View Full Version : Wireless USB -> When?

Typhoon
10-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Does anyone have any idea when we will be able to buy wireless USB?

mscdex
10-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Not sure what you mean but wireless 802.11a/b/g usb adapters have been out for awhile now ;)

applejosh
10-11-2005, 04:55 PM
I think he's referring to the next USB bus.

http://www.deviceforge.com/articles/AT9015145687.html

But I have idea on when it will hit the mainstream.

mscdex
10-11-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't get this. Won't you have to have a "Wireless USB" adapter to communicate with other "Wireless USB" devices? Seems like it'd almost be going in circles.

Also, this seems to mean that existing usb devices won't be able to become "wireless" (no source for power, unless that wireless power thing becomes non-vaporware ;)), so you'd have to buy all new "wireless usb" devices.

IMHO the cons outweigh the pros.

PPCRules
10-11-2005, 07:42 PM
The value in this is true "cable replacement" (unlike Bluetooth which used that terminology early on, but changed a whole bunch of other stuff besides the "cable").

[Ideal] Wireless USB will use all the same drviers and basic protocols that USB devices use now. Think of it as: at each USB connector, things are transmitted over the air, rather than a wire, to the other device. Nothing else has to change. Device suppliers should be able to just tack this on to their already developed product in addition to the wired USB connector.

This is, of course, the theoretical viewpoint.

Typhoon
10-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Yea, that is an interesting thought, but I always use a laptop, so something like this should be pretty useful. But hopefully they make it in the PCMCIA format and not just dongles.