View Full Version : Treo 650 vs SX66 (BlueAngel), many questions, esp. email

stevenf
09-13-2005, 08:47 PM
I've had a Treo 650 for a while, which I've had some issues with, and now I also have an SX66 from Cingular and 30 days to decide if I like it better or not. I'm neither a Palm nor PocketPC apologist. I just want a device that works reliably for the things I need.

The most important thing (next to reliable performance as an actual phone) is that the phone periodically picks up email from our IMAP SSL server. Push would be fantastic, but there don't seem to be many options that don't involve an intermediate server, so I'm willing to live with a 15-20 minute poll.

I can't figure out exactly what is happening with Inbox on the SX66, but I've set it to check email every 15 minutes and... well, it doesn't always. I've posted similar threads to this before and never really got a straight answer. There is something about the way Inbox's automatic pickups work that I'm just not understanding, because they just don't seem to happen reliably.

Here's what I've noticed:

- It generally seems to work OK if I disable all wireless except GPRS. It will turn on and check mail about every 15 minutes. Unfortunately, when it turns on, the touch screen is also enabled, and I'm worried about this when it's running unattended in a pocket or case.

- I was hoping I could leave WiFi on, and it would use WiFi if available, otherwise fall back to GPRS. In fact, it even states this is what will happen if I click on the "W" icon at the top of the screen.

If I'm within range of my home WiFi, it seems to use the WiFi connection just fine. If I'm out and about, it sometimes locks on to random secured access points, and I try to dismiss them (since I don't know the password), but it just keeps prompting me repeatedly for the password, instead of giving up and rolling to GPRS. Is this as-designed? Because it sure isn't what I expected.

Worse, if it's in my pocket, it will just keep doing this, never falling back to GPRS, and never picking up my mail until I'm in range of an access point that I can connect to. This is why I ended up turning off the WiFi radio, but I was really hoping I wouldn't end up "micro-managing" my wireless radios all day long.

In fact, sometimes I would turn on the SX66 and see some sort of connection error balloon that quickly disappeared before I had time to read it. I assume this has some bearing on why email pickups aren't happening, but it makes it kind of hard to debug.

- Neither Inbox nor WebIS seem to support IMAP message flags (neither displaying nor setting). This has become an important part of my workflow. Is there any IMAP SSL client for PocketPC that does? (SnapperMail for the Treo does.)

- I left the SX66 cradled overnight, and it didn't seem to do any email checking at all until I un-cradled it the next morning. I have no idea why not. The GPRS radio was enabled. I get the impression that being cradled somehow overrides the PocketPC's internet connection, but why?!

- Inbox seems very slooow when dealing with IMAP. Even after getting the new mail, it enters this "Receiving Folders..." phase that takes forever to complete, and I've not seen in any other IMAP client.

The ability of the PocketPC to multitask is a god-send compared to the Treo, and Pocket IE (especially with PocketPlus installed) is light years ahead of Palm's Blazer, and of course there's no WiFi in the Treo.... I want to use the SX66 but I need these email doo-dads to work the way I'm used to.

I get the impression from reading the forums that PocketPC IMAP support is just kind of weak in general. Any PPCPE power users have any suggestions?

stevenf
09-14-2005, 04:21 AM
According to the SX66's manual:

"The GPRS channel can be activated alongside the Bluetooth channel, but not the WiFi channel, for Internet connection"

So I guess that answers one question. :( Bummer. I hoped it would be smarter than that.

It also has this to say about the WiFi Power Saving modes:

"Best Battery: Uses the least battery power while maintaining a WiFi connection. This mode significantly reduces the WiFi data throughput. It
is not recommended for large file transfers or when Bluetooth is on. "

I don't understand how using a low WiFi Power Setting affects Bluetooth?! It doesn't explain any further than that.

stevenf
09-14-2005, 05:54 AM
I'll just keep replying to myself until I answer all my own questions. ;)

I found a mistake in my connection settings, and now it works fine in the cradle.

Still curious if there are any IMAP clients that support flags. What else is out there besides Inbox and WebIS?

martin_ayton
09-14-2005, 09:51 AM
I have a Blue Angel too, and I use IMAP4. It's OK, not great but OK. I have the same issue with a long wait for 'receiving folders' even though I have specifically not checked any folders for collection in the hope that that would speed things up.

I can at least now pick up email when I'm out and about, and I have to be content with that. My incoming email rates are low enough that it works for me to pull the stuff down at my own convenience. I only work with the GPRS connection: I cannot make my system send mail via IMAP and a WiFi connection and I've given up trying. (The problem is with my exchange server setup, not the PPC). I've decided to live with, and be grateful for, what I have and wait for our systems to be upgraded to Exchange 2003 SP2 so I can get some really decent integration without using IMAP

barkerwr
09-14-2005, 11:08 PM
I considering making the same transition. Is there anything you miss about the Treo? Have you ever used the SX66 with your laptop to connect to GRPS? Thanks!

stevenf
09-15-2005, 06:56 AM
I still can't make up my mind which I prefer. Here's sort of a quick comparison chart of my current feelings:

SX66 Pros:

- Real multitasking!
- Seriously, real multitasking!
- WiFi available (although awkward to switch between WiFi & GPRS)
- Much better web browser
- User interface and built-in fonts marginally more attractive

Treo 650 Pros:

- Better IMAP clients, as far as I can tell
- Smaller and lighter, more "pocketable" without a case
- Much better one-handed navigation
- EDGE
- Camera
- Hardware switch to mute
- Better battery life, as far as I can tell

This makes it seem like the Treo is winning, but really, it feels 50/50 at the moment. There are things I like about both, and things that are driving me crazy about both.

Unfortunately, most of my testing has been as PDA & data devices... I don't get many phone calls, so I don't yet have a good feel for the phone capabilities of the SX66.

I have not yet tried Bluetooth DUN (laptop connectivity) on the SX66. I've gotten it to work on the Treo, but it's kind of a mess.