View Full Version : Question re: syncing with Exchange server

bigkingfun
10-04-2005, 12:49 AM
I recently switched my email to a 4Smartphone.net hosted Exchange account and now I can't seem to sync anything with my PC. When I plug my x50v into the cradle, Activesync pops up for a couple of seconds then just disconnects.

Activesync on the Pocket PC shows two entries - one for the server sync and one for the PC sync. That led me to believe it should still sync with my PC for files and things that aren't synced with Exchange. Is this correct?

Am I missing a setting somewhere that would cause it not to sync locally, or can anyone suggest a possible cause?

ajbeard
10-07-2005, 06:07 AM
Hi,

I sync with the excahnge server via 4smartphone as well. When I dock my ipaq it syncs the files etc and the boxes for mail/calendar/contacts are displayed with (sync info on device).

Have you been able to sync with the exchange server correctly by entering all the details and ticking the server box on active sync?

AB

Janak Parekh
10-07-2005, 03:39 PM
As ajbeard implied, it should work just fine. In addition to their suggestion, are you running the latest version of ActiveSync (3.8)?

--janak

bigkingfun
10-07-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm running Activesync 4 and I haven't been able to change any settings in Activesync (on the PC). I changed the Activesync settings on the Pocket PC itself. Is this where I might have gone wrong? When I cradle it now, Activesync pops up for a second or two but then loses the connection, so I'm not able to change any settings there.

I've even tried deleting the partnership to see if it would let me configure it as part of the new device setup, but it still just disconnects after a couple of seconds.

PetiteFlower
10-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Maybe you should try downgrading to 3.8...

Janak Parekh
10-09-2005, 04:49 AM
Maybe you should try downgrading to 3.8...
Indeed, unless you're running a WM5 device don't use ActiveSync 4. The public download is only intended for developers at this time.

--janak

bigkingfun
10-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks to both of you for the downgrading advice. That seems to have solved my problem.

Do I have to run Activesync 4.0 if I upgrade to WM5? I was planning to get the upgrade for my x50v but I won't bother if I'm going to run into this same problem all over again.

Thanks again.

Janak Parekh
10-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Do I have to run Activesync 4.0 if I upgrade to WM5? I was planning to get the upgrade for my x50v but I won't bother if I'm going to run into this same problem all over again.
Yes, ActiveSync 3.x does not have WM5 support. However, I'd assume that Exchange+AS4 will work properly with a WM5 device (although I haven't tried). You may want to watch the boards once the X50v upgrade comes out to see if people are having this problem.

--janak

ipaq_wannabe
10-10-2005, 03:48 PM
just a question - when we have have an exchange server hosted (say, like in 4smartphone.net), does it synch everything PIM with the handheld device (via the desktop)?

as in ALL tasks, ALL calendar entries, ALL address book entries, ALL note entries, and ALL email entries?

thanks in advanced...

Janak Parekh
10-10-2005, 04:57 PM
just a question - when we have have an exchange server hosted (say, like in 4smartphone.net), does it synch everything PIM with the handheld device (via the desktop)?
I'm not sure I understand your question 100%, but here's my shot at it as it stands today:

Exchange ActiveSync lets you, if you want, sync your mail, contacts, and calendar with the server. You can choose which ones you want to do through Exchange. If you choose those, they will no longer sync with a desktop, but rather with the server directly (the desktop AS client will say "see status on device" for those items). If you cradle the device, it might be able to use AS's passthrough connection to connect to the Exchange server, but it's not actually using the regular ActiveSync conduit to exchange the data. You can also sync wirelessly, be it over WiFi or a cellular network. Finally, you can set up SMS-based push updates of all of the three. It does not currently support task or note sync, so you must do those with your desktop; if your desktop Outlook is configured as an Exchange client, then it'll go ahead and grab those two off the server, but only via the desktop conduit.

The Messaging and Security Feature Pack will add "true" non-SMS push and task sync to the above, along with some remote management capabilities.

--janak