View Full Version : HDD

nevawlkalone
09-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Is there any way of installing a new internal hard disk drive on my iPAQ 2110? I was just wondering if it was possible as i have just put a new one in my pc and wondered if it could be done to PPC.

yankeejeep
09-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Your iPaq does not have an internal HDD. What you have is flashROM, non-volatile memory where a portion is reserved to hold the OS image and a portion is user-accessible (on iPaqs called File Store). This memory does not require power to maintain itself and remains intact even if your battery goes dead. On a PPC, you would not really want to try to change the ROM module, which is on the motherboard.

There are several options to add a HDD to a PPC if you have a compact flash (Type II) slot and they are usually called microdrives. However, with these you will use your battery up more quickly than with a memory card in the slot. They are getting better but a spinning disk still requires more power. A microdrive will give you more storage for the same price, but battery life is still much better with a flash memory card. Microdrives are not available in SD format.

kaitanium
09-07-2005, 04:06 PM
pocket pc doesnt not equal pc =P