View Full Version : Imate K-Jam vs. Imate JasJar - Thoughts...

Phoenix
09-10-2005, 01:21 AM
After much deliberation, I've decided that the Imate K-Jam will be the best solution for me in terms of a new PPC Phone.

I've been thinking about the K-Jam and the JasJar. The JasJar has the nice XScale processor, a VGA screen, and what looks to be a great keyboard. It has nice features overall, but currently it's no good for use in the States - too limited.

The K-Jam on the other hand, has Quad-band GSM (better than the Jas's Tri-band), it has EDGE (which is actually useful here instead of the Jas's lack of EDGE and incompatible 3G), it has G-band WiFi which is nice (as opposed to the Jas's B-band only), and it has BT 2.0 which gives room for growth in terms of BT-enabled peripherals (as opposed to the Jas's BT 1.2).

The K-Jam offers the same specs as the Jas in terms of a still/video camera (1.3 MP), the same amount of memory (64 RAM/128 ROM), WM 5.0, stereo speakers, a built-in backlit thumb type keyboard, Consumer IrDA, and USB 2.0.

So except for a keyboard with slightly larger keys, a VGA screen, and an XScale processor (still not too sure about the performance of the K-Jam's OMAP), the K-Jam has it all. It's smaller too, which I would never complain about, even though I never minded the idea of the Jas's size.

Not to mention, the K is close to only half the cost of the Jas.

For use in the States, the K-Jam is where it's at... or shall I say, will be.

What do you think?

Paragon
09-10-2005, 02:24 AM
What do you think?

I agree Phoenix!

Dave

Phoenix
09-10-2005, 02:58 AM
Yeah, I looked over the specs once more and was wondering why I didn't come to this conclusion earlier! I guess the Universal had me under a "spell" there for awhile! :lol:

But there are some things that I would like to see on the K-Jam:

- VGA Screen
- Slightly larger keys on keyboard (maybe this won't be an issue)
- Standard SD slot instead of MiniSD (maybe this won't be an issue either)
- Intel XScale processor (I hope this won't be an issue)

Although I've heard that the K will have dual procs - I don't know if that's true and if it is, what that will mean in terms of practical performance. So again, I'm unsure about whether it's processor will be the weakest link or one of its strengths. I'm certainly hoping for the latter and really eager to hear what the verdict is on this.

Paragon
09-10-2005, 03:06 AM

- VGA Screen.

Careful what you wish for. Are you sure you would want, or even be able to read VGA resolution on a 2.8" screen? It's one thing on a 3.8"-4.0" screen but on a 2.8" things will be very tiny. Don't forget that on a 2.8" QVGA screen the resolution is much tighter and sharper because of the small real estate.

shivafool
09-10-2005, 05:39 AM
The Universal has everything on the list that you wish for the K-Jam. Obviously there are pros and cons to both. I think I'll go for a Universal in spite of the no EDGE. The larger size seems like an advantage to me since it means larger screen and keyboard.

Phoenix
09-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Careful what you wish for. Are you sure you would want, or even be able to read VGA resolution on a 2.8" screen? It's one thing on a 3.8"-4.0" screen but on a 2.8" things will be very tiny. Don't forget that on a 2.8" QVGA screen the resolution is much tighter and sharper because of the small real estate.

Yes, you're correct. But I've been looking at 2.8" screens for quite some time now, and I'm ready for higher resolution. The screens are nice - don't get me wrong - but I'd truly like something even sharper.

The Universal has everything on the list that you wish for the K-Jam. Obviously there are pros and cons to both. I think I'll go for a Universal in spite of the no EDGE. The larger size seems like an advantage to me since it means larger screen and keyboard.

You're correct, it does. But those four things are less of an issue to me than the other components/versions of components found in the K that aren't found in the Universal. The Universal just isn't ready for prime time here in the States. I wish it were, but alas...

What I'll most likely do is purchase the K and while I use it, wait to see if a North American version of the Universal arrives with updated components (BT 2.0, WiFi G, EDGE (no 3G), and Quad GSM).

gibson042
09-10-2005, 05:52 PM
I am so close to agreeing with you. In my opinion, now is the time to get a unit with Bluetooth 2.0, the Wizard's processor will almost certainly be more than adequate (would HTC release it if it wasn't?), and the JASJAR is definitely NOT a phone for North America. All told, the Wizard is directly superior to the Universal in its wireless aspects.

