View Full Version : Inbox Hiccups

ChristopherTD
09-20-2005, 08:55 AM
I use the standard Inbox on my iMate Jam (WM2003SE Phone Edition) to collect my POP3 email. By and large it behaves itself.

Occasionally however it seems to get it's headers in a muddle (I have it set to download headers and 2K of message initially). I can see a message in the list, but when I open the message the body is from a different message.

Does anyone know of a way of forcing it to re-download all headers so that I can read the real message? I could delete the account, and re-create it, but that is a bit extreme!

Any ideas?

hamishmacdonald
09-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks for bringing this up. I've been struggling with it for a long time, but I've just let it go.

The one workaround I've found -- which totally defeats the point of having a "headers only" setting -- is to tell everything to download. What I've noticed is that first Inbox/Messaging will grab the message, turning the "Mark for download" icon into the regular message icon, then it'll go through and connect and disconnect to the mailserver for every single message. At first I thought it was doing some sort of code-spasm, but letting this complete itself usually means the messages will open with the right body.

What an annoying bug, though.

I'm not holding my breath for a fix, since the solution in the PPC world seems to be "Buy a new device with the next OS on it".

ChristopherTD
09-20-2005, 10:40 AM
I usually just let it go, since I can read the "lost" message when I get home. It just happens that the "lost" message today is one that I want to read now!

I tried creating another POP3 account, but it didn't download any messages, I guess it has a marker somewhere that tells it what the last message downloaded to the device is.

The download everything setting is highly dangerous for GPRS use! Large attachments cause grief...

It is a frustrating little bug.

ChristopherTD
09-20-2005, 10:53 AM
I found a solution, though it may be unpalatable. On the Accounts menu is an option "Clear XXXXX" where XXXXX is your currently selected email account.

Selecting that brings a warning that all messages will be deleted. Saying Yes clears it all out. Everything gone. Then next time you connect you can download the messages properly.

The only downside is that you lose all messages in the Sent Items or other folders, but I don't mind that since I don't monitor them anyway.

hamishmacdonald
09-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Oh! I haven't used that feature. So it doesn't delete the messages in the inbox, it just clears them? (And messages in other folders?)

That could be useful. Thanks!

ChristopherTD
09-20-2005, 12:32 PM
It just appears to empty the PPC folder structure for that account. Nothing happens on the actual mail server.

Just what I need really!