View Full Version : PTVL gone?

Steven Cedrone
10-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Anyone else notice that ThumbsUpSoft seems to have dissappeared?

VanHlebar
10-05-2005, 02:49 PM
It is ironic that this was here, as I was just coming to the forums to see if anyone else saw this. I have been using PVTL for a few years now and when I tried to update my listings yesterday I received errors and nothing was downloaded.

In addition, for the past few months I haven't been able to access their webpage or forums to ask questions.

This is sad as I really did like the product, but Mike was always very slow when it came to support issues. He did say back when VGA devices came out that he would not be supporting them as it was just too much work to redo the app and I am guessing that with WM5 coming out now, he may have decided to just pack it in. :(

So, are there any good alternatives to PTVL out there that we can use? Mainly I am looking for something that I can view the TV listings for my cable shows and also something that allows me to click on a show and create a reminder in my calendar.

-Eric

Steven Cedrone
10-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Yeh, I was a paying customer for years. When he started to give it away I feared the end was near. Maybe we are at the end... :cry:

buzzard
10-05-2005, 03:58 PM
My PTVL weblink on my PC still updates although it gives me an error message when it starts. I just click OK and it continues to update and when I look at the PC version of the listings, they are up to date. I have been trying to download their application to my PPC following a hard reset but their site download hasn't been working. When I look through their forum, there are a couple of comments about the error message but nothing else.

VanHlebar
10-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Buzzard,

where are you going to get to their site? I can't get to the site as it says it can't find the domain name. When I was trying to goto the forums all I got was some php code :)

I am currently trying out PTVL now to see if it works the same. The only issue I see with it right now is that you have to pay $10 for the listings each year form the service provider :(

-Eric

VanHlebar
10-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Well I have been playing around with PTVL and I must say I am not impressed. I use this software on my Samsung i730 and there is just no easy way to use it one handed. Setting of reminders is not very intuitive and it doesn't allow you to add a category to the reminder.

Well I am going to give it a whirl for the next week or so and see how it goes. :(

-Eric

buzzard
10-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Buzzard,

where are you going to get to their site? I can't get to the site as it says it can't find the domain name. When I was trying to goto the forums all I got was some php code :)

I am currently trying out PTVL now to see if it works the same. The only issue I see with it right now is that you have to pay $10 for the listings each year form the service provider :(

-Eric
The site is http://ptvl.thumbsupsoft.com/ but if you want to go to the forum site it's http://labs.zap2it.com/ztvws/ztvws_login/1,1059,TMS01-1,00.html although you have to join (username / password) in order to get to the forum. There isn't any cost for PTVL, if I recall there used to be but it is now free. For some reason they make it free for 3 months and then you have to sign up again for the next three months. I don't understand why but if it's free, I don't care why.

VanHlebar
10-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Ok so I have been playing around with the PTVL app most of the day now. I have figuured out how to add a category to the reminders and the favorites feature for both channels and shows is great.

In addition to that, the program gives a much more detailed description of the shows than PVTL did. I am going to keep playing around with this but I am really starting to like it. :) I would suggest to anyone that was using PVTL to give this a try. It isn't free but since it does appear to work and PVTL does not seem to work anymore it may be a good alternative.

-Eric

buzzard
10-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Ok so I have been playing around with the PTVL app most of the day now. I have figuured out how to add a category to the reminders and the favorites feature for both channels and shows is great.

In addition to that, the program gives a much more detailed description of the shows than PVTL did. I am going to keep playing around with this but I am really starting to like it. :) I would suggest to anyone that was using PVTL to give this a try. It isn't free but since it does appear to work and PVTL does not seem to work anymore it may be a good alternative.

-Eric
8O There are two apps PTVL and PVTL ?

Steven Cedrone
10-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Well, let me clarify: PTVL still works, it still downloads from the zap2it site. It's just that I get the error when it checks for a new version and the entire Thumbsupsoft domain appears to be MIA...

VanHlebar
10-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Steve,

How are you getting it to work. When I run Weblink, I get an error when it tries to look for a new version and then when I click ok Weblink shutsdown and does not download from zap2it. :( That is the reason I started looking at the other app..

-Eric

natecorbitt
10-07-2005, 03:57 AM

-Eric

Where are you getting the PTVL app from? I can't even get on the site to download it. Also, what is/was PVTL?

Steven Cedrone
10-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Steve,

How are you getting it to work. When I run Weblink, I get an error when it tries to look for a new version and then when I click ok Weblink shutsdown and does not download from zap2it. :( That is the reason I started looking at the other app..

-Eric

Make sure your zap2it subscription is up to date! I didn't have to do anything as it was always still downloading. I just posted when I noticed the error and the inability to get to the Thumbsupsoft web site.

disconnected
10-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I get the error message when it looks for a new version, but it still works okay. I guess it will be fine until it really needs to be updated. Has anyone used it with WM5?

applejosh
10-08-2005, 03:44 AM
Didn't this happen a few months ago, too? I thought the domain disappeared for a few days or a week and then came back.

Steven Cedrone
10-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Didn't this happen a few months ago, too? I thought the domain disappeared for a few days or a week and then came back.

Yes, it did! But when it happens I wonder if this is truly "the end"...

natecorbitt
10-08-2005, 02:34 PM

Yes, it did! But when it happens I wonder if this is truly "the end"...

FYI - The site is back up and running. I just tried it and was finally able to download the program.

Steven Cedrone
10-08-2005, 11:04 PM
FYI - The site is back up and running. I just tried it and was finally able to download the program.

Yes!!! :wink: The forums are still down though(as are other parts of the site). They must have had some serious problems. Glad they are coming back up though!!!

natecorbitt
10-09-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure how to fix this, but when I check the listings on PTVL, the channels don't seem to be in any order. Is there any way to put them in numerical order?

disconnected
10-10-2005, 03:15 AM
I think when you add channels, they always get added at the end. There's a "sort" button in Listings/setup/channels.

natecorbitt
10-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the info.

doughboy
01-13-2006, 09:23 PM
WOW! I must say this is one of, if not, THE best piece of freeware I have seen (Pocket MVP comes close). The generosity of the PPC community never ceases to amaze me. I just discovered this program and have only synced the info. once, but all went quite smoothly. Everything installed onto my SD Card, which is great, and it is quite customizable and flexible.

I am wondering whether anyone has discovered other good sources of skins for it other than the Thumbsoft website. Also, in Weblink if you do not check the 2nd checkbox ("Synchronize automatically when minimized") but do check the 1st checkbox ("Sync periodically"), will Weblink sync periodically when closed?