View Full Version : TomTom, Mapopolis or Delorme

baker
09-24-2005, 11:23 PM
I've been looking at mapping programs for some time and it's come down to TomTom, Mapopolis or Delorme for me. If you had to choose based on the most up to date roads and points of interest, which of the three would you pick? If you had to choose based on ease of use and routing accuracy is that pick different? Thanks.

Sven Johannsen
09-25-2005, 06:23 PM
I've used two out of the three, and between Mapopolis and Delorme's Streeet Atlas Handheld, Mapopolis wins. Fact is there are really only two big map data suppliers out there and all the packages use one or the other. So for accuracy you don't have a lot of options. Seems that the same errors are often common to both data suppliers too. You kind of have to let folks know where you want to use the thing to possibly get a reading of problems oin those areas. Routing accurracy is sometimes a matter of opinion. Both will get you a route from A to B and both have some options that affect the route; fastest, shortest, etc. Whether it generates the route you would have chosen isn't guaranteed.

As far as ease of use Mapopolis has it hands down. Of course I've been using it for several years so I am comfortable wih it. The Delorme Desktop software UI is a bit squirely, and the PPC one is no different. It doesn't quite follow the Windows norm and as such takes some getting used to. I don't think the lower cost is worth it.

The only saving grace in Delorme is that routes and waypoints can be transferred back and forth betwen PPC and PC ( I don't think any other package lets you do that), and you can use the PPC version with other Delorme map products, like TopoUSA, for off road navigation.

baker
09-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Sven,
Thanks. We use PC Delorme at work, it's not the most up to date and I understand what you mean about not following the windows norm. You hit it on the head as I was looking at Delorme for the price. I did a trial of Mapopolis and liked it somewhat, but I didn't like having to download all of the maps on a county basis.
Thank you.

Sven Johannsen
09-25-2005, 10:02 PM
I didn't like having to download all of the maps on a county basis.
Thank you.

There is an option to download a zip of all the county maps and the major roads map for each state. It's still 50 + downloads but it isn't too bad. I just got all the zips and unpack only the counties and major roads files as I need them.

nategesner
09-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Mapopolis, in my experience, is a great set of software with some great maps. The only problem I have with it is the difficulty in loading maps. You can download the entire states in zip format, which is time-consuming and troublesome, but still not too much of a hassle.

The really bad part is loading specific maps onto my PDA. The maps are broken down by county, so I have to know which counties I'll be traveling in. I do this by going to the mapopolis web site where they show a map of each state, broken down into counties. I then guess which counties I'll be needing, jot down their names, return to my PC, copy the specific county maps to my PDA, and then I'm golden. Not the simplest method.

It would be nice if mapopolis would provide a small program for my PC that would show a map of a state, allow me to select the counties I want, and then it would automatically copy those county maps to my pda. Sounds like it would be a pretty simple solution.

Other than that, I have no problems with the program and it has proven very accurate and easy to use.

Phillip Dyson
09-26-2005, 07:55 PM
I currently use both Mapopolis and Oncourse Navigator 5. I know it wasn't on your list but wasn't sure if you were unaware of it.

Mapopolis is really nice from the ease of use standpoint. It really stand out if you're only using it for local travel, or you REALLY know what counties you need when travelling.

OCN 5, I just started using and is really strong in the trip planning area. Also the maps look great. You can get a seemless US map or a map devided by regions. Unfortunately they removed the option to select a section of map and export what you drew a square around.

Sven Johannsen
09-26-2005, 09:05 PM
The really bad part is loading specific maps onto my PDA. The maps are broken down by county, so I have to know which counties I'll be traveling in. I do this by going to the mapopolis web site where they show a map of each state, broken down into counties.

If you load the major roads map, each of the counties is noted by a little orange dot. Tapping it will give you the county name. Counties you already have on the PPC are larger and starred. I usually have my PPC open to the state/area I'm going to and connected via AS and my Maps directory and the state zip file open. I tap the county icon on the PPC in Mapopolis to get the name, and drag that county out of the zip into the map directory. Doesn't take too long.

I also have a directory on the PC of counties I have used, but have removed from the PPC to save space, to be able to restore them easily. Haven't had to do that much with a 1G SD card for important files in my Axim and a 1G CF for music.

PDANEWBIE
09-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Just to throw TomTom into the mix I wanted to say I use it with a passion.

No downloads all maps come prepackaged in their 8 cd release.
You can install to external cards or to PPC itself.
Many different voice choices as well as some voice "hacks" out there I have sen a Darth Vader and Yoda floating around as well as a Clint Eastwood.
It has a nice bold prompt if you hit toll roads.
Very easy to use layout and interface.
Their new 5.0 (upgraded from 2004) is much better than the previous version.
5.0 now starts my bluetooth manager and connects directly to my GPS with no interation with other menus (2004 I had to open up the BT Manager and then connect to the bluetooth device before opening up the application also I don't use other GPS products so I am not sure if this is normal behavior or just a GPS flaw of 2004).
It allows for iteneraries, alternate routing, route via and many other options.
Highly customizeable display screen as well as interation within the programs options.
Can load multiple states into a region and not have to switch states if going over a state line.
Can load major US roads and don't have to worry about relaoding maps at all if on a road trip.

FYI I am not using a TomTom GPS either. On the downside I do hear TomTom support sucks though I have never called them myself

Just something to add to your narrowing down process.

DerekAbney
10-06-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm thinking about getting a TomTOm standalone product. Either the GO 300 or 700. I will only use it in my car, so that's why I'd go with one of these. Any suggestions, advice, or opinions?