View Full Version : Looking for A Replacement PDA

Oregon Trail
09-24-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm having a switch problem with my Toshiba E805 and am thinking of replacing it. I also have an Ipaq 4700. I haven't been keeping up on new releases lately. Anything comparable to these? I am thinking of another 800 but I have noted that the processor in the 4700 is faster. What about WM5? Will I be able to update an 800/805 to WM5?

dazz
09-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Well, the 4700 is a very nice unit and should be good. But it sounds like you like to have a nice collection. :wink:

I would say go for the Dell Axim x51v. It is going to be available very soon and includes all the goodies you can get, including 256mb ROM for storing your programs and info.

The 4700 will have an upgrade to WM5 but it is not due to arrive until spring of next year. 8O

The 800 is a nice unit as well, but I have not heard any news about an upgrade to WM5 and kind of doubt there is going to be any. I think Toshiba has pulled out of the marketplace.

If you have the $$ go ahead and buy the x51v and you can mail me that old good-for-nothing-taking-up-valuable-space iPaq 4700. :D

yankeejeep
09-24-2005, 09:29 PM
First, Dazz is correct about no WM5 for any Toshiba model. Even the e830 will remain with WM2003SE. There has been a release of what looks like a lot of e800 models from outside the US (they have bluetooth) and several online vendors are offering them. TigerDirect (for one) has them at $350 with a $50 rebate bringing the final price to $300.

Of the current offerings, I would have to agree that the Dell x51v is the most enticing option. Nice screen (with the Intel accelerator, so it is still supported), plenty of flashROM for storage (256 including the OS image), sufficient RAM for smooth WM5 operation (64), dual slots. The only things you will give up from the e800 is USB host capability (no Dell or HP model offers this) and the 4" screen (Dell uses a 3.7" VGA screen).

The 4700 has quite a bit going for it but really requires the PCTechs RAM upgrade to 128 in order to be a really proficient WM2003SE device. And with the WM5 update delayed for the 4700 at least until next spring (which leaves some wondering if it will ever materialize), you may need to make sure it is a very provificient SE device permanently.

Oregon Trail
09-25-2005, 05:34 AM
After the review Jason Dunn gave the X51, I am worried that it might not last very long either. I am trying to figure out if my E 800 can be repaired but it looks doubtful. Any other feedback out there?

Glint
09-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Try the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720, or wait until the new ones come out sometime soon :). Checkout www.firstloox.org for details on the new devices, or do a google search on reviews of the Loox - the best of the current PDA's - including the x51v! (I'm not biased at all!).[/url]

Patrick Y.
09-26-2005, 05:54 AM
After the review Jason Dunn gave the X51, I am worried that it might not last very long either. I am trying to figure out if my E 800 can be repaired but it looks doubtful. Any other feedback out there?

I believe x51 would be the best choice. Besides, it has the most ideal configuration with WM 5 (256MB of ROM). Loox is nice, however it is a little hard to get in US and the memory configuration doesn't really fit WM 5's persistant storage. The graphic accerator also provide smooth video playback. You will be surprised by the power of it with WM 5. :wink:

Oregon Trail
09-27-2005, 11:14 AM
What is USB host capability?

ctmagnus
09-27-2005, 07:00 PM
What is USB host capability?

USB host capability lets you hook up things like thumbdrives, USB harddrives and mice to your device. It's essentially the desktop version of USB as opposed to the standard Pocket PC version of it, where the Pocket PC can only connect to a PC.

Oregon Trail
09-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Thank you.