View Full Version : Gmail on WM5

jhennig
10-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Could someone please guide me in the ways of setting up gmail for Outlook Email on WM5? I could use WebIS Mail however, I would like to be able to use the today feature for my email.

Darius Wey
10-03-2005, 02:27 AM
It's probably worth reading this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34293) where a lot of our readers go through a few tips into getting Gmail to work with Outlook Mobile.

jhennig
10-03-2005, 03:53 AM
Nope. Doesn't work. Is there anyone else who has gotten it to work on Windows Mobile 5?

Darius Wey
10-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Nope. Doesn't work. Is there anyone else who has gotten it to work on Windows Mobile 5?

In what ways is it not working? Perhaps if you provide a few details of what you've done and haven't done, we can guide you along.

jhennig
10-04-2005, 02:03 AM
I input everything but the port. (theres no space for it). Everything else was done how it should have been. When checking the mail, it says it is downloading headers but none appear. That's where the problem seems to be. It connects but doesn't get the mail.

Update: I tried emailing something to myself yesterday and i did recieve it in gmail on my desktop. However, still no recieving or confirmation that the file was sent.

Darius Wey
10-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Try the following. If it fails, let me know:

1. Login to Gmail - then click on "Settings".
2. Select the "Fowarding and POP" tab under "Mail Settings"
3. Select your "POP Download" option ("Enable POP for all mail" is probably the preferred option), and modify any other relevant POP settings, and then select "Save Changes".
4. Next, open "Messaging" on the Pocket PC.
5. Navigate to "Accounts" > "New Account..."
6. Step 1 requires you to enter in your email address - so enter in your full Gmail address in the format, [email protected].
7. Step 2 involves auto-configuration, so let it do what's necessary and then proceed on to the next step which involves your user information. Here, you should enter your full name in the first text field, your full Gmail address in the user name field, and your Gmail password in the password field.
8. In Step 4, select POP3 as the account type, and type in a suitable account name (e.g. Gmail).
9. The final step requires you to specify incoming and outgoing mail servers. Incoming mail should be pop.gmail.com and outgoing mail should be set as smtp.gmail.com.
10. Before you finish, select Options - here you should tick the "Require SSL connection" box and the "Outgoing mail requires authentication" box and configure anything else according to your personal preferences.

For the first time, you may get prompted with an invalid certificate. Ignore it - it should still work. Normally, I don't use Gmail POP, but I did test it out for you, and the steps I outlined above work perfectly on my device. Hope that helps.

jhennig
10-04-2005, 01:44 PM
unfortunately, those are the same steps I followed... EXACTLY. Everything seems to work yet when the email is downloaded, none of it appears.

Darius Wey
10-04-2005, 02:53 PM
unfortunately, those are the same steps I followed... EXACTLY. Everything seems to work yet when the email is downloaded, none of it appears.

Hmm. And can I safely assume that when you select the top-left drop-down box in the Messaging application, you have Inbox selected in the Gmail account and not Inbox from Outlook E-mail?

jhennig
10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
yes you can. BTW, thanks for trying so hard to get it to work for me. 0X