View Full Version : Help? New x50v says my BT GPS has no services

Canuck
10-01-2005, 04:31 AM
I'm a bit at a loss and was looking for some assistance. I use the Iogear Bluetooth GPS, which worked great with my Ipaq 2210. I just upgraded to a Dell x50v however, and the Bluetooth Manager is a little different. It looks for the gps, finds it, and scans for services (to create a serial connection), only to return that the device has no services available.

I just checked the gps again on the ipaq and it is fine. I've also reset the gps. It is not the mapping software, as that works on the new machine (without the gps of course). The Dell has the latest service pack (though not wm2005 clearly). I try to change the COM ports to what works on my ipaq, but the Dell doesn't let me change them.

Anyone else had such an experience, or know how to force a serial connection?

Derek,
Toronto

Cybrid
10-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm a bit at a loss and was looking for some assistance. I use the Iogear Bluetooth GPS, which worked great with my Ipaq 2210. I just upgraded to a Dell x50v however, and the Bluetooth Manager is a little different. It looks for the gps, finds it, and scans for services (to create a serial connection), only to return that the device has no services available.

I just checked the gps again on the ipaq and it is fine. I've also reset the gps. It is not the mapping software, as that works on the new machine (without the gps of course). The Dell has the latest service pack (though not wm2005 clearly). I try to change the COM ports to what works on my ipaq, but the Dell doesn't let me change them.

Anyone else had such an experience, or know how to force a serial connection?

Derek,
Toronto Try an application called GPS Tuner...It allows you to bridge different COM ports. Perhaps the GPS com port is set at a number which Dell's BT stack doesn't support.

Sven Johannsen
10-03-2005, 08:59 PM
For the most part the serial port for an incoming BT signal is fixed for each type of PPC. It happens to be comm 7 on a Dell X50v. (it is not a function of the GPS) Does your software support a comm 7 input?

I don't think you really need to worry about profiles from the BT Manager in this case. Can you pair the devices and connect, as shown in the manager and maybe on the GPS? My Delorme GPS blinks when it is not connected and glows solid when it is connected.