View Full Version : Windows Mobile 5 upgrade

cab124
10-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Just wondering if anyone who may have purchased an Axim x50v in the last couple of months has received the upgrade CD to Windows Mobile 5 yet?

Thanks!

rodkar
10-04-2005, 09:40 AM
I emailed the sales who I bought my X50V couple of months ago. She assured me at the time of purchase that the upgrade will be free. Anyway, she replied today that she didn't have a definite timetable because Microsoft has not released the CD yet. Dell caught me with a little surprise with the 256ROM release. So I ordered a x51v today. I will sell my x50v after I receive the WM5 upgrade.

PetiteFlower
10-05-2005, 05:42 AM
Latest news is that the upgrade CDs will ship on 10/15.

Patrick Y.
10-06-2005, 01:47 AM
Was it my thread that you saw? :P

PetiteFlower
10-06-2005, 04:33 AM
Yep.

I think I'm gonna wait a bit to install it though. Let the software catch up a bit :)

Patrick Y.
10-06-2005, 05:44 AM
Yep.

I think I'm gonna wait a bit to install it though. Let the software catch up a bit :)

I'm quite worry about the freewares though... Making software to officially support requires lots of work for the developers and $$$. :cry:

Sven Johannsen
10-06-2005, 03:55 PM
I emailed the sales who I bought my X50V couple of months ago. She assured me at the time of purchase that the upgrade will be free. Anyway, she replied today that she didn't have a definite timetable because Microsoft has not released the CD yet.

That's BS, or at least a misinformed service rep. The WM5 bits were released to OEMs in May, well before Dell announced plans to upgrade X50s. The hold up is Dell. MS doesn't release the CDs.

Patrick Y.
10-06-2005, 11:52 PM
I emailed the sales who I bought my X50V couple of months ago. She assured me at the time of purchase that the upgrade will be free. Anyway, she replied today that she didn't have a definite timetable because Microsoft has not released the CD yet.

That's BS, or at least a misinformed service rep. The WM5 bits were released to OEMs in May, well before Dell announced plans to upgrade X50s. The hold up is Dell. MS doesn't release the CDs.

That happens a lot. I chat with a regarding the release date of WM 5 CD and the person keep telling me to contact technical department for the installation while I'm asking about the release date. :roll:

Stake
10-12-2005, 02:44 AM
I pre-ordered my upgrade and was called saying the software has been delayed and will be cancelled if I don't call. OK.

I called the same day that they called me and talked to a offshore rep whom I thought understood what I was trying to do. Fine.

Then yesterday, I checked the status on the order online and what do you know...the order was cancelled.

I hate to rant but Dell's customer service really deserves the worst rating of any PC manufactuer of every kind. Ever since they offshored their CS, it's been getting worse and worse. I had issues when I ordered my x50v last Nov. It really hurts Dell's rep and I may just dump Dell as an option in the future no matter how great their product is. Anyway, this is my experience with this. I'll just wait until the disc is weeks into shipping instead of pre-ordering. It may get just cancelled again.

:bad-words:

MleB
10-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Noting the above, I contacted Dell Canada's Customer Support and I've since had an email back saying they weren't going to get the CDs until 18 October and that they'd be sent out then. They confirmed my Axim X50 purchase included the 'free' CD.

DarkHelmet
10-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Placed order today (10/19/05 - 1717 PM EST)

This is what you get:

Estimated shipping date: On or before Wednesday, November 30, 2005

This is from the confirmation email - the website still says 1-2 weeks.

Blech!

PetiteFlower
10-20-2005, 04:48 AM
I wouldn't pay any attention to that. They always overestimate shipping times by a ridiculous amount. Just wait, I'm sure it will ship within a week.

AKAJohnDoe
10-23-2005, 03:58 AM

Should be here by tomorrow then (10/23), right?

miterb
10-24-2005, 02:03 PM

Should be here by tomorrow then (10/23), right?

