View Full Version : Better web experience.... PDA + Bluetooth phone or smartphone.

rooks308
10-07-2005, 04:29 PM
I am currently considering moving from a 2 device layout that does NOT include web access(on the PDA) to either a 2 device setup IE bluetooth device w/ bluetooth phone, or a combined device such as a Samsung i-730, an HP 6000 series or a Treo (not sure which one atm).

While I don't like the idea of having to keep track of 2 devices battery levels at all times, I wonder how much better a web browsing experience I would get from a seperate Pocket PC device vs a phone model? Is there one?

Also is it typically cheaper, more expensive, or the same cost typically for these configurations.

One note is that I need to stay with my current provider (T-Mobile) so I will only be able to go with GSM options and not CDMA.

yankeejeep
10-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Speaking as a dual-device user, I have to say that though the screen size differences do not seem to be significant (4" to 3.7" or 3.7" to 3.5"), I find the viewing experience reduces with display size. Each of these changes is roughly 10%. If you are looking at a converged device (WM Phone Edition or WM5), it will be fairly easy to find 3.5" display. While larger than a smartphone, it is still smaller than can be readily found in a PPC (where there may be few 4" choices but 3.7" options are many).

T-Mobile should be able to give you plans that seem to fit your usage under either scenario. In my case with Verizon, I found that connecting through my standard phone plan suited my usage patterns - primarily interested in weekend use when away from the office when I have unlimited minutes and my phone can log me onto the National Access network. Using Venturi software, this has given me acceptable performance (a little faster than 56k dial-up via a land line) without the added expense of purchasing a Broadband Access plan. I connect PPC to phone by bluetooth, so it relatively painless and I get to have the 4" VGA display of my Toshiba to make the browsing experience bearable. There is no converged device or smartphone that can offer me that display.