But three letters spoil it: VGA. I'm committed to a high resolution device, and right now the Universal is the only player on the field. However, I will wait for a little while before making my purchase. I have yet to see full specifications for the Vodafone VPA IV, Orange SPV M5000, O2 XDA Exec, and Dopod 900. It is possible that one of these, or a surprise new model, will have 850 MHz GSM/GPRS or even EDGE support or US-compatible UMTS (though unlikely... okay, very unlikely :?). Once I have a little more choice, I will get one.

Actually, my biggest issue with the Universal was once a selling point for me: its keyboard. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer having it, but the Universal is thick 8O. If removing the keyboard could slim it by even 20% (from 25 to 20 mm; still keeping it the thickest VGA model), I think I would get the keyboard-free model. I guess I'll find out for sure when I hold one. But I expect that I'll be replacing my phone again next year, in favor of one designed for North America... hopefully it will also be slimmer and include Bluetooth 2.0.

Phoenix
09-10-2005, 07:45 PM
...Actually, my biggest issue with the Universal was once a selling point for me: its keyboard. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer having it, but the Universal is thick 8O. If removing the keyboard could slim it by even 20% (from 25 to 20 mm; still keeping it the thickest VGA model), I think I would get the keyboard-free model. I guess I'll find out for sure when I hold one...

You may or may not be aware that the Wizard and the Universal are virtually the same thickness. The Wizard is 24mm and the Universal is 25mm.

gibson042
09-10-2005, 09:09 PM
I'll admit I haven't paid close attention to the Wizard, and was unaware that it was so thick (although, that does seem like less of a hindrance on such a small device... especially with the keyboard-free Magician coming in at 18 mm). But the Blue Angel managed to squeeze a keyboard into less than 19 mm. I'm willing to forgive its successor the added length and width, but I don't think that 20 mm or less of thickness is too much to ask. If that can't be done with a keyboard, then I want one without.

In fact, now that I'm comparing the Blue Angel and the Universal, I'm wondering about the size increase. The screen went from 3.5 inches to 3.6, but the bigger screen actually seems to have less of the device's face. An added antenna for UMTS wouldn't even be noticable, and it's not like the Universal added a CF slot or anything. I can only think of three things that might explain a size increase: the mini-USB interface, the "tablet" style keyboard, and the video conference camera. I'm willing to forgo the latter two if it gives me a slimmer device, and I know from the Magician that a mini-USB plug can fit just fine into 18.1 mm.

All this is really just nit-picking, though. I will get a Universal, and I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. At least, until a better VGA phone comes along...

shivafool
09-11-2005, 04:42 AM
So has there been ANYTHING else about a possible different Universal model for the US market? There was that line in the HTC press release about Europe, Asia, and the US (or maybe it said North American) market. It seems to me that a multinational player like HTC would not make a statement like that unless they had something in the works with a distributor. I'm willing to wait, but is this just wishful thinking on my part? Any rumors or guesses out there?

Phoenix
09-11-2005, 10:30 AM
So has there been ANYTHING else about a possible different Universal model for the US market? There was that line in the HTC press release about Europe, Asia, and the US (or maybe it said North American) market. It seems to me that a multinational player like HTC would not make a statement like that unless they had something in the works with a distributor. I'm willing to wait, but is this just wishful thinking on my part? Any rumors or guesses out there?

I know you're just throwing this question out to anyone who may know, but I've been following this phone pretty closely, and I've heard nothing about a US version. I would certainly hope there would be - I'd have a hard time believing that they wouldn't.

But as of now, and unless someone has some real insider info, we'll just have to wait this one out.

Phoenix
09-17-2005, 01:17 PM

- VGA Screen.

You know, Dave, I've looked at the JAM screen again, and on second thought, I think you're right - it is quite sharp at that size without it being VGA. I don't think all screens are made equal. The JAM screen is much better than the screen on an SE P900, IMO. The JAM's screen is so bright and sharp with really rich colors, so I have to say that VGA on the Wizard shouldn't be an issue for me.

Although I liked the idea of having a standard SD slot on the Wizard, I can make due with MiniSD - Sandisk makes a 1GB MiniSD card that sells for around $68. Not a bad price. I don't know what the speed rating is, but I'd have no reason to believe it wouldn't be fine.