I suspect it is going to be delayed into November. With X51v's already in the field I would hope they are trying to pack as many fixes into the X50v upgrade as they can before releasing it. One deficiency is the Bluetooth support. Why compound problems by giving hundred's of X50v users the upgrade if it will only mean support calls. Better to hold us off a bit longer.

Brad

PetiteFlower
10-25-2005, 03:51 AM
I'm not in a particular hurry, I want more of the programs I use to be supported first :)

joefuture
10-26-2005, 05:28 PM
I read somewhere that Dell's margins are so thin that 1 support call for a Dell purchase basically erodes all the profit they got from that sale. So I can definitely understand any delay due to that from their angle.

takotchi
10-29-2005, 05:01 PM
My WM5 upgrade CD shipped sometime between last night and a few minutes ago, because I just checked my e-mail and Dell says it's in transit to the local carrier.

I am quite shocked considering how they botched the upgrade for the Axim X5. I think it took like 2 months before the CD actually arrived for that.

However, maybe I shouldn't get too excited until I get a tracking number, and not one of those "shipping info received" ones from UPS.

DarkHelmet
10-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Hello everyone -

I am pleased to announce that I have rec'd my upgrade - now off to do the installation!

Yippee!

BTW - you can color me surprised that I ordered and rec'd it in the same month.

Patrick Y.
11-01-2005, 12:14 AM
let me know how it turned out, PLEASEEEEE!!!!!!! (amount of ROM left, additional software, stability, etc.) :shocked!: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy:

christak
11-01-2005, 03:46 AM
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=103104

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=102825
8)

DarkHelmet
11-03-2005, 10:04 PM
let me know how it turned out, PLEASEEEEE!!!!!!! (amount of ROM left, additional software, stability, etc.) :shocked!: :werenotworthy:

The install went fine. My WM5 apps installs took a little getting used to - it's a different method. I did not see your reply in enough time to give you an accurate sense of how much memory is left, because I began installing my apps almost immediately.

There seems to be a general sense that my x50v ran faster under WM2003SE. The battery life has DRASTICALLY decreased - I am easily discharging it to ZERO overnight and that never, ever happened before. A couple of times I have had to do soft reset to awaken it.

Generally, I am not really pleased - but check with me again in two weeks or so - maybe I'll have a different story then.

Having said that - still, getting the upgrade is the right thing to do. It is important that people buy the upgrade and install it. Dell has a pretty good track record of fixing the bugs (I am not convinced that the problems are Dell's to fix) and keeping your Axim current is a good thing.

Patrick Y.
11-04-2005, 04:33 AM
Do you have any idea why the battery is draining so fast? other people seems to have this problem too. :?

DarkHelmet
11-04-2005, 05:55 AM
Do you have any idea why the battery is draining so fast? other people seems to have this problem too. :?

No, I don't and it was making my Axim into a cradle jockey - but seriously, I can't find the problem.

One thing that I noted was - I was having to soft-reset way more often than I ever have. Following the soft-reset, the BT stack/radio was active - I don't know why.

Also appeared that WM5 is unable to throttle down - to conserve power.

Sad to say - but I rolled back to WM2003SE this evening.

Gonna watch the Dell site for ROM image updates, and then try upgrading later. I still think buying the upgrade is a good idea. There might be a few kinks - but I was lovin' the brisk response and awesome battery life of WM2003SE...

DarkHelmet
11-04-2005, 05:59 AM
It cannot be said more strongly...

If you have WM2003SE software that you really love - you should check first with the developer to see if there is a WM5 version available...

I discovered, after the fact, that the good guys at Sprite Software (makers of Sprite Backup) are working on their WM5 version...

Frankly, that's one package I really can't afford to be without.

Best regards...

Don Tolson
11-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Got my upgrade yesterday and tried to install it today. Short version -- didn't work.

Activesync 4.0 installed easy enough, but...

I have Firefox as my default browser and the DELL upgrade CD seems to be using ActiveX controls, so make sure you have IE set up as the default browser before you get started.

