View Full Version : A (possible?), annoying bug found in Messaging

Menneisyys
09-07-2005, 08:56 PM
I haven't managed to reproduce the bug I've run into today (I'm just developing a simple POP3 server emulator to be able to do this), but, as it may still 'bite' again, it's the best if you're aware of it too.

If you access your mailbox from Messaging (Pocket Inbox in pre-WM2003SE PPC versions) over POP3 and also delete the mail from your PDA mailbox (which, on the next connection, will result in deleting them from the POP3 server too), and then, after downloading the new mail and forcing Messaging to download some of the full bodies of some, selected mails (because you use the default, "download the first 2k of the mail body" mode of Messaging), sometimes, it makes mistakes by downloading the wrong ones - that is, it's still fetching the old mails, using their, before-the-deletion, old serial numbers (while the POP3 server has, in the meantime, has reordered the mail in it and has decreased the indexes by n for the first n deleted mail). This means these fetchings will download mail that is much newer than the wanted one.

Once again: of the several tests, this bug only came out two times. Therefore, you may not manage to reproduce it. I'll also go on making some extensive tests (I'm a TCP/IP pro - I know everything about TCP/IP protocols) to find out what exactly causes this behaviour.

For that time, it's still advisable not to delete mail bodies from Messaging, followed by forced mail body downloads - you may end up unable to read your particular mails entirely (because, after a failed download, you won't be able to redownload the mail once again on the same PDA, unless you set up a separate POP3 account to access the same mailbox). Also, I'd like to know whether any of you have run into the same problem.

Menneisyys
01-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Guys and gals, I've found a complete solution to this indeed existing bug. Please do read http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=452&more=1 if you use Pocket Inbox / Messaging to access your POP3 mail and often use Delete/Mark for Download.

scottb
01-15-2006, 07:05 PM
This bug is what always kept me from using POutlook to access my email directly from my POP3 account. Instead, I use Verizon Wireless' Wireless Sync to manage email from my PDA to avoid this problem. Wireless Sync collects the email from my POP account. I access my WS account from POutlook and manage it that way and it works well. Thanks for posting this--I'm sorry I missed the original post back in September.

Jon Westfall
01-15-2006, 07:07 PM
I used to have this happen all the time on my 6315 when I used Inbox heavily, good to know I wasn't crazy - it was really a bug.