View Full Version : screen protector, what to buy??

oilisab
10-02-2005, 11:41 PM
i have an axim x50v and i would like to buy a screen protector for it
but i want something good not just a cheap protector.

I want something clear, with no color loss, no handwriting recognition loss either.
I also want something that doesnt look like a mirror during the day nor soemthing with adhesive backing, that will leave a sticky residue

What do you guys suggest?

Patrick Y.
10-02-2005, 11:44 PM
http://www.brighthand.com/article/Protect_Your_Screen
comparison of all few popular screen protectors

Also, don't EVER, EVER buy Fellowes's screen protector.

Hope this helps

oilisab
10-03-2005, 12:56 AM
just read that and it seems taht the Boxwave protector is the best one,
but it is an adhesive screen protector.

Do you know if after removing it, the screen will be left with a sticky residue?

Patrick Y.
10-03-2005, 02:13 AM
According to most user, there aren't sticky residue on the screen after removing it. After all, it is a washable, reusable screen protector. Though, I can't say for sure since I don't have one.

Currently, I'm using the terrible Fellowes screen protector. :roll: I just can't believe I fell for their trap. It is absolutely the WORST screen protector EVER. Now, I've my eyes on Boxwave Cleartouch Crystal. It sounds like the best screen protector according to others. The anti-glare version is good, but I like to have my screen clear and shiny. 8) :wink:

Darius Wey
10-03-2005, 02:24 AM
Perhaps it is worth pointing out that that article is a little old. Some manufacturers have updated their screen protectors since then - for example, Pocket PC Techs who now have two different WriteSHIELDS, the AG and C2. I'm using the WriteSHIELD AG on my X50v and iPAQ h1940 and think they work great. They're non-adhesive, reusable, cleanable and long-lasting.

The AG is great for blocking out the glare, whereas the C2 is crystal-clear. :)

Patrick Y.
10-03-2005, 04:03 AM
Perhaps it is worth pointing out that that article is a little old. Some manufacturers have updated their screen protectors since then - for example, Pocket PC Techs who now have two different WriteSHIELDS, the AG and C2. I'm using the WriteSHIELD AG on my X50v and iPAQ h1940 and think they work great. They're non-adhesive, reusable, cleanable and long-lasting.

The AG is great for blocking out the glare, whereas the C2 is crystal-clear. :)

Thank you for pointing that out Darius. Though, do you know anyway to get C2 or AG for a cheaper price? $29 is kind of expensive for me. Also, which one do you think is better, Cleartouch Crystal or C2?

JDTagish
10-03-2005, 11:37 AM
I am a bit of a freak about dust under a screen protector, and would spend an hour getting a Fellows or similar product onto my PDA screen and change it every month, because after that duration, it would be pretty marked up from screen taps. I figured there was no "real" difference among screen protectorsand since I had a supply of them onhand (bought cheap - on clearance sales and mostly used for my cell phone screen before I bought a PDA) then I might as well use what I had onhand.

When I bought my e800, it was used and came with a Boxwave on the screen. I found that the screen was sluggish to respond to taps and there was a bunch of dust under it from the previous owner, who clearly was not bothered by that. Trying to remove that screen protector was very challenging, and required duct tape to get enough of a grip to remove it.

I kept hearing that these expensive screen protectors were so much better than what I was using, so I did a little research, and decided on the PPCTechs C2 protector. I am fortunate enough to live in the same area, and I asked them for assistance in getting it on without dust under it, which they were able to do for me. I have been using the same one now for 8 months, and there is not a scratch on it, or a spec of dust under it.

They are damn near indestructible! I still have the second one of a 2 pack...I don't know when I will need it, but it is nice to know it's there.

They are a little pricey, but I can't think of a better investment for a PPC. I mean, why spend hundreds for a device and then balk at $30 to protect your screen indefinitely? I realize there are folks out there with a tight budget, but really, it IS worth it. I was slow to catch on, but now am a total convert!

Darius Wey
10-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Thank you for pointing that out Darius. Though, do you know anyway to get C2 or AG for a cheaper price? $29 is kind of expensive for me.

We do have a Pocket PC Techs discount on upgrades and accessories if you're a subscriber (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php) of the site.

Also, which one do you think is better, Cleartouch Crystal or C2?

I've not tried Boxwave's screen protectors, so by elimination, I'll say C2. ;)

oilisab
10-21-2005, 10:37 PM
is there any big dif between BoxWave cleartouch Crystal or Anti-glare when talking about hadwriting recognition??

kaitanium
10-21-2005, 10:55 PM
love my boxwave crystal, but its like ultraglare on my x50v....i should have gotten the non vga one even though i have a vga device. the glare is annoying at times. i say go for the non crystal but youll be more likely to see the pixels. the antiglare i assume has a more textured and bumpy surface, the crystal is completely smooth

oilisab
10-21-2005, 11:02 PM
btu what about handwriting recognition in the crystal one?

kaitanium
10-21-2005, 11:25 PM
it doesnt improve anything. its just like taking a thin sheet of regular plastic, like the plsatic on the blister packs wrapping your newly bought cd player or whatever. i rather have gone with the antiglare one even though it said its not compatible, because theres always a glare with the crystal one, i rather see my pixels and lose a bit of sharpness in my screen than have a glare rendering the screen unuseable