View Full Version : Coming Soon: Battlestar: Fate of the Galactic Commonwealth

Jon Westfall
09-10-2005, 08:44 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.beyondthetech.com/downloads/programs/BattlestarFGC/battlestar-teaser.wmv' target='_blank'>http://www.beyondthetech.com/downlo...star-teaser.wmv</a><br /><br /></div><i>"How many PocketPC owners ever looked at their device like a tricorder or futuristic command console? Ever wanted to command a massive space vessel just as they do in Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica? This space combat game puts you in the captain's chair of the Commonwealth's most advanced prototype capital ship, the Battlestar PX-85601."</i><br /><br />While it's usually considered cruel to tease someone about upcoming PPC software and then come to light that it's not available, this is just too cool not to pass on. Ever since the days of somewhat-free-form games for PC that let you control the Enterprise (Star Trek Judgment Rights anyone?), I've been a fan of this genre. I hope the game comes out soon!

OSUKid7
09-10-2005, 09:11 PM
That's great! :rotfl:

Dalantech
09-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Looks like a port of the old classic star trek game that a lot of us use to play on main frames -but with MUCH better graphics!

Mitch D
09-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Gimme...Gimme...GIMME!!!!!! :robot:

Ripper014
09-10-2005, 10:35 PM
I guess it is just me... but I would rather see something more tactical... and less of regular shoot'em up. Something where it you have to maneuver yourself into position to take a shot. Where it would take some time to recharge or reload your weapons, we have enough games where you can just blindly fire. It would just be nice to see something more thoughtful.

Raphael Salgado
09-11-2005, 04:21 AM
Hello, everyone. I'm the developer of Battlestar: Fate of the Galactic Commonwealth, and just wanted to respond to say thanks for your "Pocket PC Thoughts" (pun obviously intended) on my upcoming game. Please allow me to give a little more insight so you can better whet your appetite. :wink:

The game is more than a shoot 'em up, since I did want an element of fun action in there. However, there's a LOT more involved than the video shows.

You currently have the ability to move your ship in any direction while firing in any direction, but your velocity will determine your accuracy of your aim. For instance, if you're moving at an angle of 45 degrees (upper-right) and fire towards a ship that's 90 degrees to the right of you, and you're also traveling at a high speed, you have to aim less than the 90 degrees, or your projectile will fly right past him.

During battle, parts of your ship can get damaged, starting with your shield. The shield strength will determine how damaged the hull gets, as well as your weapons array, impulse engines, sensors array, warp drive, and shield generator, not to mention the casualties of your crew.

When I mention that there's a lot more involved, here's an example of how hard the game can get: (By the way, the Battlestar does need to re-prime the weapons array before it can shoot, so blindly firing would not be wise.) The shield strength is determined by the shield generator which is protected by both the shield and the hull. The more the shield generator gets damaged, the slower the shield strength will take to restore to full capacity after a hit. The number of crewmembers aboard will determine how fast the shield generator gets repaired (along with the other subsystems, which you can prioritize). So, if your ship has suffered heavy casualties, it will take a lot longer for the shield generator to get repaired, which in turn will cause the shield strength to take longer to refresh itself, and in turn will cause more damage to the hull and the rest of the subsystems, depending on how the enemy is deciding to target you.

There are black holes, stars, wormholes, and nebulas (think Kirk and Khan in the Mutara Nebula in Star Trek II) where the shields and sensors will be heavily affected. You can divert power, assign damage control, and yes, the enemies can fire when cloaked. :twisted:

I hope I made it more "thoughtful" than a simple shoot 'em up, answers some of your questions, and gives you more to look forward to.

Here's some (slightly dated) screenshots:
http://beyondthetech.com/downloads/programs/BattlestarFGC/battlestar-teaser.jpg

Last, but definitely not least, I am looking for some assistance. Since there are over 110 voiceover phrases in the game (you heard just a few in the video teaser), I would like to make this game available in other languages. I am looking for people to provide their own voiceovers in their native languages, as well as translate the lines of text I have in the game (directions, instructions, interface, etc.) In return, I will give them a free copy of the game in English as well as their own language. Some languages I am specifically looking to do include Hebrew, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Dutch, and possibly Chinese and Japanese (the text and font work will be particularly interesting). Please send an email to raphael _AT_ beyondthetech.com if you can join me in the Commonwealth!

The English version of the game will hopefully be available on PocketGear, Handango, and other sites by early to mid-October.

This game is made possible on the Pocket PC, thanks to Makslane Araujo Rodrigues, developer of Game Editor Pro (http://www.game-editor.com). It's an awesome development environment to work in, and it ports the same code to Windows and Linux as well!

Ok, now, back to work I go!
0X

OSUKid7
09-11-2005, 04:27 AM
Some languages I am specifically looking to do include Hebrew, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Dutch, and possibly Chinese and Japanese (the text and font work will be particularly interesting).
What about Klingon? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon_language) ;) :lol:

Always nice to hear from developers. :)

beq
09-11-2005, 08:30 AM
Battlestar Galactica? Star Trek? Commonwealth (aka Andromeda)? Initially I was confused exactly which series the game is about :mrgreen:

Anyways, it looks awesome! The space battle video really brings back fond memories of the Star Control games, ahhh...

P.S. Does anyone else like the Battlestar Galactica series remake on TV? I love the intro sequence... (..."4x,xxx survivors... looking for a home... called earth")

Jonathan1
09-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Battlestar Galactica?

P.S. Does anyone else like the Battlestar Galactica series remake on TV? I love the intro sequence... (..."4x,xxx survivors... looking for a home... called earth")

I love the series. I actually own season one and season two keeps getting better and better. BS has breathed much needed life into a dieing genre. (With the exception of Stargate SG-1.)

As for the game. Here's hoping the creator has gotten licensing rights to the term Battlestar because if not I fully expect Universal to come a calling.

Raphael Salgado
09-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Here's hoping the creator has gotten licensing rights to the term Battlestar because if not I fully expect Universal to come a calling.

"Battlestar Galactica" is a trademark and copyright of Universal Studios. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLLP. All Rights Reserved.

"Battlestar," by itself, is not.

MitchellO
09-11-2005, 10:50 PM
http://beyondthetech.com/downloads/programs/BattlestarFGC/battlestar-teaser.jpg

This ship looks a lot like star trek.

I love star trek :D

badbob001
09-12-2005, 02:37 AM
Reminds me of a moment in Star Control 2. Someone should port that.

Ripper014
09-12-2005, 04:46 AM
I look forward to see what the finished product looks like... but based on the demo... it does not seem all that thoughtful a game. But I will reserve any further comments until we see a finished version.

I do a see a lot of nice touches... but do you really need to take on more than one enemy ship at a time...?