View Full Version : Looking for Memo Application

mll1013
10-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Does anyone have a good memo app that they like to use... I simply refuse to believe that the built-in Notes app is as good as it gets. I don't need anything incredibly feature-rich, but categorization would be nice, as well as a clean interface (the fonts are so huge in the memo listing that you can't see more than 12-15 characters of a memo's name!

For example, I love Palm's memo app... it's clean, readible, intuitive.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Sven Johannsen
10-12-2005, 07:59 PM
PhatNotes?
http://www.phatware.com/phatnotes/index.html

mll1013
10-13-2005, 04:33 PM
So, I have to pay extra money for a feature which is standard on Palm? I'm absolutely horrified that MS couldn't at least get me a useful built-in memo application.

I know that PalmOS is losing ground in the PDA space because there is only a single hardware source in PalmOne, and the quality of the units I've had from PalmOne has been aweful... which is why I was hoping to have a more pleasant experience with the PPC platform. So far, it is leaving a bad taste in my mouth as well.

So... my choices are stick with crappy H/W (Palm) or move to crappy S/W (PPC) or upgrade the crappy S/W by paying out the nose to load up the unit with gobs of useful 3rd party apps. What lousy choices I have to make. :cry:

ljclark
12-07-2005, 02:55 PM
I made the switch to PPC this fall after years of Palm. The problem was that that Palm seemed to be falling behind on applications and there seemed to be more problems getting applications installed and working with the newer platforms (I have a T3 and a T5 still kicking around).

Two years ago I had an iPAQ for about half a day until I discovered that the PPC Outlook wasn't really compatible with the desktop Outlook -- no smoothe way to do folders in contacts.

When that got solved (3rd party software) I switched and was surprised to find that the Notes functionality was also crippled in the PC-PPC world.

PhatNotes is what I bought and it works fine. You have to make sure you set things up, but it is actually a little nicer than the PC Outlook notes.

Face it...You're going to need to pony up some money, learn to install software someplace other than main memory, and a few other things, but I'm glad I made the switch.

AKAJohnDoe
12-17-2005, 12:55 AM
I'm quite happy with the applet, PIAlarmNotes, that comes with PocketInformant. I set the third hard button to invoke it.

Much like I appreciated DATEBK5 (and DATEBK3 and DATEBK4 before that) on Palm, I appreciate PI on PPC.