View Full Version : Why Upgrade to Windows Mobile 5?

InGearX
09-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I just got my Dell Axim X50v with a free Windows Mobile 5 upgrade CD...

And from limited info that I've read about Windows Mobile 5 I see no reason to upgrade - and quiet the opposite - that is to stick with 2003 for now...

- By far not all software titles are compatible with Windows Mobile 5
- Windows Mobile 5 needs much RAM...
- No real out of the box advantages - rather a good core for software development...

Maybe I'm misinformed - but I do not see what is all the hype created around Windows Mobile 5 about...

Hope to hear sound answers/comments...

Darius Wey
09-09-2005, 11:53 AM
- By far not all software titles are compatible with Windows Mobile 5

For now, yes, but that shouldn't be a major factor stopping you from upgrading. Almost all major third-party applications now have been updated to support Windows Mobile 5.0.

- Windows Mobile 5 needs much RAM...

I'm not sure where you heard this from, but it doesn't. Windows Mobile 5.0 changes the memory management structure by using a feature called Persistent Storage. If anything, you should have more RAM available for program execution with Windows Mobile 5.0 than you will with Windows Mobile 2003/2003SE. Bear in mind that ROM is the default storage place for Windows Mobile 5.0 devices, so there isn't any sharing of memory for program execution and storage. In theory, you should have all of the X50v's 64MB of RAM to use for execution, as opposed to the ~32MB you'd have on Windows Mobile 2003SE, considering a 50:50 memory distribution between program execution and storage.

If you're comparing memory consumption between the two versions of the operating system, the differences are negligible.

- No real out of the box advantages - rather a good core for software development...

So you might not appreciate the updated and new out-of-the-box applications such as PowerPoint Mobile, an improved Outlook Mobile, etc., but you might appreciate the new ground that developers can use to create more advanced programs. And it's not just the developers that benefit, but it's the consumers as well since you're the market at which these programs are directed at.

For example, with Windows Mobile 5.0, we now see Direct3D Mobile support. This will allow richer multimedia content to be delivered on your device - something which is otherwise difficult to accomplish on previous versions of Windows Mobile. At the end of the day, developers benefit and consumers benefit. My two cents...

Sven Johannsen
09-09-2005, 03:15 PM

Does that mean you already got the CD????

Ommadawn
09-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Yeah, did you actually get the CD with WM2005 on it? I bought my X50v two weeks ago, and when I queried Dell Oz, was told the upgrade wouldn't be available for another couple of weeks, and yes, I would have to pay $50AUS for it even though I've only just bought the Axim.

Not happy, Dell.

InGearX
09-09-2005, 08:09 PM

Yes, I am in possession of WM5 upgrade CD for my X50v
And every other person who orders from Dell - check out their site - it's one of their promos...

Yeah, did you actually get the CD with WM2005 on it? I bought my X50v two weeks ago, and when I queried Dell Oz, was told the upgrade wouldn't be available for another couple of weeks, and yes, I would have to pay $50AUS for it even though I've only just bought the Axim.

Not happy, Dell.
That sucks for you, and since you are in Australia - it's not easy for you to return and buy the new package... else I would... and the packaging on the CD threatens regarding anti piracy upgrade w. strict verification

Darius Wey
09-10-2005, 05:17 AM

And every other person who orders from Dell - check out their site - it's one of their promos...

The vast majority of users are surprised because Dell stated that the upgrade CD would ship in October, yet you claim to already have it. See this page for more information:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/promo.aspx/snp/axim_os_upgrade?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~lt=popup

"Get a FREE Windows Mobile 5.0 Upgrade CD ($39.00 value) when you purchase a new Axim X50/X50v. Simply select the Windows upgrade option when you "customize and price" and purchase your PDA today. Your upgrade CD will ship in October when available.

Be one of the first to benefit from the new features of Windows Mobile 5.0 software by taking advantage of this limited time offer.

Your X50/X50v will ship to you today with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition software installed. Your Free Upgrade CD will then ship to you in October allowing you to upgrade your device from the current operating system to the new operating system by simply using the installation CD."

I guess it's worth asking if any other Dell users have received their upgrade CD yet?

Patrick Y.
09-10-2005, 05:41 AM
Yeah, how did you get the CD so quickly????

Patrick Y.
09-10-2005, 05:48 AM
My major concern is also about software incompatibility. I believe that most freeware will not be able to support WM5 according to this:http://www.monocube.com/forums/about12.html

Also, a lot of freeware developers has abandon the development for their softwares. According to what I read, NO softwares will work with WM 5 without some kind of certification, which requires the developers to upgrade their software. :cry: :cry: Anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong.

hiatus
09-10-2005, 06:22 AM
As what I see, I know X50v's ROM is slower than other VGA PPC ROM in term of speed, if it isn't a big big impact on the responsivness of the PDA, I might ungrade coz I am really happy about the OS in the ROM instead of in the RAM.

I can't believe you get a hold of WM 5 CD so quickly, if they did send you the CD with the PDA, why wouldn't they just do the upgrade for you before they ship it out?

Sven Johannsen
09-13-2005, 06:01 AM
It has been in their promos that you will get the CD, and I know several folks that ordered Dells with the update being part of the order. You are the first person I know of that has received one. They were not expected to ship until October, and at this point the opportunity for older Dell owners to purchase it hasn't materialized.

I take it you have applied the upgrade?

pocketpcadmirer
09-13-2005, 09:33 AM
I also agree that there will a lot of software incompatibilty with wm5. So i suggest u all to stay and watch the software scene for about a year and then perhaps upgrade to wm5.

but eager beavers cant be stopped !!