Even after resetting, etc. I only got the first part of the upgrade completed (updating the 'startup routines' according to the app.) then it just hung after the hard reset to the Axim. Called technical support, we tried about 50 gazillion hard resets, soft resets, restarts of my laptop, etc. but to no avail -- no 'Continue' button on the screen that says to do the hard reset.

Now, he's suggesting that I try the install from a different computer! Sheesh. (And that's after an hour and a half on the phone retrying the thing over and over again, and responding 'No' to the 'Now do you have a Continue button at the bottom of the screen?'

Oh well, I'll give it a try tonight and let you know.

PetiteFlower
11-05-2005, 03:03 AM
Got my upgrade CD today. Afraid to try it yet :) Isn't battery life supposed to get BETTER?

Don Tolson
11-05-2005, 06:59 AM
OK, tried it tonight doing the upgrade using my 'virgin' desktop (never had ActiveSync before). Long story short, it worked just as advertised.

Don't know what was going on with the laptop -- maybe I screwed something up with the first attempt having Firefox as the default browser. (I made sure IE was the default on the desktop first). Or, maybe it was having problems with the Windows XP Tablet edition O/S. Who knows?

Anyway, just a word to the wise to make sure IE is the default browser. I'll check on battery usage tonight, as I'm playing.

BTW, the upgrade to Activesync has a ton of demos, games, etc. on the CD as well.

Patrick Y.
11-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Got my upgrade CD today. Afraid to try it yet :) Isn't battery life supposed to get BETTER?

Apparently, there is a BIG bug.... If I'm you, I won't install the upgrade until dell can fix the problem.

Patrick Y.
11-05-2005, 08:09 AM
It cannot be said more strongly...

If you have WM2003SE software that you really love - you should check first with the developer to see if there is a WM5 version available...

I discovered, after the fact, that the good guys at Sprite Software (makers of Sprite Backup) are working on their WM5 version...

Frankly, that's one package I really can't afford to be without.

Best regards...
This is a major reason that I don't want to upgrade. I just don't want to sacrifice all my favorite software for the additional feature in WM5.

PetiteFlower
11-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Well, I've never been known for my patience. Installed the upgrade last night, seems to have gone as planned. Here's my thoughts:

No battery life issues. Battery life seems about the same as before, not better or worse. From what I read on Aximsite, I think it's an issue with CF cards, or with some 3rd party software.

No slowness issues. Definitely seems faster then 2003SE, thought I've given it many soft resets because of it seeming to hang, but I really think that's just my own paranoia.

Pros: Persistent storage is good. There was I think about 69+ megs of available storage after installation. New sounds theme I like. The theme I had before still works, which is good because I wasn't sure if it would. Most of my software still works and better then under 2003SE in many cases. Speed is better. Fewer graphical artifacts. SIP selector now in the center of the screen instead of the corner, which only makes a difference because the tiny crack in my screen is in the bottom right corner! Also with the soft buttons the wifi icon is accessible again. I hope I can get that $#@*% crack fixed soon!

Cons: Activesync 4 now forces me to have Outlook as my default email program or it won't sync contacts or calender. I am hoping this will not annoy me too much as I use Outlook Express for my email. So far it has not been too intrusive. Pocket Quicken doesn't work even though it was on a list of "mostly functional" software (well it works but it won't sync so what good is it?) The calender interface is kind of annoying now; takes 3 taps to go from Agenda View to Month View instead of one tap with the taskbar icon as before. That one is really gonna bug me I can tell. Oh one game that I purchased pretty recently (and actually paid for, not a freeware game!) doesn't work at ALL. Activesync now appears in my task manager after every soft reset. Why does it do this? I think it slows things down, too, after I hit "Exit all programs" to shut it down the system definitely seems to run faster. I tried deleting things from my startup menu but didn't work. Tell me again why AS needs to be running when the device isn't actually plugged into a computer and syncing?

Despite the longer list of cons, I generally like the upgrade and don't think I'll be rolling back. I may look for another calender tweak. Isn't there supposed to be a way for us to assign the soft buttons to the things we want them to do instead of what MS thinks we need?