View Full Version : Any way to push 1 button and start recording voice as a Task?

Scott716
10-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi -- great forums.

Is there any way to set up one of the buttons on a Pocket PC to immediately start voice recording? Even better, is there a way for the voice recording to be saved as a TASK (rather than a note, by default)?

The reason is that I, like probably many people, would use the Pocket PC instead of my (separate) voice recorder if it were easier to start recording faster.

If not in the included software, are there 3rd party applications that still work from 1 button and then save in the TASKS that are part of Pocket PC software?

Thank you!

Sven Johannsen
10-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Don't know about the tasks thing, but you can press the record button in such a way that it just starts a recording on my Dell Axim. A second press stops the recording. I recall it worked on some other PPC I had as well, so I believe it is an OS feature, though more useful with a dedicated record button. I suppose you could re-assign an available button to record.

It is a bit tricky to tap the record button just right to get this to work. It seems to be just a deliberate press and release. You hear one beep and the recording just starts. Hold it too long and it stops the recording when you release. If you use the recorder a lot, you should pick up the technique quickly. I don't use it at all, except to fill memeory accidentally, so it takes me a try or two to get it right.

On the tasks thing, I'm sure someone could write a little app that starts a task and a recording, and then you assign that to a button, but how would you want the task populated? Subject, start, due, etc all require input. The recording would just sit in the notes section.

Scott716
10-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks - that advice works.

I reprogrammed a button on my HP-2215 to activate Notes.
Then I hold that button and as long as I am holding the button down it records a message.

This creates notes rather than tasks, but I can live with that. It is much easier now to record things.

Thanks for pointing the features out!

Sven Johannsen
10-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Thanks - that advice works.

I reprogrammed a button on my HP-2215 to activate Notes.
Then I hold that button and as long as I am holding the button down it records a message.

This creates notes rather than tasks, but I can live with that. It is much easier now to record things.

Thanks for pointing the features out!

You might play a bit with that button. Certainly you can hold it down to record, but I'd bet you can tap it to start a new recording and tap again to stop. It is touchy as I said, and I'm not sure the 2215 will do it, but you could play a bit.

Stack.Overflow
10-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Ipaq 3900 behaves the same way... But what are Tasks for ?
Consider you need something to built macros...
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42979&highlight=voice2go
Only problem - you can press a button to launch the app, but you should say a command to start note recording...try it anyway...:)

Doitech
10-15-2005, 09:12 AM
THANKS, you have inform me of a very useful technique to start the recording with holding on to it all the time. In the past, i use to wonder why i always have to hold the buttom to continue recording, look like MS has it planned but was not too obvious about let users know about. Could i ask how did you manage to learn it? I would make a point to read all your comments. Thank you again. Robert www.doitech.com

Don't know about the tasks thing, but you can press the record button in such a way that it just starts a recording on my Dell Axim. A second press stops the recording. I recall it worked on some other PPC I had as well, so I believe it is an OS feature, though more useful with a dedicated record button. I suppose you could re-assign an available button to record.

It is a bit tricky to tap the record button just right to get this to work. It seems to be just a deliberate press and release. You hear one beep and the recording just starts. Hold it too long and it stops the recording when you release. If you use the recorder a lot, you should pick up the technique quickly. I don't use it at all, except to fill memeory accidentally, so it takes me a try or two to get it right.

On the tasks thing, I'm sure someone could write a little app that starts a task and a recording, and then you assign that to a button, but how would you want the task populated? Subject, start, due, etc all require input. The recording would just sit in the notes section.

Sven Johannsen
10-17-2005, 02:25 AM
Could i ask how did you manage to learn it? I would make a point to read all your comments. Thank you again. Robert www.doitech.com

Wish I could tell you how I knew that. My best guess is that I read it in a forum just like this, some time ago. Glad it helped though.