View Full Version : BT GPS or not

pivaska
10-01-2005, 04:20 PM
I have an Axim 50v and use a Garmin 45 GPS that is pretty old. I am looking into using my 50v as my GPS. Is BT better than a direct connect? Second what is the most popular or reliable GPS for Axim50v either BT or not.

Sven Johannsen
10-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Is BT better than a direct connect?
Better is a very relative term. Depends what you want to do. The advantages of cabled are that they are generally significantly cheaper. You can also get a standard GPS with a screen, such as you have, and hook those up to a PPC with a cable, providing a good PPC experience as well as haveing a useable standalone device. (Not all GPSs have serial out). While you do have the cable to contend with, it might actually be less complicated in a car to cable the GPS to the PPC and then power the PPC for long trips, than haveing to power both the PPC and the GPS.

BT is very convenient, especialy for trips that fit within the battery life of your PPC. The BT GPS will last longer than the PPC. Longer trip, of course wind up with cables powering at least the PPC and sometimes the GPS too.

The newer units of each type can be found with the latest GPS hardware making relative performance less of a selection criteria. They are comparable.

When it comes down to it, the GPS only sends location info to the PPC anyway. The heart of the system is the software on the PPC. Don't skimp on that and take some time to research that side of the system. It can certainly cost you more than the GPS itself.

As far as what I use, I have Socket and a Delorme Blue Logger BT GPSs. I'm happy with them, but they are older units, so todays units are supposedly better performers. The Blue Logger is still marketed, but the Socket has been redesigned from what I have. I personnaly use and like Mapopolis, but you will get lots of input on favorites here.

pivaska
10-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks! That was really great info. I do also have a Tosh e800 that has both a CF slot as well as an SD slot. Is there a gps that is made for the CF slot that you know about? I understand about the ppc side of the software and that I will research and compare. I hope they have trial versions. The hardware would then be different because of the fact the Toshiba doesn't have BT. The screen is bigger and I imagine that VGA is not as critical in this matter but there is a tweak for that. Thanks again.

Frosty Vibe
10-02-2005, 07:25 PM
I am very happy with my Leadtek 9537 ( SirF II ), it works very well virtually anywhere, city jungle or otherwise.

Battery life was a common consideration but most BT GPS now last at least 8 hours straight and since you're used to charging your PPC while driving anyway... battery should be no problem.

The biggest weakness of a BT GPS is that it must be used in doors and if your vehicle tends to block out GPS signal then you'd need a external antenna, which effectively defeats the purpose.

Overall, I'd say a BT GPS is a very good investment and as Sven said, there are more PPCs that have BT capable than ones with RS232... it makes your second hand market that much bigger.

Hrun
10-15-2005, 10:55 PM
The biggest weakness of a BT GPS is that it must be used in doors and if your vehicle tends to block out GPS signal then you'd need a external antenna,

This was the reason I bought a BT GPS as it meant I could put it in the back parcel shelf if the front screen was heat reflective (I ub=nderstand this can affect any GPS unit.

I have found that the fact the BT has a battery means that I can pull into a stop and take the key out(stops the cigar lighter) When I get back in both the PPC and GPS are sitting ready. In the missus car we have a cable GPS and when we stop the GPS turns off, meaning a short period to restart.

Small thing, but worth consideration

Giles

Sven Johannsen
10-17-2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks! That was really great info. I do also have a Tosh e800 that has both a CF slot as well as an SD slot. Is there a gps that is made for the CF slot that you know about?

Actually there are several about, and SD ones too. I'm sure someone can point you at those, if looking at www.gpspassion.com doesn't satisfy you. One interesting one is produced by Pharos. It's an iGPS 360 and is the device that comes with the Microsoft Streets and Trips package that includes a GPS. The unit that comes with S&T is a USB unit, because it is intended for a laptop, but there are a number of add-ons you can get. You can get a CF sled, a BT sled, and a serial cable assy that will power both your PPC and the GPS in the car. Kind of a neat system I think. If you get it with S&T you get a pretty good desktp/laptop mapping program, and Pocket Streets as well. Pocket Streets isn't anything to get excited about, but it is free.

The CF sled has a unique feature. It has an extension cable so the GPS can be placed a bit away from the PPC. Most CF GPSs stick to the top of the PPC, and sometimes the optimum viewing position for the PPC isn't the best place for the GPS.

shawnc
10-17-2005, 02:50 AM
Thanks! That was really great info. Thanks again.

No surprise here. Sven, you are one of the key contributors that make this such a great community. Always willing to help and offer useful advice. Just because I don't always agree with you doesn't mean that I don't recognize your contribution.

OK, back on topic...... :wink: !