The only three things I'm hoping for on the Wizard are:

1) Nicer keys. The keys we've now seen on the Sprint PPC-6700 are exactly the size and shape I'd be looking for. Hopefully we'll have something similar.

2) A great processor. I have no clue of what to expect from the OMAP they supposedly stuffed into the Wiz. I just hope it can perform like the XScales.

3) Proper memory. I want to see better memory management on the Wiz than what we've seen and heard about on the Universal.

If those three desires/requirements of mine can be met - then the Wizard will be my next phone. (No matter how much I've been tempted by the XDA Exec !).

Paragon
09-17-2005, 03:59 PM
You know, Dave, I've looked at the JAM screen again, and on second thought, I think you're right - it is quite sharp at that size without it being VGA. I don't think all screens are made equal. The JAM screen is much better than the screen on an SE P900, IMO. The JAM's screen is so bright and sharp with really rich colors, so I have to say that VGA on the Wizard shouldn't be an issue for me.

Although I liked the idea of having a standard SD slot on the Wizard, I can make due with MiniSD - Sandisk makes a 1GB MiniSD card that sells for around $68. Not a bad price. I don't know what the speed rating is, but I'd have no reason to believe it wouldn't be fine.

The only three things I'm hoping for on the Wizard are:

1) Nicer keys. The keys we've now seen on the Sprint PPC-6700 are exactly the size and shape I'd be looking for. Hopefully we'll have something similar.

2) A great processor. I have no clue of what to expect from the OMAP they supposedly stuffed into the Wiz. I just hope it can perform like the XScales.

3) Proper memory. I want to see better memory management on the Wiz than what we've seen and heard about on the Universal.

If those three desires/requirements of mine can be met - then the Wizard will be my next phone. (No matter how much I've been tempted by the XDA Exec !).

Yeah, the screen in the JAM is very good,in sharpness, colour, and saturation.

As to your three points...

1)-The landscape keyboard on the K-JAM is very appealing to me because it does allow for bigger keys and better spacing. I've never been a big fan of thumboards because they are two small. The K-JAM's is a nice size I think.

2)-From all that I have read and early reports I'm pretty confident that the processor is going to work fine.

3)- After having a Jasjar for a couple of days which has the same memory configuration, I'm a bit worried. There is little more than 25mb of RAM or ROM available on it right out of the box and turned on. I can only hope that HTC handles memory differently with the K-JAM. Not to worry too much, it's no MPX for sure, but it could use a memory boost. It will work flawlessly for most people, but I think there are some power users that may push the upper limits of RAM. I know for sure that almost every one will push the limit of ROM storage, but that isn't much of an issues since you can you the "mini" SD slot for data, and program storage.

Dave

bmstrong
09-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Interesting. As someone looking for his next phone, and to get off of the Symbian OS, the K-JAM looks to be everything I'm looking for. What's the going USD price of the K-JAM?

Paragon
09-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Interesting. As someone looking for his next phone, and to get off of the Symbian OS, the K-JAM looks to be everything I'm looking for. What's the going USD price of the K-JAM?

David Weiniger seems to have the best price and service.

http://www.dweiniger.com/

dorelse
09-29-2005, 08:10 PM
The one thing that really bothers me about these phones is that they're all leaving off the 4 app hardware buttons.

On my Treo & Axim I find these to be indispensible, and I'm disappointed to witness their demise.

Darius Wey
09-30-2005, 05:54 AM
The one thing that really bothers me about these phones is that they're all leaving off the 4 app hardware buttons.

On my Treo & Axim I find these to be indispensible, and I'm disappointed to witness their demise.

A lot of manufacturers are replacing two of four of those buttons to cater for softkey navigation in Windows Mobile 5.0. I also use my hardware buttons day in-day out, so I'd love to see the four hardware buttons retained without an increase in the size of the device.

But you can't get the best of everything. That's why applications exist for you to assign two commands per button - one for tap, and one for tap-and-hold.

bmstrong
09-30-2005, 08:36 PM
K-JAM is shipping. There the start of a review on HoFo in a thread. The only question I have is the size the same on the K-JAM as the orginal Jam?

Paragon
09-30-2005, 08:59 PM
K-JAM is shipping. There the start of a review on HoFo in a thread. The only question I have is the size the same on the K-JAM as the orginal Jam?

Very close. The K-Jam is a bit thicker. If you have seen an M500 eten it is the same size.