View Full Version : VGA PocketPC?

InGearX
09-07-2005, 08:03 AM
I'm getting a new PocketPC after I cracked the touch panel on my iPaq 4155 (in a pocket)

VGA PocketPCs are hot... but I'm not sure which one to get?

I'm down between Axim X50v and iPAQ hx4700... ( full list http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm )

I do everything on a PPC including watching full 700MB DivX avi movies on them (during commute)...

And am not sure which will perform better and over all...

I hear VGA causes a ton of frame loss...
(Will Windows Mobile 5 for Dell do any help?)

Any help is much appreciated...

hiatus
09-07-2005, 08:34 AM
well I got the X50v cause of its price compare to the 4700
I like it so much now since I find the 4700 have only 5 app buttons and the dell got 6, no cursor, better D-pad, and the side button on the 4700 is hard to reach in Landscape mode....

As far as I know, TCPMP (as known as Betaplayer) support Dell's 16MB 3D graphic card and people could play a DivX movie at 406MHz mode without dropping frames on the Dell x50v, 200MHz mode plays ok but some frames will be dropped.

And I have never heard of dropping frames on a VGA pocket pc, coz they all have a very good processor.

Hope this help

ADBrown
09-07-2005, 08:51 AM
I've had both, and the X50v is by far superior. It's smaller, lighter, more elegant, has better controls, plus the aforementioned 16 MB 3D accelerator/video decoder, which not only lets you play perfect video, but actually lets you output that perfect video to an external monitor/projector/HDTV. Just about the only things that the iPaq has going for it is that the screen is a little more vivid, and the battery life is better.

Hoever, if I were you I would wait a couple of weeks before buying an Axim. A little delay will be worth it.

InGearX
09-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Thank you all for your replies...

The VGA problem was reported all over... and the problem can be seen even when switching btw. programs...
But I guess it was corrected w. patches/firmware OS upgrades?

Menneisyys
09-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Thank you all for your replies...

The VGA problem was reported all over... and the problem can be seen even when switching btw. programs...

You mean dropped frames whilke watching videos? With TCPMP, that's not really true with the usual 700-1000 kbps DivX/XviD videos. You will be able to play them even at 206 MHz on the Dell Axim x50v.

What hasan't yet been mentioned, but is also important: the hx4700 will only receive the WM5 upgrade next Spring, which is plain unacceptable.

That is, I'd go for the Axim (or, for that matter, the Pocket Loox 720- considered that? It has as vivid a screen as the hx4700 and still has much better battery life than the Axim).

InGearX
09-07-2005, 09:54 AM
the actual allover refresh rate in VGA (was (5 months ago - not sure about now) having problems...

I ran Spb Benchmark on ...

However, the hx4700's graphics performance is holding this device's overall score down. Its Graphics Index is just 1031. For comparison, the h4150's Graphics Index is 3858. I think this is something we're going to have to get used to, as it is simply going to take longer for a VGA screen to refresh than a QVGA screen does.
- http://www.brighthand.com/article/HP_hx4700_Review

What really surprised me when I did this is the low score the X50v received in graphics performance. It got a 489, less than half the score of the hx4700. Seeing as the X50v has a graphics accelerator, I expected it to easily outperform the hx4700.
- http://brighthand.com/article/Dell_Axim_X50v_Review

And it was all over the magazines... and everywhere...
I figured I'd get one and see for my self...

Thank you all...

Menneisyys
09-07-2005, 10:07 AM
the actual allover refresh rate in VGA (was (5 months ago - not sure about now) having problems...

I ran Spb Benchmark on ...

However, the hx4700's graphics performance is holding this device's overall score down. Its Graphics Index is just 1031. For comparison, the h4150's Graphics Index is 3858. I think this is something we're going to have to get used to, as it is simply going to take longer for a VGA screen to refresh than a QVGA screen does.
- http://www.brighthand.com/article/HP_hx4700_Review

What really surprised me when I did this is the low score the X50v received in graphics performance. It got a 489, less than half the score of the hx4700. Seeing as the X50v has a graphics accelerator, I expected it to easily outperform the hx4700.
- http://brighthand.com/article/Dell_Axim_X50v_Review

And it was all over the magazines... and everywhere...
I figured I'd get one and see for my self...

Thank you all...

Just ignore the synthetic graphics benchmark results like those of Spb Benchmark. They have nothing to do with practice and, therefore, must be ignored. Trust me: all VGA devices excel at playing even high-res videos with decent video players (TCPMP).

hiatus
09-07-2005, 09:13 PM
well, i have seen a lot of reviews before i got the X50v, first, you gotta no that it takes more power on a VGA screen that's why it's lower than the QVGA screen, but you cant really compare them, it's a VGA.

Second, the spb benchmark, as indicated by some reviewers, is not accurate on the graphic index for the X50v, coz it doesn't take the 3D graphics card into account, and yet it takes the 2M ATI card from the hx4700.

someone over Aximsite.com released a tweak called GAPItweak or something that's will boast the performance on the dell graphic in the 2D aspect i believe, it does better job than the Dell driver on Morghgear and other emulators

Nurhisham Hussein
09-08-2005, 01:42 AM
someone over Aximsite.com released a tweak called GAPItweak or something that's will boast the performance on the dell graphic in the 2D aspect i believe, it does better job than the Dell driver on Morghgear and other emulators

That was Picard (who's also the brains behind TCPMP).

Patrick Y.
09-08-2005, 03:13 AM
Several simple reasons to go for Dell:
1. Better Customer support
2. Get WM 5.0 upgrade for free in October
3. Elegant, superior design
4. Graphic accelerator for videos
5. I got my for at least $300 cheaper than iPAQ

etc.

If you want a device with with consumer IR and 256 MB of ROM, which is a good choice for WM5.0's persistant storage, you might want to wait for x51v. :wink:

Patrick

Clinton Fitch
09-08-2005, 04:23 AM
I'm a little late. but I bought a Dell x50v & love it!

It has great battery life & display

InGearX
09-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Thank you all... Yes X50v rocks... I can defiantly see how it struggles to pull and render data to display - after all it's 4x (+ some) much work but only a bit slower...

The TCPMP playback is flawless though - simply spectacular... I think it is because it takes advantage of the 16MB VC....

I am very surprised on how some applications / icons need to be stretched to fit the new size and look ridiculous... :(((

I got the Windows Media 5 CD - but see no reason to upgrade - only to find a land of incomparability...

Clinton Fitch
09-09-2005, 12:58 PM
I got the Windows Media 5 CD - but see no reason to upgrade - only to find a land of incomparability...

You got the upgrade CD from Dell?

Patrick Y.
09-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Thank you all... Yes X50v rocks... I can defiantly see how it struggles to pull and render data to display - after all it's 4x (+ some) much work but only a bit slower...

I am very surprised on how some applications / icons need to be stretched to fit the new size and look ridiculous... :(((

It is the same with every VGA POcket PC. :(

ADBrown
09-09-2005, 05:33 PM

Give it a little time, and you'll see ample reasons to upgrade. For instance, eliminating that little performance lag.

Patrick Y.
09-10-2005, 12:16 AM

You got the upgrade CD from Dell?

What's the Windows "Media" 5 CD anyway?

Clinton Fitch
09-10-2005, 02:39 AM
What's the Windows "Media" 5 CD anyway?

I think the OP meant Windows Mobile 5