View Full Version : Flickering screen...

Patrick Y.
09-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi everyone,
I just got a replacement for my original x50v, which has some power management problem. The replacement, however, seems to have defected screen. The screem tends to flicker and "shake" even after a fresh hard reset. Dell agrees to send another replacement since even their technician can't figure out the problem. Anyway, I just want to know if you guys have any idea about what's causing the problem. And just a thought, my old Acer's screen flickers when I overclock it beyond the limit its 300mhz CPU can handle. Thanks!!
Patrick

cab124
09-14-2005, 02:58 PM
I am having a screen-related problem with my x50v as well.

I purchased it on 8/14/05. After a couple of weeks of use, a whole column of pixels on the left side of the screen failed (they are stuck showing blue only), which means that I have a blue stripe down the left side of the screen.

I used Dell chat to report the problem and they told me they would send out a replacement in 3 business days. That was a week ago and as of right now, the replacement still as not shipped. I checked in yesterday and they told me that it was "delayed at the courior," and that they would get it to me in two more business days. But as of this morning it still has not shipped.

In general, is Dell support considered to be pretty good?

PetiteFlower
09-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Generally it is, this is the first I've heard of someone not getting their replacement unit the next day. You should call them and complain, they should send it out today.

cab124
09-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I called Dell and they told me that my replacement won't ship until the 20th.

Bummer!!! I have such bad luck - getting a defective x50v.

PetiteFlower
09-14-2005, 08:10 PM
If I were you, I'd raise hell about that. The terms of the advanced exchange program state:

What is Advanced Exchange?

In the event you have a warranty issue (problem) with your Axim that cannot be resolved over the phone, we will ship you a replacement unit the next business day*. Synchronize your new unit, ship back the defective unit and continue to enjoy the power of your Axim handheld.

*Replacement system or replacement part will be dispatched, if necessary, following phone-based troubleshooting, in advance of receipt of returned defective part or system. Replacements may be refurbished. Defective unit must be returned. Availability varies. Other conditions apply.

It doesn't say they'll ship you a new unit in 2 weeks. It says THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY. If they're not going to honor your warrenty, they should darn well better give you a reason at the very least.

cab124
09-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Wow....I didn't know about that.

But, what really bothers me is that they might send me a refurbished unit????????

Let me understand this.....

I buy a brand new Axim x50v. After 3 weeks, the display fails. Dell exchanges this unit for a unit that is potentially refurbished?????? How can that be??? I thought I was buying a new unit.

Then, they tell me they will send it in 3 business days but after two phone calls they tell me that the best they can do is send it by 9/20 (even though the web site says that the target ship date is 9/9).

I am tempted to return the unit and just forget the whole thing.

Patrick Y.
09-15-2005, 06:37 AM
Good news! I just got my replacement a few days ago, which is three days after I contact dell. :D Personally, I think that their customer service is great. Quick response and quick shipping. :) Anyway, the replacement unit they sent me is perfect!! :wink:

kaitanium
09-15-2005, 08:35 AM
sometimes their outsoruced middle eastern employee's accents can be hard to understand though =P

PetiteFlower
09-15-2005, 01:57 PM
They're Indian, not Middle Eastern.

PetiteFlower
09-15-2005, 02:03 PM
I don't know what to tell you about the refurbishing. You shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a new or refurbished one anyway. I can't believe they're giving you such a hard time about shipping out your replacement though. That's just unacceptable.

kaitanium
09-15-2005, 06:08 PM
right, i thought of that after i posted but was too lazy to change it

cab124
09-16-2005, 07:31 PM
8 days now since I reported my defective x50v with no replacement in site. According to the website, my replacement has been in tansit to the carrier for 2 days.

This bites!!!

Patrick Y.
09-19-2005, 06:02 AM
8 days now since I reported my defective x50v with no replacement in site. According to the website, my replacement has been in tansit to the carrier for 2 days.

This bites!!!

Your situation seems to be quite strange. I've replaced my x50v two times due to some charging problem. The replacement units always arrives in about 2-3 days. In my opinion, their customer service is fantastic.

Patrick

cab124
09-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Your situation seems to be quite strange. I've replaced my x50v two times due to some charging problem. The replacement units always arrives in about 2-3 days. In my opinion, their customer service is fantastic.

I don't know what to say about that. I used Dell support chat on Thursday 9/8 to report that my 3-week old Axim x50v had a defective display. I was told that I would receive a replacement no later 3 business days from the day I reported the problem.

As of today, 9/19, my unit still has not arrived at the local carrier. I have followed up with 2 phone calls, but no progress. Its amazing. It takes Dell 5 days to transport my device from their warehouse to the FedEx location, and it will take FedEx 1 day to get it to my house.

After I finally get my new unit, I think I am going to wait the same number of days that I have had to wait before I mail back my defective unit.

Patrick Y.
09-20-2005, 01:03 AM
Well, I really hope that everything will work out for you soon.