View Full Version : ActiveSync: Hardly discreet

MleB
10-12-2005, 03:15 PM
I suppose there must be a perfectly good reason (or a control feature I'm missing) why ActiveSync - in my case, 3.8 - doesn't operate quietly and discreetly from the System taskbar or conversely, doesn't live there when minimized? I mean, aside from Microsoft just being too cheap and lazy to build this into the program...

HotSync with my old Palm lived happily in the Taskbar with full access to it and its settings from there. A HotSync, when requested, was done with a minimum of fuss and I wasn't left staring at the program after it had finished. Insofar as the default setting for ActiveSync is to be continuously running, doesn't it make sense to do so in the background?

Just asking? Maybe in ActiveSync 4? no? 5, perhaps?

Janak Parekh
10-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Go into Options => Rules and uncheck "Open ActiveSync when my mobile device connects." at the very bottom. Sounds like that should accomplish what you want.

--janak

MleB
10-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Janak,

But doesn't that just prevent ActiveSync from running until I start it again? Once started, the user is left with the original problem - it's left stuck on the screen and once done, it doesn't close down/minimize on it's own to the system taskbar ready for the next sync.

And doing this, doesn't that defeat the purpose behind the 'continuous' connection?

Thanks for the idea though.

~ MleB ~

Janak Parekh
10-13-2005, 12:29 AM
But doesn't that just prevent ActiveSync from running until I start it again?
I don't think so. I haven't tried the option in forever, but since ActiveSync doesn't even have an exit option, I think it just refers to the window popping up.

--janak

MleB
10-13-2005, 12:39 AM
Ummm, isn't 'X' the exit option?

Janak Parekh
10-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Ummm, isn't 'X' the exit option?
No. ActiveSync remains in the tray when you close the window. The only way to shut down ActiveSync is to kill the processes (WCESCOMM and WCESMGR, IIRC) in Task Manager, or use a third-party tool which does largely the same thing.

If you haven't already, give it a try and see if it does what you need. I remember turning it off a long time ago, but I haven't tried recently...

--janak

MleB
10-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Ah, noted - thanks!

So one assumes that it is still syncing (if in Options, I've left the default, 'continuous') while minimized to the System Taskbar?

I guess the next step (again referring to my experience with HotSync and noting no setting in ActiveSync) is there a way to get ActiveSync to get it to start minmized but active from boot? Could this be done by installing it in the Start > Programs > Startup folder, or would that simply do what is already done if the PDA is connected - that is, start up the program in full view and require the user to mimimize it?

Then again, maybe in combination with the Rules > Open ActiveSync when device connects...

Oh, I'm so confused.

;)

Steven Cedrone
10-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Activesync should already automatically start when windows is restarted, and unchecking "Open Activesync" in rules should keep it minimized. I just tried it, I rebooted my machine. Activesync was greyed out in the sys tray. I connected my Pocket PC and sync started and remained minimized. HTH!

MleB
10-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Well, thanks. I'll give all this a go.

Pity ActiveSync could not be clearer with some of these settings - but then, we are talking Microsoft product here.

Now that I'm able to sync as expected, I'm only left to make Outlook 2002 (as still included with new PDAs) even vaguely as useful and intuitive as the Palm Desktop and the VersaMail conduit.

Aargh!

Janak Parekh
10-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Now that I'm able to sync as expected, I'm only left to make Outlook 2002 (as still included with new PDAs) even vaguely as useful and intuitive as the Palm Desktop and the VersaMail conduit.
Yeah, Microsoft decided on this as a matter of policy. There's no easy workaround short of either getting a 3rd-party sync tool or buying a newer Office/Outlook. Actually... it's useful, just not as intuitive.

--janak

MleB
10-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah, Microsoft decided on this as a matter of policy. There's no easy workaround short of either getting a 3rd-party sync tool or buying a newer Office/Outlook. Actually... it's useful, just not as intuitive.

Microsoft decided that as a matter of policy to include an old, bloated, ugly and non-intuitive PIM as their portal to their Pocket OS - even WinMobile 5? I see...

Outlook 2002 (as bundled with WinMobile) is clunky and much of its bloat seems tied to the premise that users are corporate users. MS needs to look at who is really buying these PDAs (and even in 2002, most of the corporate types I knew were buying Palm and using that PIM) and design the interface accordingly - even if that means the option for users of installing a Home or Pro version PIM. I daresay most modern PDA users need a tiny portion of Outlook for accessing, editing and backing up the information on their PDA.

