a power-hungry device. Plus I am always multi-tasking (Internet searches, streaming music, email...etc, all at the same time) w/ the thing and working the battery.

Hope that helps.