View Full Version : How have your driving habits changed...

ironguy
09-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Yesterday in the San Jose Mercury News, there was an article that basically stated that most people have NOT changed their driving habits to try and save a bit of gas. I took offense at this as I have noticed more people driving slower on the daily commute. I personally have dropped my freeway speed between 5-10 mph and try to average 60-62 mph. My gas mileage has gone up about 10-15%. My 10 year old Honda Civic is now getting about 37 mpg. Not too bad for a car with 172000 miles on it!

So the question is...

Have you changed your driving habits?
Are you using alternate forms of transportation?
Have you sold your Hummer and bought a hybrid?
Do you walk to work or take your lunch? :lol:

PetiteFlower
09-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I haven't really changed HOW I drive, but I definitely drive less. Fortunately I take public transit to work (since I got this job, driving into Center City Philly at rush hour is a nightmare, and even if you didn't mind the traffic there's no where to park that doesn't cost $15 or more per day) but I have been going fewer places after work and on weekends then before. It really sucks.

Darius Wey
09-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Have I changed my driving habits? Nah, I don't think I have. I drive daily - at least 50km in distance per day and I haven't even tried to drop my speed to save a buck or two on fuel. I'm only on the freeway for a minute before I hit the off-ramp, so adjusting my freeway speed seems insignificant. For the most part, I'm usually stopping and starting due to the huge number of traffic lights I encounter to and from my destination and I figure that consumes more petrol than anything else.

Over here, if you drive too slow, other drivers get agro. If you drive too fast, you'll get caught by a radar. I've generally tried to stick to the speed limit, though I can't speak for the other million living in the city. I recently read an article published in the paper that complained about how drivers here are getting worse, not better. And they're not wrong. ;)

On a side note, I have contemplated getting a scooter. :P

Mark Kenepp
09-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Yesterday in the San Jose Mercury News, there was an article that basically stated that most people have NOT changed their driving habits to try and save a bit of gas. I took offense at this as I have noticed more people driving slower on the daily commute.

I wonder, I have noticed when watching the local traffic reports in the morning, that there does seem to be bigger backups in the Bay Area then I remember seeing this summer. I wonder if people are driving slower out of choice or if the traffic is just too heavy.

I may take the car out once a week, if that. Admittedly, I will be moving next month so I will be driving some stuff over to the new apartment (about ten blocks away) at least once a week so my driving will increase.

I have always (since I moved to San Francisco, ten years ago) used mass transit, walked to my evening hangouts and local shopping. Even shopping downtown is better accessed via mass transit.

I forget what it is like to live in an area where getting around by car is a must.

Godsongz
09-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Jason, have you considered giving out a PPCT branded Segway as a contest gift? <run><hide>

Steve Jordan
10-02-2005, 02:42 AM
My wife and I commute to her job together in her car, then I hop the Metro to go the rest of the way. When we can't travel together, I take my motorcycle to work... gets about 39MPG, and even with today's gas prices, it's the cheapest way for me to get to work solo. I've been doing it this way for the past 5 years, so no, I haven't changed.

When the bike dies, I'm considering replacing it with Honda's highway-rated scooter, the Silverwing. Depending on how you ride, it gets a reported 48-60MPG! 8O

shawnc
10-02-2005, 01:44 PM
No change. I take public transportation to work as the situation in Pittsburgh is similar to what petiteflower describes in Philly. My wife drives to work, but her commute is only 10 minutes.

We simply don't take many drives just for the sake of driving. Most of it is necessary. And while the gas price has bit a significant chunk out of our budget, we just grin and bear it.

kaitanium
10-02-2005, 09:47 PM
ive changed up my driving habits alot. i too also average about 65ish mph on the highway when earlier i would be doing 75ish (yes i know thats breaking the speed limit). so i guess its all good, no worries of getting a speeding ticket and less fuel consumption. i also ride my bike more now, saves me at least a half tank of gas

Steve Jordan
10-02-2005, 10:53 PM
I wonder if people are driving slower out of choice or if the traffic is just too heavy.

I've noticed slower, more inattentive drivers in my area, too... but most of them turn out to be yakking on cell phones, and the rest generally seem to be (dare I say it?) older people, or those who may be new to driving or to the area (judging by their temp plates). Considering how little consideration people gave to gas mileage when they bought their vehicles in the past, I personally doubt many of them are consciously slowing down in order to save gas now.

Also, in my area (Washington, D.C.), population continues to grow, putting more people on the roads every day. A significant amount of slowing is simply due to more people on the roads.

ironguy
10-03-2005, 02:41 PM
My wife told me a recent insurance study showed that when teens talk on their cells while driving they become statistically like 70 year old drivers. California is contemplating a "if you're a teen, you don't talk on your cell while driving" law.

Personally, I think that anything that distracts you from concentrating on driving should be looked at...
except, donuts and coffee, burgers, sandwiches, and pocket pcs!

buss
10-03-2005, 11:27 PM
I rarely drove my car to work, not so much for reasons of conservation, but rather to let my wife have during the day (also allowed for a few pints after work).

What I have done is given up the taxi ride into the office and have decided to walk it. It is only about 2 miles and armed with the lastest podcasts it is a rather enjoyable walk. Might even lose a few pounds if I keep it up.

Steve Jordan
10-05-2005, 03:13 AM
My wife told me a recent insurance study showed that when teens talk on their cells while driving they become statistically like 70 year old drivers.

I'm not so sure that doesn't apply to all ages of drivers, based on my personal observations. I see plenty of moms and dads driving like lethargic alzheimer's patients when they have a phone to their ear (and by the way, that whole "use hands free devices" thing sure died a quick death in D.C.)...

Janak Parekh
10-05-2005, 03:34 AM
Have you changed your driving habits?
Are you using alternate forms of transportation?
Have you sold your Hummer and bought a hybrid?
Do you walk to work or take your lunch? :lol:
For all of New York's problems, this is one aspect I love. I basically only drive on weekends, and usually only short distances from home in suburbia. The rest of the time, I'm in mass transit. :mrgreen:

--janak