View Full Version : Dell Axim 50v or the Ipaq 4700

IpaqMan2
09-22-2005, 03:01 AM
I was wondering if anyone has had both of these devices and if so, which one did you like? If you haven't had both of them I'd still like to hear your thoughts.

I like the specs of both devices. Fast Processor, dual memory slots, and both have VGA. The iPaq has a larger screen which is almost decision maker for me since it I'd prefer a 4 inch screen over the 3.7, (which makes it better for watching videos). But the iPaq wont have WM 5.0 upgrade for a long time and knowing HP probably never) where as Dell has it for the Axim now.

Any one has any other thoughts on which would be a better PDA to have?

ADBrown
09-22-2005, 08:34 AM
I've had both. I prefer the X50v--it's smaller, has a better design, better controls, and is far cheaper. Plus it has the Intel 2700G video chip, which allows super-smooth DVD-quality video playback without taxing the main processor.

Stephen Beesley
09-22-2005, 09:06 AM
I have been struggling with the same decision for some time now, but I think a couple of things have finally pushed me over into the Dell camp.

First is that I finally got to have a play with a 4700 and it is a truly fantastic looking device. But, and it is a big but, the touchpad just did not do it for me. I am sure that I would get used to it in time but I really would prefer a d-pad.

Second - and the clincher - is the WM5 announcment. Although there do seem to be some issues with WM5 I am still sure it is a step in the right direction and not having it until next year some time (if at all) on a device that still costs as much or more than a new Dell is just not on.

It is a pity really because there is a lot to like about the 4700 IMHO

kaitanium
09-22-2005, 10:36 PM
definetly a dell x50v because of price, which is almost $200 off (during dell sales) of the hp and if theres anything on the hp thats worth the extra 200 then ill stand corrected

Darius Wey
09-23-2005, 03:41 AM
I'm with the others - go with the X50v (or to keep up with the times, the X51v). Despite the hx4700's awesome screen, the device is HUGE, and after playing around with it for ten minutes, I decided it wasn't the device for me. The X50v/X51v represents a nice, pocket-sized VGA Pocket PC packed with a host of neat features. The Intel 2700G GPU will allow you to achieve many great things. ADBrown mentions smooth video playback without relying on the processor, and to me, that's a great thing to have. I regularly use my X50v for PowerPoint presentations now, since the GPU supports VGA-out. So there's another advantage of the X50v/X51v.

And the price - well, we all know which one is friendlier on the wallet. ;)

kaitanium
09-23-2005, 09:35 AM
oh hp, you lost my business a long time ago

Patrick Y.
09-24-2005, 05:09 AM
I'm also with others. Go for x51v NOW. Dell is having a $100 off sale for small bussiness. http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/handhelds?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

I really prefer Dell for following reasons:

Better customer support

Better design/size. I mean, you should see 4700. I compared my x50v with 4700 and I just can believe HOW UGLY and BIG 4700 looks beside the elegant x50v.

Now, x51v OFFERS WM 5 preinstalled, 256MB OF ROM!!, etc. for only $399 on sale.

The graphic accelerator really pulls GREAT video.

etc.
etc.

In conclusion, I strongly recommend you to get x51v NOW.
Patrick