If Microsoft wants to endear its PDA OS to users, it needs to create a portal that is attractive and pleasure to use. If that is not going to be a Microsoft policy, then ActiveSync needs to be able to access other PIM and email. All PIMS are equal, but some PIMs are more equal than others.

;)

As it happens, replacing the 3 year old 2002 with the two year old 2003 Outlook does not appear to be either easy or economical here in Canada. It appears that MS Canada does not sell Outlook 2003 as a standalone or upgrade product, while the justification for forking over substantial cash for a new Office (when I all I really need is about 20% of Word capabilities) seems foolish and only guarantees added bloat.

If it is MS poilicy to be awkward, cheap and lazy, then maybe I need to look at replacing ActiveSync and Outlook by the cheaper alternative of IntelliSync and more contemporary and friendly PIMs and email clients - many already present.

Sven Johannsen
10-14-2005, 03:45 PM
[quoteIf it is MS poilicy to be awkward, cheap and lazy, then maybe I need to look at replacing ActiveSync and Outlook by the cheaper alternative of IntelliSync and more contemporary and friendly PIMs and email clients - many already present.
Just so you know, you can't replace ActiveSync. IntelliSync and the others all use the AS conduit to do the actual transfer.

BTW
[It appears that MS Canada does not sell Outlook 2003 as a standalone or upgrade product.
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AZJVF/qid=1129309468/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/701-1316535-4172322

Janak Parekh
10-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Microsoft decided that as a matter of policy to include an old, bloated, ugly and non-intuitive PIM as their portal to their Pocket OS - even WinMobile 5? I see...
In Outlook's defense, it's not quite as bad as you say. Outlook 2003 is nicer, but not revolutionarily so -- from a UI standpoint, it's mostly the same, just a few new tweaks. Perhaps 2003's most important new features include Cached Exchange mode, RPC-over-HTTP, and search folders, and none of them have to do with PIM functionality for most users. In fact, over the years, I've heard relatively few complaints about Outlook.

Hopefully MS will revisit the policy when Outlook 12 comes out. We'll see.

--janak

MleB
10-14-2005, 06:13 PM
In Outlook's defense, it's not quite as bad as you say. Outlook 2003 is nicer, but not revolutionarily so

In other words, its prettier but just as clunky and counter-intuitive.

Perhaps 2003's most important new features include Cached Exchange mode, RPC-over-HTTP, and search folders, and none of them have to do with PIM functionality for most users. In fact, over the years, I've heard relatively few complaints about Outlook.

So I guess it really is whatever you've gotten used to. Mind you, I tried Outlook 2002 when it first came out (and before I ever had a Palm or their Desktop) and hated it. I ripped it out vowing never to return, little knowing that I'd have to reinstall it years later as required access to a new Pocket PC.

Once I did install Palm Desktop however I did come to appreciate how tidy and efficient it was as a PIM. And the VersaMail conduit worked just fine to access email. They allowed access to the programs built into the PDA, displayed the information in a clear way and made editing the information reasonably simple. There was no additional layer trying to make the PIM act like another product line or incorporating 'business practices' into programs that really didn't need them.

I have so far been able to bypass Outlook's Email by creating an Account to my ISP in the Axim's Messaging (and then I manually sync when in the cradle) or by using webmail wirelessly - and I have gone back to OE for daily stuff.

Hopefully MS will revisit the policy when Outlook 12 comes out. We'll see.

Due out the same time as the next WinOS - late 2006. If we're lucky. Won't be holding my breath there. That's what? One PDA OS and several ActiveSyncs away?

Just so you know, you can't replace ActiveSync. IntelliSync and the others all use the AS conduit to do the actual transfer

Actually, I don't really have a major problem with ActiveSync now that you've helped me there! So if another program uses that to send my information to more useful programs - well that's no great issue.

Thanks again!

MleB

Janak Parekh
10-16-2005, 12:36 AM
So I guess it really is whatever you've gotten used to.
Exactly. I never really cared for Palm Desktop back in the day -- it lacked some key features like multiple categorization and fields in the Address Book. I was happier with Outlook almost immediately. It does have a bit over-complex interface, but once you get used to it, excepting a few things, it stays mostly out of your way.

(Not that I use it now, as I'm syncing with iCal and Address Book on the Mac, which are even minimalistic by Palm Desktop standards. I don't like Entourage, unfortunately, and the integration of iCal and AB into the OS is very nice.)

--janak